Plugin Contributions

Default Help with footers and messy layout, please!

First, I want to add links in the footer in neat columns instead of using the EZpages footers because these can't be centered, and clickable icons can't be added. I'd like maybe 3-4 columns with something like Important Info, Company Info, Social Media, Payment/Shipping, etc. It looks like there is a flexible footer plugin, but I cannot find anything that indicates it works with v1.5.7c.

I also need to tidy up these messy layout issues:
    1. I made the navigation bar search box longer in the tpl_search_header.php file, but when I did that, it pushed the search button to the next line, in turn, making the navigation bar too thick and covering up my header logo. When I try to make it smaller again, the search box size is reduced, but the search button stays below the search box.
    2. Can 'contact us' be linked in the navigation bar?
    3. I'd like to center the header image to reduce the appearance of all that blank space, but I cannot figure out how to do that.
    4. New Products on main page won't show the same number of products per row. I have tried setting it to anywhere from 3-5 products per row and every refresh, it will show a different number, say 4 on the top row, 3 on the second row, and 1 on the bottom. Is there a way to make this consistent? Same thing happens when you open a category, it's not consistent in showing the number of products displayed per row.
    5. Text on my product descriptions is very small. How can I change this across the board on all products? I'd like to make the text bigger on the category buttons and also in the Categories and Important Links sideboxes.
    6. Can the Important Links sidebox name be changed to something more pertinent, such as Personalization Info? When you click on a product, the column for the product attributes is huge and makes the page look really sloppy. Can this be made smaller?
    8. How do I category photo/description once you've clicked on a product within that category?
    9. How can I display the previous/return to product list/next buttons above AND below the item? And also remove the number of products shown above those buttons?
    10. Back to the home page, I cannot find the text for "Welcome to Personalized Pet ID!"...I obviously entered that somewhere, but I cannot find it again.
    11. New Products on home page - can these display ABOVE the text? Or better yet, can I just pick like 6 individual products to display here?

ZC Version: 1.5.7c
    Template: ZCA Bootstrap
    Plugins: Export Order/Shipping Information

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help with footers and messy layout, please!

I hunted forever, but I did finally find the answer to these two items:
    8. How do I category photo/description once you've clicked on a product within that category?
    9. How can I display the previous/return to product list/next buttons above AND below the item? And also remove the number of products shown above those buttons?

Plugin Contributions

3. and 5.:
    This can be edited at the stylesheet.css

8.:
    Click on the edit buttons instead of the category name to edit photo and description
    My Zen-Cart Vespa Shop.
    GDPR compliant Webhosting in Germany.

Plugin Contributions

I'd take another approach to 1.
    Instead of editing the template file I would rather edit the style for that element at the stylesheet file.
    My Zen-Cart Vespa Shop.
    GDPR compliant Webhosting in Germany.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Suey View Post
    I'd take another approach to 1.
    Instead of editing the template file I would rather edit the style for that element at the stylesheet file.
    The problem is that I can't find it. I used the inspect feature on Firefox and found some code, but it shows it being in a sheet called forms.scss, which does not seem to exist, but if found if I played around with checking and unchecking the box next to where is says display: block; it did correct the layout issue (see attached - the left side is with that checked; right side is with it unchecked). I used the developer's tool kit to search for that code and got a ton of results and would have no idea which one to change.

Name:  screen shots.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  40.7 KB

I have also tried inspecting for the font sizes in each listing and cannot locate that in the stylesheet to solve my issues on #3 (product description small text) and or the header logo centering issues on #5. I have solved #10 & #11.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_girl View Post
    The problem is that I can't find it. I used the inspect feature on Firefox and found some code, but it shows it being in a sheet called forms.scss, which does not seem to exist, but if found if I played around with checking and unchecking the box next to where is says display: block; it did correct the layout issue (see attached - the left side is with that checked; right side is with it unchecked). I used the developer's tool kit to search for that code and got a ton of results and would have no idea which one to change.

Name:  screen shots.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  40.7 KB

I have also tried inspecting for the font sizes in each listing and cannot locate that in the stylesheet to solve my issues on #3 (product description small text) and or the header logo centering issues on #5. I have solved #10 & #11.
    That

Code:
    <input class=form-control...
    is a child of

Code:
    <div id="navbarSupportedContent"...
    Adding this to your stylesheet.css should achieve what you want

Code:
    #navbarSupportedContent .form-control {
      display: inline;
    }
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Simon - THANK YOU!
    I appreciate you taking the time to explain and provide the necessary code, that fixed the navigation bar issue. Much appreciated!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_girl View Post
    First, I want to add links in the footer in neat columns instead of using the EZpages footers because these can't be centered, and clickable icons can't be added. I'd like maybe 3-4 columns with something like Important Info, Company Info, Social Media, Payment/Shipping, etc. It looks like there is a flexible footer plugin, but I cannot find anything that indicates it works with v1.5.7c.

I also need to tidy up these messy layout issues:
    1. I made the navigation bar search box longer in the tpl_search_header.php file, but when I did that, it pushed the search button to the next line, in turn, making the navigation bar too thick and covering up my header logo. When I try to make it smaller again, the search box size is reduced, but the search button stays below the search box.
    2. Can 'contact us' be linked in the navigation bar?
    3. I'd like to center the header image to reduce the appearance of all that blank space, but I cannot figure out how to do that.
    4. New Products on main page won't show the same number of products per row. I have tried setting it to anywhere from 3-5 products per row and every refresh, it will show a different number, say 4 on the top row, 3 on the second row, and 1 on the bottom. Is there a way to make this consistent? Same thing happens when you open a category, it's not consistent in showing the number of products displayed per row.
    5. Text on my product descriptions is very small. How can I change this across the board on all products? I'd like to make the text bigger on the category buttons and also in the Categories and Important Links sideboxes.
    6. Can the Important Links sidebox name be changed to something more pertinent, such as Personalization Info? When you click on a product, the column for the product attributes is huge and makes the page look really sloppy. Can this be made smaller?
    10. Back to the home page, I cannot find the text for "Welcome to Personalized Pet ID!"...I obviously entered that somewhere, but I cannot find it again.
    11. New Products on home page - can these display ABOVE the text? Or better yet, can I just pick like 6 individual products to display here?

ZC Version: 1.5.7c
    Template: ZCA Bootstrap
    Plugins: Export Order/Shipping Information

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    points 6 and 10 require changes to the language files - which should be template specific - but not necessarily.

Developers Tool Kit under admin is your friend here - go to 'Look-up in all files' down the bottom and search for the text phrases as they currently exist and hopefully it will list the files you need to look at.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by royaldave View Post
    points 6 and 10 require changes to the language files - which should be template specific - but not necessarily.

Developers Tool Kit under admin is your friend here - go to 'Look-up in all files' down the bottom and search for the text phrases as they currently exist and hopefully it will list the files you need to look at.
    Thank you for the nudge in the right direction...I need to remember to use this search tool. I located #6 in extra_definitions.php and #10 was in my index.php file.