Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

I dunno... just came out that way when I was finished following the instructions above. Mind you, I've done a LOT of mods to my site so maybe its not normal. I actualy don't like it... too many bloody lines. I now have it so it combines everything onto one line: "GST + PST: $4.28" and let the customer figure out what part is for shipping if they really care... its not like it is difficult math.

As far as what to charge HST on... EVERYTHING. Anything you collect GST on, you should collect HST on... they are one in the same... no difference at all. The question isn't "what" do you charge it on, its "who". Any customer from NS, NL, and NB - regardless of where YOU do business (as long as you are in Canada). Follow the instructions carefully, it does HST correctly.

Someone above said they are charging taxes to everyone, even those outside of Canada. That's just wrong. As a Canadian business, you *NEVER* collect Canadian taxes on goods destined to any foreign country. You're just ripping your customer off and causing yourself a headache later. Don't do it... take the 35 seconds required to learn and understand zones (or just follow the instructions above) and do it properly.

All Canadians should use the default setting of charging taxes based on shipping address, not billing or store address. You don't need to set up any zones other than what is described above for tax purposes... just follow those steps and you are good to go as far as taxes are concerned.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You might find this helpful ... it needs a bit of touching-up, but the basic core is there:
    I've followed these instructions to the letter, and now my product prices are strangely wrong. For instance: I've got a product that, when I view its record in admin, shows retail price Net $18.00, and Products Price (Gross) is $22.86 (apparently 27% tax). In the catalog page for the product, the price states $20.00 (apparently 11% tax?).

Any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

Are you in Canada? If so, the catalog page for the product should show $18.00 because we don't display prices inclusive of taxes here (there is an option for that in the settings somewhere). For Canadian taxes, neither 27 or 11 make sense though. Is this a live site? Can I check it out?

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    Are you in Canada? If so, the catalog page for the product should show $18.00 because we don't display prices inclusive of taxes here (there is an option for that in the settings somewhere). For Canadian taxes, neither 27 or 11 make sense though. Is this a live site? Can I check it out?

- Steven
    I'm in Vancouver. In Admin > Configuration > My Store, "Display prices with tax" is set to false. You can check out http://www.room6.com/index.php - thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Ok, one more thing... can you give me a specific product (that you have stock of) and tell me what price you THINK should be displayed (ie... what you entered in as price in the admin.)?

Because I confirmed that with the prices it DOES show... taxes are calculated correctly.

BTW... Very nice site. I really wish I had a modicum of artistic ability so I could make a creative-looking website like yours. I think far too linear and logical... mine always work well, but they are a slight variation on the standard 3-column box.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Ok, one more thing... can you give me a specific product (that you have stock of) and tell me what price you THINK should be displayed (ie... what you entered in as price in the admin.)?

Because I confirmed that with the prices it DOES show... taxes are calculated correctly.
    Sure - check out this product at http://www.room6.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=256. In the admin, the Net price is set to $14.00 and the Gross price is calculated to $17.78. In the catalogue page, as you can see, the price displays as $15.56.

BTW... Very nice site. I really wish I had a modicum of artistic ability so I could make a creative-looking website like yours. I think far too linear and logical... mine always work well, but they are a slight variation on the standard 3-column box.

- Steven
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If the taxed price in the product-entry page is calculating out to something odd, check that the Tax Class is selected properly, and that your Store Zone (Admin->Configuration->My Store) is correct. That calculation is based on assuming your customers are from the Store Zone region, even though the customers will really be taxed based on their "own" region after they log in.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If the taxed price in the product-entry page is calculating out to something odd, check that the Tax Class is selected properly, and that your Store Zone (Admin->Configuration->My Store) is correct. That calculation is based on assuming your customers are from the Store Zone region, even though the customers will really be taxed based on their "own" region after they log in.
    For the product mentioned above, the tax class is set to GST/HST/PST Class. The store zone is set to British Columbia (store is based in Vancouver).

Plugin Contributions

This is an educated guess... currencies. Just the numbers being used that don't make sense with the taxes you've described... is it possible your store currency is set to USD and your users are using CAD? I don't see a selector on your site where I can choose a currency, so I'm wondering if you have that hardcoded somewhere, or if you are perchance using my userCurrency mod and it is being selected for us based on location?

Just a thought

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Another suggestion... because I am very curious... backup your site completely (for your own peace of mind) then change the admin password temporarily and pm me the username and password so I can take a look. When I'm finished, change the password back.

The backup is there in case you can't trust me :) I won't take it personal.

- Steven

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast