Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Second step in setting up your cart - templates

I have a much more basic question than this.

How do I edit the main page that comes up for the Catalogue? Right now it shows a big advertisement for the ZEN manual and stuff like "Your sales comment goes here"

How do I edit this thing just to get started?

Plugin Contributions

You do the actual editing using a plain text editor. As to what to edit - perhaps start by reading this thread and the FAQs on setting up your custom template.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

What is the best way to copy the override files/create the override folders? Can I use cpanel to do that?

Is there a better way than downloading zencart, unzipping it, renaming everything called "classic" to "CUSTOM" then ftp'ing the CUSTOM directories with the files inside to the website?

Plugin Contributions

I have found the "step by step" instructions I think. I have found the folders template default etc, created my CUSTOM folder and copied the css files, but now it says to copy

Then you copy the file called includes/templates/template_default/template_info.php and put it inside includes/templates/CUSTOM/. Next, open includes/templates/CUSTOM/template_info.php in your

When I open includes/templates/template_default I see alot of choices which appear to open with Broderband. The only template_info I have says shopping cart. Also the "template_info.php" is in blue lettering. Is this to mean something?

I have been at this project for 4 months. I am bound and determined to figure it out. I understand the trees and ftp uploads etc but it always appears there is a missing step.

PLEASE HELP

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ttb View Post
    What is the best way to copy the override files/create the override folders? Can I use cpanel to do that?

Is there a better way than downloading zencart, unzipping it, renaming everything called "classic" to "CUSTOM" then ftp'ing the CUSTOM directories with the files inside to the website?
    If you're using a good FTP tool then it will typically allow you to create new folders in your hosted space, drag and drop files for editing to a folder on your desktop/laptop and return the amended files to your hosted space as though this was all taking place locally.

You can use CPanel, but I wouldn't advise using it for editing and it's a much more clunky approach.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by KRahall View Post
    When I open includes/templates/template_default I see alot of choices which appear to open with Broderband. The only template_info I have says shopping cart. Also the "template_info.php" is in blue lettering. Is this to mean something?
    This isn't very clear. template_info.php should be the only file in your template_default folder (everything else in there is a folder). What is Broderband? As far as I can see it's a package intended for either for CAD or calendar-making rather than web design. Could that be the problem?
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Windows picks a program if it's not sure what program to open a file with
    if you try to open the file from the hard drive by clicking on it. There's also
    a box that's checked by default that says "always open this type of file with
    this program". Once you click OK, it'll associate all files with that extension
    with that program. My computer also chose Broderbund's The Print Shop
    to open *.php files. It's changeable though, to your preferred .php editor.
    [FONT=Arial]Country Kitty Crafts[/FONT][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

So are you saying everything in the folder are the .php files? this is what is so unclear about all these "so called" steps and instructions, they are too vague.

Does the blue print mean everything in the folder?

What is the best text editor program to Use?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by KRahall View Post
    What is the best text editor program to Use?
    There are several great choices. One good free one for Windows is Notepad++ available via http://notepad-plus.sf.net

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

help question Re: Second step in setting up your cart - templates

In an excellent article posted here:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=230

Sermonzone advises:

Extra Data Files

* Custom file names - /includes/filenames.php

You've created a custom page (about_us) and need to reference the filename.
    Create a new file (about_us_filenames.php) which would include the following:
    <?php
    // About Us Filename Define
    define('FILENAME_ABOUT_US', 'about_us');
    ?>
    Save the file to /includes/extra_datafiles/about_us_filenames.php and upload it to your server.

My question is why? Why create a new file (about_us_filenames.php) instead of just editing the existing file (filenames.php)?

As a newb, this is where I get into trouble - I make mistakes because I follow what I think is obvious based on previous rules, only to find those rules don't always apply.

In this particular case, because all of my changes have involved editing existing files, had I not found this article, I would have just gone ahead and edited the existing file.

Can someone please help me understand what the advantage and disadvantage of both methods is, and why the general rule re: editing existing files wouldn't seem to apply here?

Thanks much

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast