Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: the simplest possible one page site

You might also just think about using paypal and there shopping cart... its free and just takes a couple min to setup...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stbede77
    You might also just think about using paypal and there shopping cart... its free and just takes a couple min to setup...
    with paypal i can't manage my invnetory. if someone wants to buy something that is not in stock and the transaction gets through, i will have to pay for chargeback, not worth the trouble.

Plugin Contributions

How many times and how many ways do I need to say this before it becomes clear?

A template is just a design. It has no impact on how your store operates other than dictating how it looks. You already have a simple template called classic in there to get you started. Anyone with half an ounce of sense who wanted a basic template with no images would come to the conclusion, you simply copy the classic template - rename it something else, open up each file, customise it and do the same for the css.

In your case, for a simple white template, you need only open the css file and remove all references to the background images.

This is not rocket science. If you cannot figure this out for yourself how on earth do you hope to manage the development of your store?

You said in a previous post you understood the mechanics of how ecommerce carts and templates work. If this were the case you should have arrived at the solution I have just presented ages ago.

Plugin Contributions

the install doesn't have the default template installation option (it's just classic and blue strip).

i know that i can edit css and i did. but i don't know php and i am scared to break stuff.

change things in files?? ok. go and spend time looking for a file containing "breadcrumbs" element, and then try to change the reference of "home" in breadcrumbs to another url. for someone not familiar with install's structure, it's easily a two hour long exercise. i just don't have that much time, but i basically have no choice....

granted this stuff is free, so i am not REALLY complaining.

from a stand point of a beginner though, the two most helpful things are the following:

index of where the key elements of the output are located, in which files... e.g. breadcrumbs - includes/templates/englishXXXX;
    logo - includes/templates/images/;
    "sales message goes here" - a/b/c;

even easier, and that's what i am hinting at all along, is to have the install that comes with a dummy site where i can just go and edit the product name, attributes, values, layout, taxes, shipping, without editing code. that's all anyone needs from a cart at first to start fast.

yeah, and dude, don't lecture me, it's rude.
    Last edited by simple; 12 May 2006 at 05:10 PM.

Plugin Contributions

1. classic is the default, all you really need to edit is the css and you could have almost what you want to have...

2. I understand the issue about not wanting to break anything, but there are two easy work arounds.
    A. set up a demo site that you can use to learn and simply delete and reinstall when needed (it would be only a matter of adding the install files and dumping the DB if you did need to start over) for practice
    B. Make copies of each folder as you change them...

go and spend time looking for a file containing "breadcrumbs" element, and then try to change the reference of "home" in breadcrumbs to another url. for someone not familiar with install's structure, it's easily a two hour long exercise.
    Ok, I learned all my coding over the past three years from coding, breaking and reinstalling phpbb, and phpnuke and ahem...yes, silly mistakes while upgrading my ZenCart...and I go to school for no less than 15 credits a semester (more than full time) working on majors in both psychology and art - carry higher than a 3.5 gpa (LOTS of studying), I run a crisis group for those who have certain extreemly difficult mental disorders, run a suicide crisis line on my IM, have a cat that constantly pats my leg, a boyfriend who won't shut the darn tv off - EVER I do graphic design, a garden and take time every night to watch adult swim...almost all while coding my web projects...so believe me...I totally understand where you're coming from...

And I'm not lecturing, I'm just telling you that it's worth every minute of stress and frustration when I realize that I actually KNOW something...it feels really good to know that I can do this.

4. You can find the codes for those things by using the Tools>Web Developers Kit in your control panel...use the search all link at the bottom.

Plugin Contributions

@sabastina

Betcha squeeze a sandwich in there somewhere too :)

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12