Page 38 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin Profiles Support Thread

Ok that's what i was looking for (1st paragraph) - was to supress the 3rd party modules. Disregard about the tax exempt.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    3rd party modules generally add themselves to the menus by adding extra box files to the admin. These need to be amended for Admin Profiles to be able to suppress them when appropriate. There's a step-by-step guide to this inlcuded with the Admin Profiles release package.

However, I'm still confused about your references to tax exempt, since the only tax exempt mod that I know of doesn't have any menu entries.

Plugin Contributions

I´ve got another regarding the install. I understand I should keep things-updates in the overwrite system/ personal folders. However, the install.txt tell me to upload the files right in the admin folders.

Is it not better to put it in overwrite? or will this not work?

(just asking, as i'm trying to keep it tidy before installing, as I'm not insider enough to clean up if I mess up :$ )

Plugin Contributions

The Admin does not have the override system the Catalog side does, but if the files are "new" and not modified core files you will not have to worry about them. Core files that are modified still need to be merged into files that are updated in the future.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Whenever I have to modify a core file, I first make a backup of the original file and name it something like "add_customersORIGINAL.php" (for example). I then save the modified core file as "add_customers.php".

Months later, when I am trying to figure out which core files I modified, the fact that there is an ORIGINAL version is a clear sign.

I also add comments inside the core files above the sections that I modify. For example: "//Thomas changed the following two lines to make the admin box wider." (I always start with "Thomas")

This allows me to run a search on "Thomas" and find all the files and the exact locations that I modified. I have to admit though that I have not done this for all changes on my current cart, since I did not think of this until later. But on my next fresh zencart install, I will do it this way from the beginning and hopefully not have to panic when an upgrade comes out...ok, I will still panic, but slightly less!

Plugin Contributions

@thomasw98

You have missed out the vital step of getting those backups a safe distance from your Zen Cart. There are a number of bits of Zen Cart that work by executing or loading all the files in a directory and I've spent far too long recently tracking down problem that were caused by people mixing live files and backups with the result that the unchanged backups were over-riding (i.e. undoing) the changes.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    @thomasw98

You have missed out the vital step of getting those backups a safe distance from your Zen Cart. There are a number of bits of Zen Cart that work by executing or loading all the files in a directory and I've spent far too long recently tracking down problem that were caused by people mixing live files and backups with the result that the unchanged backups were over-riding (i.e. undoing) the changes.
    I always wondered if that would be a problem. Fortunately for me, I do not store the backups on the server; I only store them on my harddrive. But it's good to know that I should not store them on the server.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by thomasw98 View Post
    I always wondered if that would be a problem. Fortunately for me, I do not store the backups on the server; I only store them on my harddrive. But it's good to know that I should not store them on the server.
    Hmmm...on second thought, now I just figured out why my address book listings were always double, i.e. if a customer had two addresses stored, they would both list twice when viewing the address book.

Plugin Contributions

I should some how catalog all the files I customise. I am installing more and more modules, and do get scared of the new versions of zen cart. But also new modules that override an already customised core file.

seems like taxes, have to keep it administered properly :)

thanks for the replies
    Zenner newby - on Version 1.3.7 with Export shipping info -Multilingual ezpages - Admin profiles - Google Analytics - GoogleSitemapAdmin - and building :)

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I tried to install the admin profiles download and made a mistake. I tried to restore from a server backup and I'm receiving messages such as this whenever I make a selection from the menus on the admin page

1146 Table 'kazbonco_coffee.admin_files' doesn't exist
    in:
    [select id from admin_files where page = 'Index Listing']
    If you were entering information, press the BACK button in your browser and re-check the information you had entered to be sure you left no blank fields.

How can I get back to where I started.

Thanks
    kathy

Plugin Contributions

I got out of this problem. Thanks anyway.

Page 38 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast