Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Some thoughts about the admin

Quote Originally Posted by kelvyn
    I HAVE modded the cart. I've tweaked as best I can. But the admin side doesn't fully support over-rides, and I asked AGES ago whether the layout could be changed (after all, add more than a couple of contribs and the left hand menu rolls WAY off the screen, even at 1280x1024, meaning clever use of a 3 button mouse needed to click lowest items).
    In case you don’t know, some dumb tricks may help browsing the menu easily.
    1. Get a mouse with wheel functions. The wheel helps smooth menu browsing.
    2. If don't use wheel mouse for any reasons. Then while pointing the mouse cursor on the MENU, you can also combine with the use of the UP and DOWN keys of the keyboard. This gives the functions like the wheel of the mouse.
    (Please note the Mac mouse only with one button!)

It's about priorities - the Zen Cart site looks fine now - it's fantastic. A billion times better than the tired old site. With all the things that Zen Cart does
    need, what do you think a competition should be held for first?
    The admin design? Better "store owner" documentation? Better standards for over-rides and plugins? No: "The preparations are being made to hold a template design contest for the Powered by Zen Cart Support Site."
    If you don't like this, why you keep your mouth shut and don’t against the others who whining for new template design?

There is NOTHING WRONG with the Support Site! I'm colourblind and have lots of trouble with sites, but the scheme, layout, design and colours work fine for me here. It's not broke, why not use people's skill and goodwill to re-design the admin?
    Yes, personally the feel of the new forum very comfortable.

Again, there are still whining for the fonts, colors, pics and re-design. It is sad that, someone even almost pointing to the nose.
    I think I am the first one told some of them to get the Firefox and Stylish extension. By which they can work out their tastes in their browsers.

For the contest, it’s always a good idea to increase the members’ involvement.
    Please note the contest is the graphic, theme, template design. And re-design the Admin seems need programming consideration. In the first thought, they are two categories.
    Any way, as long as it doesn’t take much of the times from the Dev Team, why have excess words about it?
    A New Starter again

Plugin Contributions

Kelvyn,

You have obviously been involved in the Zen community for a long time. So, ZC must work for you at some level that is efficient else you would have moved on to something else. Your second clarifying post notwithstanding, you seem to think ZC is an old hag and that the dev are a bunch of miguided ##########.

Primarily, you seem to be complaining that you have a problem with the admin. It is a problem that is obviously managable (you are still using ZC remember) but makes your life difficult. Fair enough.

However, are you getting the picture that very few people, if anyone, shares your level of frustration? If you merely wanted to start a flame throwing contest, well, Success! On the other hand, if you really desire some progress on the admin you have likely taken a step backward. You just made people mad rather than inspire them to help solve your problem.

I, for one, do not have the programming skills to help with what you want done. I suspect that the number of people in this forum that DO have the skills is very small. Further, those with the skills, like the dev team, have limited time to devote to such a project. We could of course raise the money to put the dev team on full-time. I am donating and of course you are donating. Since you feel so free to blast their decision making you must be donating a great deal. Your sarcasm about the template contest was especially poignant.

Have I got this right? You are mad because the dev team has not addressed a problem that you have but are managing to live with. Mostly you are mad that they disagree with your sense of priority because they have said they intend to deal with it, just not as quickly as you would like. In order to prompt some support for your view you insulted the dev team and belittled the cart and community for not seeing it your way. Then, when happy zenners defended the team, you got huffy because no one seems to agree with and consequently you became ill-tempered over the template contest.

Is that about right?

I conclude you were mad and just needed to get some stuff off your chest so you posted a flame that was sure to get everyone riled up. Yes, that must be it. Otherwise, you really were expecting the community to line up with you and bash the dev team into submission. But ... that would indicate that you are just ungrateful and sour.

No, I like the first explanation better. Cheer up. Life is good. The cup is much more than half full. Be grateful.

Plugin Contributions

Re: Some thoughts about the admin

Quote Originally Posted by Sermonzone
    Kelvyn,You have obviously been involved in the Zen community for a long time.
    Yes, over 2 years now.
    you seem to think ZC is an old hag and that the dev are a bunch of miguided ##########.
    However, are you getting the picture that very few people, if anyone, shares your level of frustration?
    Not at all. Whether those people asre willing to stand up and be counted is a different matter. Quite often, people don't seem to want to be seen making a fuss. Therefore, make exactly this point on some of the other Zen Cart forums around (have a google)

Often, they can't be bothered. That's all fine. Their choice.

Then, far worse, and what bothers me, are those who say "it's free, therefore you have no right to make any suggestions".
    if you really desire some progress on the admin you have likely taken a step backward. You just made people mad rather than inspire them to help solve your problem.
    I don't see that at all.[QUOTE]I, for one, do not have the programming skills to help with what you want done. I suspect that the number of people in this forum that DO have the skills is very small. Further, those with the skills, like the dev team, have limited time to devote to such a project. [QUOTE]So why not make a priority of making the admin side over-rideable? That way, people COULD make the admin functional.
    Waaay back, several revisions ago, before the database indexing had happened and slowness was a problem, while I was onto my third host because the massive amount of queries (897 per page instead of the possible 3 or 4) were getting me kicked off, back when every single new page requires something like 7 files to be added and edited, what was added? Music downloads! How many cart owners do you think offer music downloads, vs the amound that sit there moving one product at a time, while their morning ebbs away?

While we're on templates, why have a 3/4 template system, when most of the "core" modules over-ride files which don't have over-rides.
    No-one's said what the problem with making pages and modules over-rideable so that contribs DON'T have to touch core code.
    Have I got this right? You are mad because the dev team has not addressed a problem that you have but are managing to live with.
    I'm not "mad" at all, I'm frustrated
    In order to prompt some support for your view you insulted the dev team
    If you think an opinion is an insult, well....
    and belittled the cart
    wrong
    and community
    where?
    for not seeing it your way. Is that about right?
    I'd say probably not, wouldn't you?
    I conclude you were mad and just needed to get some stuff off your chest so you posted a flame that was sure to get everyone riled up.
    Be grateful.
    OK, I wasn't going to do this at first. Clearly, you think I am alone in wanting to suggest improvents to the admin from the perspective of someone who has run three shops for 5 years using 3 different carts. So, why not have a poll?
    Whether you care about Zen Cart or not, visit the poll

Plugin Contributions

An earlier post in this thread said the changes needed to make the admin more pleasing are superficial page coding for layout.

That sounds like it should be easy then, layout is far easier than database integration for instance.

Is there a way to contribute to this project first hand and make it pretty?

Also when are the contributions sections coming back online? I know wrong forum but the word got trggered in my mind. Apologies in advance.
    Greg Krynen

www.krynen.com - Interesting answers
    www.PurpleDragonGifts.com - Jewelry and other gifts
    www.PurpleDragonTraders.com - Beads

all of life is 50/50

Plugin Contributions

Kelvyn, the only issue I have is you keep hounding and the devs have said that the admin will get re-worked,

but they have an outline and a direction,
    they have pointed this out several times in the past.
    when the get to totally rebuild admin ( cosmetics isnt going to cut it ) on their list they will do it.

as for over rides, well you can over ride the module files, you cant over ride the modules/pages/ folders. and thats real simple anyway rename the old one.....

most people will be making changes cosmetically,. so they dont need to over ride the pages folders.....

there was a good logic there, and more and more things are being added to the template structure.. just give it time,

no one has discounted what you have said,
    they have heard you, you havent heard them.........
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

I find the thing that helped me the most was going through the admin css files and changing the brown to a cool blue.. it made the admin atmosphere a bit friendlier to my subconscious:

(see image)
    Last edited by qhome; 9 Apr 2008 at 03:38 AM.

