Plugin Contributions

Default Problems connecting to mySQL

Hello:

I was hoping someone could help me figure out why I'm having trouble connecting to my mySQL db.

I'm installing ZenCart for a friend's online business. I have successfully connected and modified ZenCart (and mySQL) to my own website without absolutely no problems.

Now, I just downloaded the new version of ZenCart and am installing a clean copy on her server. I verified with her hosting company that they met the requirements for ZenCart and they said they did.

Now I'm trying to install ZenCart and I get the big red X next to MySQL support in the Set up System Inspection page:
    # Register Globals = OFF
    # MySQL Support = OFF Click here for more info
    # MySQL Version = Unknown Click here for more info

If I continue to the database setup page, and fill out the information I got from her hosting company, I get an error and it won't let me continue:
    "Warning: Problems Found
    * Database not supported more info..."

Her hosting company forwarded me the below db info:
    Database
    --------
    host: local-xdb (this host is only visible from the web server)
    version: mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.11, for pc-linux-gnu (i386)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problems connecting to mySQL

Hello,

the errors you are receiving seem to be in conflict with the information you have received from your host.

They may indeed have a funky setup which prevents zen cart from reading the DB info - however, I am not certain you would see this error:

# MySQL Support = OFF Click here for more info
    We have a similar setup (where the db server is only accessible from the web servers and zen cart spits out a warning that it cant read the db server info - not the error you are seeing.

Irregardless, ask your host for an IP address of their DB server and try using that in the host info area.

Hopefully this will resolve your problems - however, I suspect there is something more at play here.
    Andrew
    www.cartikahosting.com
    Business Grade, Clustered Application Hosting with years of superior uptime history
    Host Zen Cart on Linux, Windows or FreeBSD

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problems connecting to mySQL

This part of the installer hasn't changed between versions, as far as I can tell.

The error "Database not supported" suggests that the "mysql_connect()" function cannot be located in your server's PHP library of client functions. Since this function is used to talk to the database when it needs to establish a connection before sending queries, it's rather critical.

Technically, what's failing is this command:
    PHP Code:
    if (function_exists('mysql_connect')) {....proceed.... } 
    You need to talk to your host about why the mysql functions aren't available to your hosting account.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.