Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Second step in setting up your cart - templates

Quote Originally Posted by ScriptJunkie View Post
    Can someone please help me understand what the advantage and disadvantage of both methods is, and why the general rule re: editing existing files wouldn't seem to apply here?
    In so far as there is a general rule about editing existing files in Zen Cart, it is "Don't".

For most changes you would create an over-ride file and place it in a template folder. As you get deeper into the code, slightly different methods are needed, especially if your changes may be applicable to more than one template. SermonZone is explaining one of them.

The reason for this is that if you change the original files, then there is a good chance that your changes will get get over-written and lost when you upgrade to later versions of Zen Cart.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Hi Kuroi, thanks for the explanation

I should have been more clear. When I said "editing existing files", what I really meant was that so far, I've been editing the copies made of existing files using the override system.

Is the reason SermonZone is suggesting this method due to the fact that the override system isn't applicable in this case (since the files in question aren't over-ridable due to location)?

and

That by using this method (creating a new file instead of editing an existing file or a copy of an existing file), I am, in essence, creating a kind of "quasi-override" by creating an original file that won't be replaced during an upgrade?

Do I understand that correctly?

In any event, I'm grateful that the article is out there and available, and to have run across it, because I've been so focused on the override system, that I hadn't given much thought to how to manage files that it doesn't apply to.

Plugin Contributions

Is the reason SermonZone is suggesting this method due to the fact that the override system isn't applicable in this case (since the files in question aren't over-ridable due to location)?
    Yes.
    That by using this method (creating a new file instead of editing an existing file or a copy of an existing file), I am, in essence, creating a kind of "quasi-override" by creating an original file that won't be replaced during an upgrade?
    and sort of. You're not actually over-riding the file in this case, more creating an extension of it. But overall you've got it.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Woo hooo!

Thanks Kuroi!

Plugin Contributions

As suggested by SermonZone, I followed article 142 (https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=142) to make a custom template, went to tools/template selection, updated my new custom folder, clicked to preview my new template, and received the 403 Forbidden error message "You don't have permission to access /catalog/includes/templates/custom/images/ on this server.".

I didn't expect to see anything as I didn't have any images in place (nor have I done ANY customizing), but didn't expect this error either. Checked my permissions on my custom directory and custom/image directory and everything is set to 755. Copied the images from the classic/images directory and still got 403. Deleted the whole image directory, tried again, got a 404 (Not Found) error message (which pleased me), then made a new images folder and got the old 403 again.

I haven't even started to customize my new template. Will this error go away when I do? (I'm asking because I find that unlikely.)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The "preview" button only works if you've supplied a screenshot image to view when the preview is clicked.
    It's not a "live" preview ... it's only a link to an image supplied by whomever built the template in the first place.
    If you want to see your template in action, change your site to use that template specifically.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

How do I go about dropping the 3rd column on my product pages?

What I would like to do is have the ez pages and product pages dump the 3rd column and expand the middle column, is this possible without having to change templates?

Beth-katherine

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Beth-katherine View Post
    How do I go about dropping the 3rd column on my product pages?
    It's explained in this FAQ entry.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    It's explained in this FAQ entry.

Thank you. I tried that and yes it does turn off the 3rd column but the width of the center column remains the same, how do I adjust that to include the width of the 3rd column? Should I take it out all together?

Beth-Katherine

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Beth-katherine View Post
    Thank you. I tried that and yes it does turn off the 3rd column but the width of the center column remains the same, how do I adjust that to include the width of the 3rd column? Should I take it out all together?
    A normal Zen Cart template should automatically expand the center column to fill the space available. Makes me wonder about your template. Do you have a link to your site?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast