Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Zencart slow on Dreamhost?

I installed Zen Cart for a customer who uses Dreamhost.
    Since the beginning the store has been extremely slow.
    Right at this moment, the pages are actually loading a little faster. The site was down for a couple of minutes so I am guessing the server restart is helping the page load time.

http://whimsychick.com/store/

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Dreamhost as well.

I want to recommend to my client to move to a different host but I want to be 100% certain that Dreamhost is the problem. Or I atleast want to be able to contact Dreamhost to make them aware of the problem.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad configuration so I installed 2 additional Zen cart stores on separate hosts. No products in either one.

1. Clean install on dreamhost server. Clien'ts server.
    http://whimsychick.com/catalog/

2. Clean install on Site5 server. My server.
    http://www.polarduality.com/zen/

Pages do seem to be loading quicker with my host, Site5.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by polarduality; 12 May 2006 at 05:18 AM.

Default Re: Zencart slow on Dreamhost?

Yes it is a proplem with dreamhost. I am also hosted with them and contacted them regarding this matter, they werent of much help all they did was shift the blame to zencart.

If you are going to contact dreamhost please let them know that there are others with the same problem, Mention www.hbwaitches.com (which is me) tell them that I am aslo having issues with the speed on my site ..maybee this will get them to do something about it.

GL !

Your web page on site5 loaded mad quick by me

On Dreamhost server
    Parse Time: 4.134 - Number of Queries: 70 - Query Time: 0.33181719744873

On Site5 server
    Parse Time: 0.218 - Number of Queries: 67 - Query Time: 0.024674449707031

The numbers speak for themselves!

How easy is it to switch servers ?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by hbtrading
    How easy is it to switch servers ?
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...dex&cPath=1_56

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I should think that if their newsletter is saying they're promoting Zen Cart, that they would have already taken steps to tune their servers for it.

Tell them to beef up some of the caching in the MySQL settings.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    I should think that if their newsletter is saying they're promoting Zen Cart, that they would have already taken steps to tune their servers for it.

Tell them to beef up some of the caching in the MySQL settings.
    yes, they have removed 1 click install for OSCommerce from their control panel and have added Zen Cart. I don't know if they've taken any steps to tune their servers yet but hopefully they will start to pay more attention now that they are supporting Zen.

Plugin Contributions

this is also a good place to look
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...es&pages_id=10
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

thanks.

but i'm just looking for more peeps having the same issues with Dreamhost...

:)

Plugin Contributions

hello everyone,

I registered here just to share that I also have Dreamhost and am experiencing very slow service.

Overall, my sites also seem to be on/off irregularly, functioning only about 90% of the time. I've been working with the Zen Cart quite often, and now find that it's almost unbearable at moments.

I shall shoot a letter off to dreamhost. I was planning to upgrade my "Code Monster" account onto a dedicated server a few months back, but now that I'm experiencing these problems more regularly, I'm more doubtful of their capabilities to provide good uptimes and fast load speeds.

This is just pure speculation, but it wouldnt surprise me if this has something to do with the fact that they've been heavily promoting the cheaper price plans. Once that happens, you have a torrent of people signing up and more customers to deal with. Instead of spending time improve quality, you'd need to spend time troubleshooting minor stuff and answering many "noobish" questions. (I used to run a hosting service, i should know )

Anyways, I've been a customer for about 2 years now. I'd hate to pick up and leave, because all my files are there.. now, if there was a hosting service that'd move all my files for me.. I wouldn't mind paying extra for that

~MMN Maniac

Hi!
    This is the message I got from them after writing a long letter explaing everything we have discussed in these forums about their slow servers

"Hello,

I tested both of those sites, and both loaded at about the same rate.
    Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot we can to to improve speed, as
    everything seems to be working just fine.

Sorry about that. If you need anything else, please let us know.

Thanks!

Brian"
    Well good luck to them as I think i will be moving, being that this is the 3rd time I have contacted them regarding this matter and have allways received a similar reply

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast