Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Second step in setting up your cart - templates

I am posting this information in order to provide a link that will more easily provide solutions for typical problems faced by most new Zenners. (Devs feel free to edit this for completeness and accuracy.)

Start here to learn just about everything you need to know to get started customizing your site - https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=230
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=143
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=232

Zen Cart is built on a system called ‘overrides.’ When you have worked hard on customizing your site you do not want to lose all that work when a new version or cart update comes along. So, follow the guide for creating a custom template and it will ‘override’ the stock template after any updates.

All of the files you change should go in special folders you create for your template. Something like /custom or /my_template. Your new custom template folder should only contain files that have actually been edited for your site. Copy the files from template_default, edit them, and make sure they are in the correct ’my_custom_template’ folder. Most of the /custom folders will be in directories that also have a /classic folder. The classic folder is a landmark to let you know you are in the right place.

If you are using ver 1.3+ you should use the template default as a basis for your new template and not the Classic template.

Remember to edit template_info.php and turn on the template in admin.

The Wiki also has great information. However, since the forum experienced an emergency reload, the links may not have been updated. Be patient. Some of the information refers to ver 1.2+ and is slightly different in 1.3+ so read carefully.

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p..._-_Customizing
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...on_-_Templates
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p..._API_Overrides
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Checklist

If your new template does not work, please double check the following things before having a panic attack, starting to blame the devs, claiming there must be a bug and/or appealing to everyone’s good nature since you ‘are such a newb.’ Before posting a thread needing "emergency attention" ask:

1. Are your edited files in the correct folders?
    2. Are you editing the correct files?
    3. Have you misspelled a file or folder name?
    4. Have you have turned on the template?
    5. Have you have used Admin> Tools> Developers Tool Kit? Put the text you want to change in the box at bottom left and select ‘all files.’ You will get a list of files with that text.
    6. Have you re-read the tutorials because you missed a step.

I have committed all these sins, and more, so do not think you could not have made a mistake.

Best wishes for your Zen success.
    Last edited by DrByte; 20 Jun 2006 at 10:39 PM. Reason: updated FAQ link

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Second step in setting up your cart - templates

Excellent post Sermonzone, am sure this will be big help to members

Plugin Contributions

Your first link does not appear to work.

Plugin Contributions

Your first link does not appear to work
    Tested all links.. working fine at time of test

Plugin Contributions

Great post sermonzone, let me add these Wiki links which would be useful to further customize the custom template:

- Top 10 Questions asked by new Zen Cart™ Users

- Useful Tools For Working With Zen Cart™

- Editing PHP

- Making a Local Copy of Your Web Site

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    Great post sermonzone, let me add these Wiki links which would be useful to further customize the custom template:
    - Top 10 Questions asked by new Zen Cart™ Users
    My # 1 question is: can I use my own website (template) that I already built or do I have to "modify" zen cart to look like my site and scrap my whole site (which I've spent months working on)?

Plugin Contributions

For the shopping part of your site (assuming that shopping is only part of your site) you really need to use ZC for everything, modifying the template to match the rest of your site. This will still cause difficulties if your site is HTML, as if shoppers leave the ZC pages for another page in your site they will lose their session (and cart contents) unless logged in. If your site is PHP, it should be possible with advanced coding to keep the session active. The subject has been discussed here recently.

Zen Cart is capable of acting as a basic CMS (except for forums) and can handle being your entire site.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    For the shopping part of your site (assuming that shopping is only part of your site) you really need to use ZC for everything, modifying the template to match the rest of your site. This will still cause difficulties if your site is HTML, as if shoppers leave the ZC pages for another page in your site they will lose their session (and cart contents) unless logged in. If your site is PHP, it should be possible with advanced coding to keep the session active. The subject has been discussed here recently.

Zen Cart is capable of acting as a basic CMS (except for forums) and can handle being your entire site.
    I had that question too, about should I get rid of the existing pages and start over with zen cart. That makes sense. What is CMS?

Plugin Contributions

CMS = Content Management System

That means we have the ability to manage other web pages within the cart program. You can write articles or add news or whatever other additional imformation pages you need.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default favicon help, Please

I appreciate all your tips and links and have been using lots of them to customize my site. I followed the link:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/faq.ph...late_customize
    and tried to add my favicon using the instructions given, but it won't show up. It is on my present web site, so I know to format the icon and put it in the root, etc. I made a copy and put it in the root of the subdomain that I am using to host my store. I tried to follow the instructions, but there are several places with the code "/> and I have used trial and error (all error so far) trying to get the favicon to show.
    I wonder if you can be more specific on exactly where I should insert the code in both documents.
    Catherine

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast