Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

Is there no way to separate the GST and PST onto two separate lines?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sae
    Is there no way to separate the GST and PST onto two separate lines?
    Not built-in at the present time.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Just an update for everyone, as of yesterday (July 1st, Canada Day) our GST will be reduced to 6%. Google turned up this quick link: http://sbinfocanada.about.com/b/a/257235.htm

go figure, I'd only find this out after I've already configured for 7% just yesterday, HA!
    jumpingthroughhoops
    I just love Zen Cart! <--- hehe, that's as funny as i can be right now...

Plugin Contributions

Ya, I changed mine.

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

Any idea how taxes are configured if the store / business is in Ontario, and it ships to both within Canada and the US? It appears to me that since the sale goes outside of Canada no GST/PST/HST is charged.

thank you,

Daniel

Plugin Contributions

I charge tax to everyone (but I am expecting to have all my sales within Canada).

You can do what you are describing by "zones" Set up a US zone and a Canada zone. Then apply the tax only to the Canada Zone.

Plugin Contributions

Hey Canadians!

just a tip, as of july 1, 2006, Canadian GST is reduced to 6 percent. Dont forget to change your stores.

--Ben

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by grossd
    Hello,

Any idea how taxes are configured if the store / business is in Ontario, and it ships to both within Canada and the US? It appears to me that since the sale goes outside of Canada no GST/PST/HST is charged.

thank you,

Daniel
    Daniel, the general rule of thumb as far as I've seen to this point is that if the sale SHIPS to a region for which you ARE registered to collect taxes, you collect them. Otherwise, you do not.

And, usually you only register to collect taxes in the states/provinces in which you have physical DOB addresses.

Naturally, there are always exceptions which vary by industry, and a consultation with your tax professional (accountant) should clarify these issues for you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

I'm setting up a store for a client in Quebec where they have their PST applied on top of the GST.

I used the same setup as noted for Ontario (which I have working super fine on my cart) but it's not charging ANY taxes for Quebec at all when I test it.

I set up the Zones as noted in the instructions and set the Quebec PST to be priority 2 so that it would charge the 7.5% on top of the 6% GST.

I have created 2 test products - one which should have both taxes charged and one that should be PST only.

When I test using a shipping address in Ontario, it charges me 6% GST as it should. :) When I test using a shipping address in Ontario, it should be charging me (on a 10.00 GST/PST item and a 10.00 PST item):

GST: $0.60
    PST: $1.55

It comes up with NO TAXES at all.

Is it because the postal shortform is different? IE. it could be QC or PQ? I also tried Quebec in my address...

Thanks!

http://67.19.186.2/~azure

Jennie

Plugin Contributions

Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

While following the very helpful directions written here (Thank you!) I have somehow converted all of my shopping cart buttons to a 'contact us' button link to the "contact us" page. Does anyone know if this is a coincidence? I have also been altering some of the html to customize my pages, maybe that is actually the source of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast