Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

Changing the "handling" fee inside my Canada Post client profile has helped to cover the shortfall. Of course, the fact that my profile still had my BC postal code as my "warehouse" location didn't help matters much. Okay, the minor shipping cost problem has been solved. Moving on.

a.h.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, adjusting the price is the appropriate way to go. Collecting a tax on any part of your sale without having registered would be a big mistake.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Dr Byte,

I just searcherd and found this thread, I wanted to say thank you for this step by step tutorial before I start off with my modifications to continue the oppression to all the poor Canadians.

But I guess its better to collect the taxes from the buyers instead of the government charging me if they ever audit me hehe

You always come through!! Thanks again

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    You're going to get yourself into trouble if you start playing the "collect on some but not on others" games. If you're collecting tax then collect tax. If you're not, then don't. I can't see any way at all that you can collect just on shipping and not on your products.

IF you are operating as a business, then you collect tax for your goods and shipping and you pay tax on your inputs and shipping. How it washes out at tax time depends on if you spent more or sold more.

IF you are NOT operating as a business of any consequence (and that's OK - I think there's a $30,000 threshold where you don't have to register/collect) then you do NOT have to collect NOR remit taxes, but you still pay on everything. That's your choice as a very small business.

But its all or nothing and you can't pick and choose. If you are choosing to absorb the taxes then you must absorb all the taxes, including on your shipping costs and you can NOT collect taxes to recover that unless you register with the gov't for a tax ID. Once registered, you MUST charge and collect taxes on all applicable goods and services (your stuff plus shipping) and you MUST remit that at the end of the year/quarter/etc.
    If a Status Indian presents an ID, you must rebate the provincial portion of the HST.
    Over the Internet, I'm assuming they would have to pay the full amount and apply for a rebate directly to the government.

This info is regarding Ontario, but I know there is a countrywide exemption for Status Indians: http://news.ontario.ca/rev/en/2010/0...s-indians.html

Plugin Contributions

Has anyone had to setup their cart post-HST with point-of-sale rebate items? http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/taxtips/hst/pdf/09.pdf

I've tried it but my cart is charging 0% on those items.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for you time on this - much appreciated!

Plugin Contributions

Dr. Byte, An informative post !
    Last edited by usr50; 17 Feb 2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: updated

Plugin Contributions

I don't see anything in here about taxes for the 13.5% tax in Quebec, 10% in Sask or 12% Manitoba. Am I missing something?

Plugin Contributions

Those provinces still charge both GST and PST. I believe you are responsible only for collecting the GST portion, unless your store is located in one of them. Hope that helps.

Colleen

help question Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

Dr. Byte...something peculiar...

I've configured the taxes as per the instructions and consulted the "modified instructions" in this thread...and it seems to be working well...however I just had a sale to Alberta (I'm in Ontario) and it charged 0 tax!? I'm confused as to what went wrong. Help?

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast