Plugin Contributions

Default What is need to setup payments via CC etc?

Ive been asked to setup an online shop for a friend. Ive had a little play with Zen-cart and have a shop running (without SSL) - That was just to test the water on running the sytem.

I think I am right in saying the only way to run an online shop properly is using SSL?

I curently am using dreamhost - and they want $47 just to get started with a unique IP - so will probably host elswhere. sashbox looks about the cheapest option Ive found with hosting and SSL all included. Anyone know of any better options?

OK, now to the real question...........

Its all well and good having a nice padlocked secure site, but how do I go about accepting CC and DC payments? Any advice appreciate, including what the costs of doing so are. I appreciate I can setup Paypal - but the costs look expensive - especially when the items being sold will not generate big payment orders!

Any help appreciated. ( I am in the UK - so guess any banking services would need to be UK based!)

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What is need to setup payments via CC etc?

Everyone is different, and you need to have a good shop around with payment handlers before you make your own desicion. You need to firstly decide if you are using a business account. If not, the easiest way is you use someone like PayPal where the funds can be sent to either a personal or business account.

If you have a business account, then I suggest you speak to your bank, and ask a few questions. Firstly, do they have payment gateways for use with internet stores, for taking the card payments, and if so how much do they charge you? This will depend on the goods, the risk to them, and your annual turnover. Next, ask them if they can supply you with a merchant account, for receiving payments through third party handling agents. One such company in the UK is ProTX.

You need to ask your bank how much they will charge you in either situation, as there will always be a charge involved.

Good luck

Absolute