Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin Profiles Support Thread

Yes, I wound up figuring out that I had not uploaded your version of product_music_extras_dhtml. The problem was that I thought I had.

I did understand the "admin\includes\boxes\*" as 'everything in the boxes dir'. What happened was that I was going to select all inc. extra_boxes/ but then thought 'well, maybe I should look in here first so I have an idea what if anything I might be clobbering. Unfortunately, I then forgot that I'd done that.

I've actually through a bit of a tale of woe... somewhat comic... but more on that later.
    A the moment though, the one overwhelming question in my mind is... what does OTT mean!?
    (Especially as I think I should be able to guess.)

Gotta say tho, this is looking really cool...
    thx...

Plugin Contributions

OTT = over the top = more than is necessary
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

So at this point I've gotten Image Handler & Admin Profiles working on my testing server, installed in that order. Would you suggest doing in the opposite order? If done that way, do you still need to do the updating box files hand edit. No big deal if so, just curious what you think.
    thx!
    PS, re 'OTT' on the array: hey, it makes sense to me!

Plugin Contributions

Hey, Kuroi, at the risk of being somewhat off-topic, but I think conceptually related, I need to do an extremely simple interface for my "barely know what the web is" users for entering & editing product data -- showing them a bone simple step by step approach. The regular ZC is just way to intimidating for them. Have you seen or done anything like this? Any places to look you know of?

I've looked a bit at the underlying code of category.php & product.php files & it's a bit much. I can dig through extract what the little pieces bit by bit if I have to, but it looks like a real chore... especially as I'm under extreme time pressure (read: supposed to have it already done.)

thx!

Plugin Contributions

This is where it gets a smidgen more complex. It doesn't really make any difference which way around you install them, as hopefully you will get to same setup either way.

Can you avoid hand coding the box files. Not at the moment. I had some thoughts about that. But to do the full job would mean venturing into the core code, which I really didn't want to do as it would have meant standing by ready to rework the code and/or deal with the user complaints each time Zen Cart had a new release. I also toyed with throwing away all the box files for a single menu or even a database table, so that users could simply the new values and not have to worry about the rest of the hand coding, but I felt that actually deleting files would be a step too far for most users.

The whole Admin function is due for rewrite for version 1.6 of Zen Cart, and it's my hope that the Dev Team will incorporate a proper user access control system at a core level at that time and render Admin Profiles redundant. In the meantime my roadmap for it has just one more functional release which would permit administrators to actually create and save named profiles such as administrator, sales clerk, site designer and then apply a saved profile to a new user.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Re; your extremely simple interface. No know of nothing like this. In fact it was the absence of this that led me to take a pre-eixting add-in called Admin Levels and re-cast it as Admin Profiles to try to achieve some simplification in the Admin level for a user that I too was afraid of overwhelming.

I have walked that client through the process of adding categories and products and she did better than I expected. Other developpers have reported that their clients do better with it than you might expect. But I really hope that it's signiuficantly improved in 1.6.

Plugin Contributions

Admin Profiles Support Thread

hi kuroi,

long time i am not spoken to you! ehm, i have a proposition for you... is it possible that this current admin profiles mod can control the categories & sub-categories of the products?! it would be a great feature for AP...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't... YOU ARE RIGHT."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOOD LUCK !!![/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Following from #36; Ultra simple interface:
    Correct me if I'm wrong-- but the whole ZC override thing doesn't work in the admin area, true?
    I just did a test w/ a my_custom1/index.php & it didn't seem to work.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tajul_ashyqin
    hi kuroi,

long time i am not spoken to you! ehm, i have a proposition for you... is it possible that this current admin profiles mod can control the categories & sub-categories of the products?! it would be a great feature for AP...
    Sorry Tajul

Admin Profiles currently sits mostly alongside Admin and restricts access to the php files that make up Admin. To do what you suggest would mean starting to go into those files and change them. As there is no override system yet for Admin, this would mean parts of the enlarged Admin Profiles would risk getting wiped out with every release (including bug fix releases) and may even need re-writing for some releases. So it would be a nigthmare for users and and even bigger one for me to support.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gnotapipe
    Following from #36; Ultra simple interface:
    Correct me if I'm wrong-- but the whole ZC override thing doesn't work in the admin area, true?
    I just did a test w/ a my_custom1/index.php & it didn't seem to work.
    You're right. There is no override system for Admin at the moment. You have to overwrite the files that you change. That may change in version 1.6.

BTW. There are two different override systems elsewhere in ZC. Hierarchical for languages and modules, and parallel for templates. This causes mucho confusion until people get there heads around it. I've said more about it in my second post to this thread.
    Last edited by kuroi; 4 Jul 2006 at 02:00 PM.

Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast