Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Selling software licences

Is there a way within Zen to sell software licences?

eg: I have a list of (say) 10 licences for product X. I should be able to put product X into ZC with a stock level of 10, and each purchase would allow the buyer to download their (unique) licence. Obviously two purchasers would not get the same licence.

I can't see anything relevant but then my searching skills might just be no good!

If I can't do this, hints as to where to start writing a module to do it appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Selling software licences

Hi,

I ahve to say that I haven't seen this modification in my travels, however, its fairly easy to add if you know a little php.

I would suggest editting the order conformation email, and the My Account pages if I were you.

You will need to add a new table to your database, and call it something like software_codes. Then create columns for code_id, product_id, date_added, customer_id, software_code. Thats all I can think of, but you may decide to add more.

Then all you need to do is add your code, with the products_id to the table, and ensure the customer_id column is an integer, with a default of 0.

Now you need to code the email. FInd the code which generates the order confiramtion email, which in 1.2.7 is in the orders class, under function send_order_email, and add a search & update sql command.

The sql will need to retrieve a random row, where customers_id = 0, and products_id = the product you just sold. Using the code id, then update this record with the customer id of the buyer for your records. You should now have the correct software key. Simply put this into the email, after the product description. Hay-presto, your done. You can then elaborate on this, buy adding this information to the customers account if you wish, but I'll leave the how and pointers for another day.

Hope this helps

Absolute B)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute
    Hi,

I ahve to say that I haven't seen this modification in my travels, however, its fairly easy to add if you know a little php.
    PHP knowledge isn't a problem for me, getting my head arounf how Zen is structured is - so thanks for your help.

[/QUOTE]
    I would suggest editting the order conformation email, and the My Account pages if I were you. ...
    [/QUOTE]

If I understand you correctly, then, I simply add product X as a normal product but add 10 licence codes to my new table. When anyone buys a new product I pick the next available licence for that product, and allocate it against that customer_id (and against that order as well, I think). I do all this from the order confirmation email. I also update the product stock level according to how many licences are now left.

I like the way you think! I'll have a crack at this.

You can then elaborate on this, buy adding this information to the customers account if you wish, but I'll leave the how and pointers for another day.
    I'll come back when I get that far!

Is there any general interest in this mod?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by more-solutions
    I'll come back when I get that far!
    OK, so I have something basically working....

Where do I start when it comes to showing licences on the customers account page?

Also:
    If I want to add licence admin into the admin system where do I start?

One problem I have discovered is that by putting the code into the email confirmation, the customer gets the licences before payment has been confirmed (if using offline payment, or COD, etc). This would also be a problem for any virtual products - is there a general solution?

PS: If anyone wants to try my hack let me know. I'll write it up when I get chance, but it'll happen sooner if someone asks for it!

Plugin Contributions

In terms of admin settings for licence coding, I would create a new page, and have a simple add licence form. Then have a dropdown with the products in it, and a textbox for your licence code. Using this form, you can then use the product_id as the id for the selected application, and upload that to your new product_licence table. On the product licence page you could add a table to show you which keys are availabe, and a list of those taken and who bought them - you can make it as simple or complex as you like.

Next, the email after purchase issue - why not create a new email template with just the licence information in it? If your customer pays with onlince card, then send it immediately, otherwise add a link to the licences page or order page that send sthe licence when you have received payment.

Finally, the customers account page - i would suggest adding a check to see if payment has been received, and if it has, then on the order details, just add a popup or roll over that displays the key for the software.

Hope this helps

Absolute

Plugin Contributions

Did you manage to achieve a good solution to this? Would be interested to see the end result. Rob

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rstoROB
    Did you manage to achieve a good solution to this? Would be interested to see the end result. Rob
    Depends which bit you're asking about.

I got something to send an email after "purchase" but since we currently process cards offline it means the code goes out before we actually get cleared payment, so its no use to us.

I didn't get as far as modifying it to work for offline payments because I intend to move towards online payments anyway.

So, if you need offline payments to work I can't currently help but if you want to take my code as a starting point you're welcome. If you're using online payments then my code should work, but hasn't been heavily tested and is without warranty!

Plugin Contributions

Re: Selling software licences

This thread is pretty much exactly what I was looking for....

Quote Originally Posted by more-solutions View Post
    So, if you need offline payments to work I can't currently help but if you want to take my code as a starting point you're welcome. If you're using online payments then my code should work, but hasn't been heavily tested and is without warranty!
    I would be interested in seeing the code you have so far. So please let me know how I can get a hold of it and if you have made any progress since May.

My plan is to generate the licence key based on the customer's Email Address and product purchased. That way I won't have to keep entering licence keys for each new product I add. As long as the installation software uses the same key generation method it should install fine on their machine as long as they use the sme email address and the generated licence key. The Email Address and Product purchased combination should hopefully create a unique licence key and as such just require one extra column on the customer->orders table ( if there is one ).
    So does anyone see anything wrong or a flaw with my plan?

I am surprised that ZC does not have a module that does this sort of thing already, only that the developer would have set a flag somewhere and modify the key generation algorithm. Maybe it should have a software downloads flag.

Plugin Contributions

I only see 1 flaw in your plan, at first glance. Is your software in great demand? Is it something that I would buy, and then recommend to all my friends and family to use on their pc? If so, you have a little problem, in that I buy a copy, and download it. It asks me for my email address, and key. I enter it, and activate the product. I thengive the download to 100 of my mates, along with my email address, and the licence key you sent me.

One way around this is to create a completely separate table, with licence_id, order_product_id, licence_key, activation_date, and possibly mac_code, or unique_pc_id. You can then, when the order is created add the new licence code to the table. If your customer buys two copies, add 2 entries. Next, create a new db user, which allows read-only on the customers table, and read/write on the new licence table. All other tables MUST be restricted.

You can then use your software to communicate with your MySQL database on activation to find out if the licence key has already been used, and if it has, was it used on the same PC? If so, then this is just a re-install, rather than a new install, and should be allowed.

This is a simplified version of the method Symantec use for Norton and other software titles.

Good luck, and sorry to throw the spanner!

Absolute

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
    I only see 1 flaw in your plan, at first glance. Is your software in great demand? Is it something that I would buy, and then recommend to all my friends and family to use on their pc? If so, you have a little problem, in that I buy a copy, and download it. It asks me for my email address, and key. I enter it, and activate the product. I then give the download to 100 of my mates, along with my email address, and the licence key you sent me.
    But this scenario is really no different to what happens to a CDs or DVDs today, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
    One way around this is to create a completely separate table, with licence_id, order_product_id, licence_key, activation_date, and possibly mac_code, or unique_pc_id. You can then, when the order is created add the new licence code to the table. If your customer buys two copies, add 2 entries. Next, create a new db user, which allows read-only on the customers table, and read/write on the new licence table. All other tables MUST be restricted.

You can then use your software to communicate with your MySQL database on activation to find out if the licence key has already been used, and if it has, was it used on the same PC? If so, then this is just a re-install, rather than a new install, and should be allowed.
    This is great idea and something I will keep in mind. Does PHP keep track of the Mac_code/address?

The only thing is that I hate the fact that modern software forces you to be connected/online when installing. We will be selling PC/Linux/MacOS X and maybe even mobile games. I think for the time being I will just need to trust most users and that the games will be of good enough quality at a reasonably low price that they will not feel like ripping me and the game developers off.
    Of course there will always be people that want everything for free, but I'm hoping that they are in the minority.

Thanks again for your feedback. Now all I need to do is find a licence key generating PHP file .

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast