Plugin Contributions

Default How to create a new product field?

I am wanting to create a new field that will be available to all the products in my store but I am not sure how to do this and was hoping some clever and kind person on here could help me out.

What i would like to do is create a new field on the products page called product size which would use a drop down list of values.

This field would then be displayed with the product model/weight and units in stock.

I am currently using zencart v1.3.0.1

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to create a new product field?

Does this differ from Attributes in some way?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Re: How to create a new product field?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh
    Does this differ from Attributes in some way?
    Hi I guess it is an attribute for the item, however, its not one that will want customers to select from. But we still want it displayed on the page

I am not very good at explaining things sorry

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

perhaps a visual of what you're trying to obtain might help?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

You can make an attribute read-only so that it can't be selected.

In Catalog > Attribute Controller, when you add/edit an attribute you can set (in the yellow box) "Used For Display Purposes Only:" to Yes.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: How to create a new product field?

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    perhaps a visual of what you're trying to obtain might help?
    Hi the attached picture shows in red what i would like to have displayed on each of my pages. I would like to have the values selectable via a drop down list.

I was thinking of placing an extra bit in the product page near the Products Model which would have a drop down list of values.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

You could do the custom coding/tweaking to create a new "product detail" item that you select on the product entry page; or you could create an attribute in Catalog > Option Name Manager, create the possible values for it in Option Value Manager and place the proper one in each product with the Attributes Controller.

You can make the attribute read-only by marking "Used For Display Purposes Only:" as Yes. Give the option name a value like "Suitable for" and it will show as

Suitable for: 18"-19" doll.

If you need to adjust the display of the new attribute, you can do it in the stylesheet, and the location (up/down) can be adjusted if necessary by carefully moving blocks of code in tpl_product_info_display.php.
    Last edited by gjh42; 23 May 2006 at 12:36 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42
    You could do the custom coding/tweaking to create a new "product detail" item that you select on the product entry page; or you could create an attribute in Catalog > Option Name Manager, create the possible values for it in Option Value Manager and place the proper one in each product with the Attributes Controller.

You can make the attribute read-only by marking "Used For Display Purposes Only:" as Yes. Give the option name a value like "Suitable for" and it will show as

Suitable for: 18"-19" doll.

If you need to adjust the display of the new attribute, you can do it in the stylesheet, and the location (up/down) can be adjusted if necessary by carefully moving blocks of code in tpl_product_info_display.php.
    Many thanks for this info! I have decided to take this route rather than trying to add extra data fields.

Plugin Contributions

Hi for everybody:

This is my first post (my first language isn't english, sorry for my writing errors!)
    Well I spend 3 weeks reading in the forum, I'm feel confortable using the info.
    I'm working on my store, really I'm newbie.

This is my case:

I will run a code (php) in the "document-product-category" (for no affect the regular categories). This code (made a custom product) generate some variables; I need pass this variables values to zencart (in the section for comments or suggestions * i need read this info in the slip for shipping or the order) one of these variables bring me a url (this script created a filename and save image in specified directory in the server)

I think use hidden input for asign this variable to a zencart.
    I try use attribute, everything are showed to the user
    I looking for made a same like comments in checkout shipping text area
    but i dont know what files and dB need duplicated and what are the place for insert

I need adivce!

Thanks
    Xavier
    Last edited by iriejoy; 29 May 2006 at 05:08 PM. Reason: wrong word