Plugin Contributions

Default Has the Idiotic Admin time limit been removed?

I know this will not be a popular post and I’ve vented my frustration before, about the Dumbest thing anyone has ever Forced in the Zen Cart Admin panel, namely the 15 minutes time limit before automatically logging you out and LOSING ALL YOUR WORK !!

Now I’ve heard all the red herrings on this issue, like security reasons, you can always use Word and then copy, etc etc. But frankly, this is the Dumbest thing ever included in the Zen Cart. I get the security reasons, however if you are familiar with other major shopping carts, NO ONE else does this because their security holes have been patched up without shutting down an Admin session. Obviously this was a band aid to resolve security flaws and/or coding shortcomings in Zen Cart. This is like 1990s software development protocol.

But, has this been Fixed, removed with latest version?
    Last edited by kevinmc3; 19 Oct 2023 at 04:28 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Has the Idiotic Admin time limit been removed?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmc3 View Post
    I know this will not be a popular post and I’ve vented my frustration before, about the Dumbest thing anyone has ever Forced in the Zen Cart Admin panel, namely the 15 minutes time limit before automatically logging you out and LOSING ALL YOUR WORK !!

Now I’ve heard all the red herrings on this issue, like security reasons, you can always use Word and then copy, etc etc. But frankly, this is the Dumbest thing ever included in the Zen Cart. I get the security reasons, however if you are familiar with other major shopping carts, NO ONE else does this because their security holes have been patched up without shutting down an Admin session. Obviously this was a band aid to resolve security flaws and/or coding shortcomings in Zen Cart. This is like 1990s software development protocol.

But, has this been Fixed, removed with latest version?
    It's been a while since I saw a zc154 site, but in the current version you can easily disable that feature via configuration settings.

Plugin Contributions

the categorizations in your post are really unnecessary. especially for an open-source project. have you contributed to the project in any way? over 1500 items for sale? do you give any of your financial gains to the zen-cart team or any of the few developers left?

i would encourage you to be more respectful when posting on this board, and leave your sense of entitlement behind. especially if you want any help.

there are 2 keys that you need to change. both are available from admin -> configuration -> my store. the keys are:

PADSS_ADMIN_SESSION_TIMEOUT_ENFORCED
    SESSION_TIMEOUT_ADMIN

turn the first one to non-compliant. and then the second one to however long you want in seconds.

these keys have worked for me since at least v157.

you are welcome.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    the categorizations in your post are really unnecessary. especially for an open-source project. have you contributed to the project in any way? over 1500 items for sale? do you give any of your financial gains to the zen-cart team or any of the few developers left?

i would encourage you to be more respectful when posting on this board, and leave your sense of entitlement behind. especially if you want any help.

there are 2 keys that you need to change. both are available from admin -> configuration -> my store. the keys are:

PADSS_ADMIN_SESSION_TIMEOUT_ENFORCED
    SESSION_TIMEOUT_ADMIN

turn the first one to non-compliant. and then the second one to however long you want in seconds.

these keys have worked for me since at least v157.

you are welcome.

Yes, I was expecting a slap or two. And justifiably so.

But I just came off of 45 minutes of working on something in Admin and lost it all, so my frustration and anger was still Hot. When you are working on something and get calls and go back to work, I suspect many people forget to stop Every time and remember, "Oh wait, my Zen expired after 15 minutes".

Zen Cart has served me well over the past 18 years but I’ve migrated my other sites to Shopify, so I guess I’ve just gotten spoiled.

But, thank you for your help and your sentiments are well taken. I should have waited 15 minutes before posting.

Plugin Contributions

> Re: Has the Idiotic Admin time limit been removed?

The management of the timeout (which is a requirement for PCI-DSS) has been migrated to the admin in more current versions of Zen Cart.

> Zen Cart has served me well over the past 18 years but I’ve migrated my other sites to Shopify, so I guess I’ve just gotten spoiled.

You're paying Shopify to manage your carts with them.

If you had been paying someone to manage your Zen Cart installation, you wouldn't have this problem.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I've always just opened the who's online page in a new tab and set it to refresh every 60 seconds to keep my session alive, then work in the admin backend using a second tab.