Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

How to change user password?

Hi:

I've had the first problem with an user that forgot his password because a system crack, then I looked for an easy way to change the password to a new one to email him, because the Forgot the password option is not sending any email.

He tried 2 times and I've try another 2 times without get any email response ?????.

Well, to solve the problem fast I've had to make the following:

- I went to SQL customer table and look for the user ... then changed his email address (login) adding a letter

- Then I created a new account with the real email address and a new password, and all the rest fake data . As I've modified the original previously, the system permit me create another one with the same email address. :)

-Then I goes to mysql again to look for the encrypted password of the new account (all those long digits sucession) and copy them in the clipboard.
    - I've deleted that new account.
    - Back to the original account in SQL customer table and modify again the email address for the correct one deleting the letter added.
    - I've pasted the encrypted password of the new created account in the required field and save it.

Well, doing all this I got a good password change, but I ask myself if there is another more easy way to do it case that this issue occurs again.

Also, I would like to know why the email system sending the new password is not working. Any ideas?

Best regards!!!

Edited to say I'm using the last Zencart version 1.3.0-1

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to change user password?

Also, I would like to know why the email system sending the new password is not working. Any ideas?

Are your other emails working properly?

Plugin Contributions

Well, doing all this I got a good password change, but I ask myself if there is another more easy way to do it case that this issue occurs again.
    Easier? maybe....

Using phpMyAdmin select your customers table then click "Browse"

Find your customer's name in the table then click the pencil icon to edit the entry.

Find the entry for customers_password.

Delete the long string of characters and numbers.

Add a new password (plain text)

from the dropdown menu to the left select "MD5"

You should have something that looks like this:

customers_password varchar(40) MD5 newpassword

If everything looks correct, click the "GO" button.

If you go back to check that customer in the table you should see that the new password you entered is now encrypted.

Note: If you are not all that familiar with using phpMyAdmin, or have any doubts about using this procedure, please ask for further advice.

Plugin Contributions

Re: How to change user password?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    Are your other emails working properly?
    Yes, Kim, all working good. I am receiving sales confirmation emails without any problem.

And the user is getting my emails to the same addy without problems either.

Regards!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by clydejones
    Easier? maybe....

Using phpMyAdmin select your customers table then click "Browse"

Find your customer's name in the table then click the pencil icon to edit the entry.

Find the entry for customers_password.

Delete the long string of characters and numbers.

Add a new password (plain text)

from the dropdown menu to the left select "MD5"

You should have something that looks like this:

customers_password varchar(40) MD5 newpassword

If everything looks correct, click the "GO" button.

If you go back to check that customer in the table you should see that the new password you entered is now encrypted.

Note: If you are not all that familiar with using phpMyAdmin, or have any doubts about using this procedure, please ask for further advice.
    Hi clydejones..

Yes, I'm familiar with the use of phpMyadmin and I play with it everywhile, but I didn't knew about the MD5 option in password field.

Well, I tried what you said and it seems that it doesn't work correctly. I will explain:

After to enter a new plain text password in my test account and click continue, I just back to the customer table and I see in the password field a new and encrypted one. Gonna try it to the site and it doesn't work.

Then I checked the way in what all the normal passwords are encrypted and I can appreciate that all them are composed by 32 digits, then semicolon (:) and 2 more digits.

Well, the MD5 option encrypt the plain text password, but it make only the 32 first digits, not (:) not the 2 last numbers.

So, something is not working adequately!!

Any help would be appreciated because, indeed, that would be a very easy way to change the password.

Thanks for your response and phpmyadmin teaching,
    Best regards!!

Plugin Contributions

You're right, I checked the password_funcs.php and it does add lus to additional characters.

I know how to use the md5 with phpMyAdmin but I'm not sure how to duplicate the ZC function directly in PHPMyAdmin.

Maybe Kim, Linda or DrByte can help.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by clydejones
    You're right, I checked the password_funcs.php and it does add lus to additional characters.

I know how to use the md5 with phpMyAdmin but I'm not sure how to duplicate the ZC function directly in PHPMyAdmin.

Maybe Kim, Linda or DrByte can help.
    Thanks clyde... waiting for them...

Plugin Contributions

If you fixed the email address for the customer ... aren't they now able to use the forgotten password?

Or, create an account with a password ... copy and paste in phpMyAdmin that password to your customer's password and email it to them ...

Note: if doing the second, be sure to change your password when done just to be safe ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh
    If you fixed the email address for the customer ... aren't they now able to use the forgotten password?

Or, create an account with a password ... copy and paste in phpMyAdmin that password to your customer's password and email it to them ...

Note: if doing the second, be sure to change your password when done just to be safe ...

Hi Linda:
    Thanks for the info, but a min. ago that I discovered the way you said.. In the begining I thought that the password function had something to do with the email address too, but after to look at the function used by ZC in password_funcs.php, like clyde said, I saw that it's not. :) and you are using the ramdom zc function to make the 2 digits "salt" and then md5:salt

So, yes.. I've created an special account with an easy to remember passw to copy and paste in phpmyadmin and email it to the user, then change it for next one.

About the Forgotten password, I made 2 tries:

1 - Try login as the user and fill the forgot password field with his email address... well, the user doesn't receiveds any email. I made this, case that the user were doing the step badly

2 - Forgot the password again and type there this time my own email address. I have not received any notification either... and the password continue the same, no change has been made. I tested this, 30 mins after sending the forgotten passw. request.

So, I dunno what is working bad.

Regards!!

Plugin Contributions

Does your Contact Us form work?

Does your Admin ... Tools ... Send Email ... work?

Do your order emails work to the Customer? to the Admin?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast