Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default News & Article Management [Support]

Archived News & Article Management support thread can be found at:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11372

Original post on Jan 23 2005. 311 posts in the archived thread.
    Last post in archived thread is May 04 2006:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...stpost&t=11372

Link to module download and documentation is at:
    http://www.dream-scape.com/pub/zenca...es_Management/

Plugin Contributions

Default Continued N&AM issues on v.1.27

Awhile back I installed version 2.110 of this mod on Zen Cart 1.27. However the N&AM "Summary" appears on the shoppe home page twice (directly on top of each other) and I still do not know how to repair.

In Admin when I set Display News Summary to false both Summaries go away. But setting to true again redisplays the duplicated summaries.

Is this a bug? Other folks have asked this question before without any response. Any ideas what would cause such behavior?

Another question: Can comments be moderated? In admin can set "Comments require customer login" for user to post comments.

But is there a moderator queue (ala mailing list) for comment posts? Or at least a method to edit posts? (I understand I can edit the dB but hoping an admin GUI is available for moderation... If not suggestion for a future upgrade). Thanks.

Woody

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: News & Article Management

Looks like no solution to the duplicate summary issue I pointed out in previous posts. Bummer.

Beyond that I just discovered someone is spamming comments to a posted news article. Even though I configured the mod to allow comments from logged in users only, this person is not logging in when making comments (at least I see no account name with the name the spammer is using to post).

And unless I missing a configuration setting I cannot see any method to turn off posting Comments.

Below are my settings under Configuration > News & Article Management:

Display News Summary false
    News Summary Cutoff Days 365
    News Summary Length 300 Info
    Comments Require Customer Login true
    Comments Name Min Length 3
    Comments Text Min Length 25
    Email Admin Comments Notice true
    News RSS Feed Days 365

So time to uninstall this mod. Too bad.

And I will revert back to News Manager which runs well with Info Pages on Zen Cart 1.27 and is not open to comment spamming as apaprently News & Artilce Management is.

And I will port News Manager so it works on 1.3x if it does not already and ensure it cooperates with ez-pages.

Woody

Plugin Contributions

can you post a working news management system? I'm really needing one.

thanks,
    Shackle :)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodymon
    Looks like no solution to the duplicate summary issue I pointed out in previous posts. Bummer.

Beyond that I just discovered someone is spamming comments to a posted news article. Even though I configured the mod to allow comments from logged in users only, this person is not logging in when making comments (at least I see no account name with the name the spammer is using to post).

And unless I missing a configuration setting I cannot see any method to turn off posting Comments.

Below are my settings under Configuration > News & Article Management:

Display News Summary false
    News Summary Cutoff Days 365
    News Summary Length 300 Info
    Comments Require Customer Login true
    Comments Name Min Length 3
    Comments Text Min Length 25
    Email Admin Comments Notice true
    News RSS Feed Days 365

So time to uninstall this mod. Too bad.

And I will revert back to News Manager which runs well with Info Pages on Zen Cart 1.27 and is not open to comment spamming as apaprently News & Artilce Management is.

And I will port News Manager so it works on 1.3x if it does not already and ensure it cooperates with ez-pages.

Woody

Plugin Contributions

Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Woodymon
    There is nothing wrong with the module that I can see off hand that would cause this. Numerous sites are running it just fine in ZC 1.3 without this issue, including the Zen Cart site.

The only thing that I can think that would make that happen is if you are including the news_summary.php multiple times. Are you sure that you have not accidentally placed its call inside of a loop?

Plugin Contributions

could you be a little more exact on how this fix this please? I didn't edit anything i uploaded as is.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape
    There is nothing wrong with the module that I can see off hand that would cause this. Numerous sites are running it just fine in ZC 1.3 without this issue, including the Zen Cart site.

The only thing that I can think that would make that happen is if you are including the news_summary.php multiple times. Are you sure that you have not accidentally placed its call inside of a loop?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shackle
    could you be a little more exact on how this fix this please? I didn't edit anything i uploaded as is.
    You would have had to have editing something to install the optional news summary module, unless you uploaded the included tpl_index_default.php, but that is only for an unmodified Zen Cart 1.2.5 or something from long ago. To get the summary into newer Zen Cart's, you'd want to manually do it as the directions say to, so all I can say is look to where you placed it in your index template, and remove it from a loop it may be in.

Plugin Contributions

I'm using this with 1.3. I would like to wrap a div around the entire news template (it needs a little padding). However, I've looked at the tpl files and they are a different format than the rest of zen and I can;t seem to figure out how to do it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape
    I. My face is red. It was inside the loop. Thanks for the hint.

II. Also thanks for the updated code to help prevent comment spamming. I have yet to implement but will soon.

III. Also I found the optional news archive sidebox did not include a class for "sideBoxContent". So I added by editing tpl_news_archive.php as follows:

Code:
        $content = '<div class="sideBoxContent">';
        $content .= '<div class="newsArchiveSideBox">';

$newsDisplay = new newsDisplay();

foreach ($newsArchiveList as $archive) {
    		$newsDisplay->articleFooter(sprintf(BOX_NEWS_ARCHIVE_TEXT_ARCHIVE_LIST_HEADER, $archive['archiveDate']), $archive['archiveLinks'], false, false, false);
    	}

$content .= $newsDisplay->displayNewsPage(false);

$content .= '</div>';
      $content .= '</div>';
    IV. Also I would like to rid of the first clearSplit in the news archive sidebox to rid of extra whitespace between the year (e.g. 2006) and the top sidebox image. Anyone have a quick fix?

I see the source of clearSplit is the newsDisplay() function within news.php class file. That function also renders all the other news pages so unsure how to adapt for sidebox without negatively impacting display of the news pages. I figure I might need to write another function specific to the sidebox in the class file (to drop the clearSplits) and call it from tpl_news_archive.php. But I don't yet have enough PHP knowledge yet to decipher tpl_news_archive.php

Woody

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast