Plugin Contributions

PHP Error in ZC: "Your script possibly relies on session side-effects..."

My client just tried testing her site by purchasing a product to see if Paypal was working properly. When she was directed to the payment page, she noticed the following message at the bottom of the page (I've been able to duplicate/verify the error):

"Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0"

Her host gives access to the php.ini settings file, so I'm fully able to disable the message entirely, as the error messages suggests. However, I would like to first verify that such a change won't cripple ZC in any other way. Any insight/comments? Should I worry?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
    Gabriel

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PHP Error in ZC: "Your script possibly relies on session side-effects..."

Perhaps the version of Zen Cart you are using the PHP version and some other information about your server would be helpful?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PHP Error in ZC: "Your script possibly relies on session side-effects..."

Sorry for the lack of info Kim. My mistake.

I just put up a phpinfo() page @ http://raquelcastillodesigns.com/servinfo.php for you to look at. It *hopefully* has all the info you need. Definitely let me know if you still need more details though.

Also to answer your question, the store is running Zencart v1.3.0.1.

Thanks again!

Plugin Contributions

I would suggest upgrading php,
    PHP Version 4.3.2 is outdated
    I would stay in the 4 series though
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969
    I would suggest upgrading php,
    PHP Version 4.3.2 is outdated
    I would stay in the 4 series though
    Good point, I'll speak with her host and see if they would be willing to upgrade PHP to something a bit newer.

Still though, I've been re-reading the error I posted about and I don't necessarily believe upgrading PHP would fix her problem. Do you disagree?

Should I just follow the error messages directions ("disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off") or is this risky?

Thanks,
    Gabriel

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I cannot speak for any other scripts you may be using, but disabling the warning will have no adverse affects on Zen Cart.

However, as Tony mentioined, v4.2.3 is an old version and not strictly supported by ZC (we expect people to be using 4.3+ for various other reasons)

You should really bug your host to upgrade, given the number of security issues that are addressed in versons after 4.2.3

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wilt
    I cannot speak for any other scripts you may be using, but disabling the warning will have no adverse affects on Zen Cart.

However, as Tony mentioined, v4.2.3 is an old version and not strictly supported by ZC (we expect people to be using 4.3+ for various other reasons)

You should really bug your host to upgrade, given the number of security issues that are addressed in versons after 4.2.3
    Appreciate your insight Wilt. I'll follow the error message directions then and disable the warning.

Also, you'll be glad to know that the site IS running PHP Version 4.3.2 ...not 4.2.3. I'm guessing you just didn't load up the phpinfo() page, but no worries ;)

Thanks for your help.