Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

Ok the above post is wrong. the GST is right,but now I need to add a 70 cents Service Charge BEFORE the GST. Any ideas on how to accomplish this??

Plugin Contributions

Yeah... don't. Why bother with a separate service charge??? Just add some small amount to your shipping costs as a handling fee. Don't complicate things for really no reason. People won't even notice a $0.70 increase in shipping but as a service charge they are likely to see you as nickle and diming them. Up to you, but if you insist on doing it your way, you should start a new thread somewhere because it really has nothing to do with this topic.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Opps I meant a order processing charge. I figured it out all I had to do was install thw low order fee module and then just chage the wording from low order fee to order processing fee. Also this is for Avon Canada and they require this fee on all there products,even if you aren't selling online.

And what is 70 cents now a day when most people can afford 2007 Trucks,$350,000 homes, $45,000 quads,$50,000 Fifth wheel trailers.

Plugin Contributions

They can't afford those things. That's why we have debt problems, unaffordable housing, homeless people, and poor education.

Glad you figured it out!

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

This was mentioned in another thread, but seems to have been overlooked...

What do we do for specific customers who are PST exempt?

ie.
    Customer A, in Ontario, buys product X and pays both PST/GST.
    Customer B, in Ontario, buys product X, is PST exempt so only pays GST.

Same product, and same shipping location yet different tax situation. (as if Canadian taxes weren't confusing enough)

Any thoughts?

Plugin Contributions

I don't think its been "overlooked" so much as its just the product isn't really designed for it. I totally see your point though.

In my case, these transactions are VERY far in few in between (only twice in three years) so I just manually adjust after-the-fact by going directly into the database.

Probably what you need is a 3rd party contrib that allows for tax-exempt customers. The contrib would calculate based on one zone, unless tax-exempt is true, in which case it would base it on a different zone. In your case customer B would have a zone of Ontario, but for tax-only calculations would have a zone of Alberta (for example). Something like this may already exist - I'm not sure.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Configuring Taxes for Canadian Sites/Zones

Anyone know if there have been any developments as far as displaying GST/PST on separate lines?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    Anyone know if there have been any developments as far as displaying GST/PST on separate lines?
    This one is needed. This has kept me from going with Zen and instead I'm stuck with the retarded template system in X-Cart (WTF? are they thinking)

Plugin Contributions

why is it so "needed"? There is no tax requirement (that I am aware of) that requires you to break down the two taxes on seperate lines. In fact, hand written receipts that just say "tax included" are fine... as long as it mathematically is sound, and it is reported properly to the government(s), it really doesn't matter.

So if you have a reason, say so... otherwise "needed" is a bit of an over-statement and if this is the sole reason you are using an inferior shopping cart, well...

"desired" I can understand.

If it is for your own tax reporting purposes, there are simple SQL commands you can use to directly query your database to determine how much GST or PST you have collected.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    why is it so "needed"? There is no tax requirement (that I am aware of) that requires you to break down the two taxes on seperate lines. In fact, hand written receipts that just say "tax included" are fine... as long as it mathematically is sound, and it is reported properly to the government(s), it really doesn't matter.

So if you have a reason, say so... otherwise "needed" is a bit of an over-statement and if this is the sole reason you are using an inferior shopping cart, well...

"desired" I can understand.

If it is for your own tax reporting purposes, there are simple SQL commands you can use to directly query your database to determine how much GST or PST you have collected.

- Steven
    Well the retail industry that I'm is reviewed by Revenue Canada quite a bit. We have to keep strict tax details and records to make it easy for us to deal with audits and to keep them off our backs. But I'll double check with my accountant tomorrow I believe in BC you have to show PST on a separate line.

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast