Plugin Contributions

Default How to hide an attribute so that it is not shown in front end

Hi everyone

Name:  Skjermbilde 2023-09-29 195352.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  45.3 KB

Say i want to hide the attribute: 3m + 10m so that it is not shown in front end. How can i do this?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to hide an attribute so that it is not shown in front end

Delete it from this screen as in not make it an option associated with this product.

That at least is one solution.

It would really help for there to be an explanation about what you are really trying to accomplish...

There's ways to use css to hide it from the front end, but it comes down to, is this temporary? Why is it associated to begin with? What are your future plans? Why only hide on the store front? Etc...

No need to answer all of those, they are just example questions that would help the community identify how they can help you reach your goal.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Delete it from this screen as in not make it an option associated with this product.

That at least is one solution.

It would really help for there to be an explanation about what you are really trying to accomplish...

There's ways to use css to hide it from the front end, but it comes down to, is this temporary? Why is it associated to begin with? What are your future plans? Why only hide on the store front? Etc...

No need to answer all of those, they are just example questions that would help the community identify how they can help you reach your goal.

Thanks for your reply. Yes i know i can delete it. However then i have to somewhere write up the price so that i dont forget it. Yes it is temporary so that i can put it back on when it is back in stock. So i wanted to hide it simply so that it is not visible. Seems no way except deleting it?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by navido View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Yes i know i can delete it. However then i have to somewhere write up the price so that i dont forget it. Yes it is temporary so that i can put it back on when it is back in stock. So i wanted to hide it simply so that it is not visible. Seems no way except deleting it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    ... There's ways to use css to hide it from the front end ...
    As @mc12345678 says you can hide it with CSS. If you want to hide it for an individual product then you can create a product-specific stylesheet (see CSS_read_me.txt in the CSS folder) similarly for an individual category, otherwise add the CSS rules to your main stylesheet.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Will one of the "Stock by Attribute" plugins work to turn it off when stock = zero?

but possibly opening a new can-of-worms?
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by simon1066 View Post
    As @mc12345678 says you can hide it with CSS. If you want to hide it for an individual product then you can create a product-specific stylesheet (see CSS_read_me.txt in the CSS folder) similarly for an individual category, otherwise add the CSS rules to your main stylesheet.
    Using CSS to hide that option (via display: none;) still leaves the option for a crafty person to display and, thus, select it for purchase.

I'll suggest also marking that attribute as "Display Only" (the left-most icon) so that it can't be added to the cart.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by navido View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    Will one of the "Stock by Attribute" plugins work to turn it off when stock = zero?

but possibly opening a new can-of-worms?
    It seems that the desire is to support such common action (zero quantity of the product's attribute modifying display) routinely. If it is just a once in a while, for a very short time, affecting few items type of thing, then yes definitely a can-of-worms or overkill. If determined the desired way to go, then there are options of software out there from fully free open source to commercial.

As to retention of the associated data, there are other ways to "backup" the data such as exporting the attribute data for a product or category and ideally then to again upload that data back. I am not referring to a complete database backup and restore, but instead something that targets your need.

It's all about what capability you want to have, maintain, and will help you make the sales you need instead of messing around with your site and what you need now as compared to what you want available in the future.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Using CSS to hide that option (via display: none;) still leaves the option for a crafty person to display and, thus, select it for purchase.
    Absolutely and just one more reason for explanation of the desired goal.

As later identified, appears to be a stock by attribute related feature or perhaps more complicatedly stated appears to need product attribute modification based on attribute stock availability.