Plugin Contributions

I just read this thread and am in dire need to throw in my 2 cents worth.It's funny how ppl can b**ch and complain about a "free shopping cart". You need to change this, I think this needs changed to accomodate this that and the other, when in all actuality I see the b**ching and moaning and groaning and thats all it is.Now in the real world," I am sorry I know there is more than just me out here in this scenario", I go to work everyday at a job where I supervise 40 women in the shipping dept of a factory.Now of these women 10 pretty much do their job and go home w/out much to say,20 of them have suggestions regularly to get the job done that is worthy of merit or is a good suggestion.And 10 want to just gripe and complain everyday about this that and the other.And when you try to satisfy those 10 complainers they find something else to b**ch about.They are never satisfied or happy in the least.Now I am sure the Dev Team feels the same way I do,The more you try to satisfy everyones needs,there is always someone or a lot of someones who are going to find something to whine about or something to complain about in what you just tried to fix or correct in the begginning.
    Now in my instance, and I am sure the Dev Team would like to say it many times over but it is not good ethics or good overall for their bussiness, to tell these whiners and complainers you have several options:
    1. Find you another shopping cart or for me McDonalds is hiring,
    2. Fix the problems yourself i.e. Learn how to hard code and make the changes yourself.
    3. Hire someone to do it for you.Then you'll have something to complain about there to..someone taking your cash.
    4. Delete everything on your comp. throw it in the trash and get a real world job where noone cares if you have a complaint because they just want you to do the job and go home.
    5. Make due with what you got and quit the complaining and whining.If it's worth note on making something good even better then post it, I am sure if the Dev Team thinks it's worth fixing or correcting they will get right on it.
    Now as for me I am quite happy with a "free shopping cart", where yes I have bumps and glitches I need to address and fix, but I don't whine and complain, I ask for help and the Dev Team has tried their best to fix and help out.
    You know it's funny if you look at what the Dev Team is doing daily on this forum and then everyone should stop and think,how are these ppl living?They sure aren't doing it by answering forum questions, because then it would be a ppp forum(pay per post).They are doing this as a post service to the shopping cart they have created.
    My hats off to the dev team for creating an excellent shopping cart and taking the time to address the many questions and problems that arise.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Sermonzone
    Primarily, you seem to be complaining that you have a problem with the admin. It is a problem that is obviously managable (you are still using ZC remember) but makes your life difficult. Fair enough.

However, are you getting the picture that very few people, if anyone, shares your level of frustration?
    Umm actually it is a bit frustrating to use the interface as is. Especially when having to upload three different size images, many many mouse clicks are needed. I know there are add ins that will help with this but I personally dont like using lots of add ins because it makes upgrading iffy. And since the shop requires three sizes of pictures the code should automatially support resizing or there should be three upload slots on that page!

Now, onto the menu thing, I have noticed if you click the headings for each part of the admin menu it will go to a single page VERY SCROLLABLE menu all in the left column. I have used it once or twice when on a machine stuck at 800x640 at a friends house.
    Greg Krynen

www.krynen.com - Interesting answers
    www.PurpleDragonGifts.com - Jewelry and other gifts
    www.PurpleDragonTraders.com - Beads

all of life is 50/50

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Gkrynen
    Umm actually it is a bit frustrating to use the interface as is. Especially when having to upload three different size images, many many mouse clicks are needed. I know there are add ins that will help with this but I personally dont like using lots of add ins because it makes upgrading iffy. And since the shop requires three sizes of pictures the code should automatially support resizing or there should be three upload slots on that page!
    The Admin is scheduled for rewrite in version 1.6. In the meantime (and possibly thereafter) you only need one add-in to take all the effort out of handling images and that's Image Handler. It's a well-supported add-in that shouldn't cause to many problems when you upgrade.
    Last edited by kuroi; 29 May 2006 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Gkrynen
    I personally dont like using lots of add ins because it makes upgrading iffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroi
    you only need one add-in to take all the effort out of handling images
    IH is great, but it overwrites a LOT of core files. Bu that takes me down the "need file over-rides" line, which is a different tangent.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroi
    The Admin is scheduled for rewrite in version 1.6
    *sigh*
    OK, where did you get that info from?It's been 1.4, 1.5 and now 1.6
    I'm not saying you're wrong, I've not seen that info before, and that's going to be around 2009!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast