Plugin Contributions

Default Question on using Third Party CSS

If I find a neat css based third party template I want to use, what needs to be done to make it Zen 1.3x compatible? What is the easiest way to make it (the 3rd party css) work with Zen?

Do I need to change the "wording" used in the new css file, or, do I need to adjust any of the php files to read the new css file?

Not all CSS language is the same.

Thanks,

Tom
    I Think, Therefore I Zen. I Zen, Therefore, I AM!
    Personalized Flowers!
    Flowertown Speaking Roses
    using version 1.5.7-06232020

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Question on using Third Party CSS

Quote Originally Posted by wtashby
    If I find a neat css based third party template I want to use, what needs to be done to make it Zen 1.3x compatible? What is the easiest way to make it (the 3rd party css) work with Zen?

Do I need to change the "wording" used in the new css file, or, do I need to adjust any of the php files to read the new css file?

Not all CSS language is the same.
    The general answer is that the amount of effort involved in adapting a third party CSS-based template for Zen Cart 1.3 would be equivalent to developing it from scratch.

The reason for this is that many of the div IDs, classes HTML tags used by v1.3 are unique to that version. Earlier versions of Zen Cart have a different structure and thus generate different IDs and classes. Even the Classic template in v1.3 is very different from the template_default.

To answer your specific question. Yes, you would change the wording in the CSS file. PHP files do not read CSS. The PHP files generate HTML with tags. The user's browser then reads the HTML and styles it using the CSS rules.

I've simplified a complex subject for clarity. Please feel free to post supplementary questions if you would like a more detailed answer.
    Last edited by kuroi; 29 May 2006 at 05:05 PM.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

So, perhaps using a combination of Firefox, Ardvark, and Topstyle, I can compare and "merge" (for lack of a better term) the 3rd party css and, stylsheet.css to create a unique stylesheet of my own?

Any thoughts on that?
    I Think, Therefore I Zen. I Zen, Therefore, I AM!
    Personalized Flowers!
    Flowertown Speaking Roses
    using version 1.5.7-06232020

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wtashby
    So, perhaps using a combination of Firefox, Ardvark, and Topstyle, I can compare and "merge" (for lack of a better term) the 3rd party css and, stylsheet.css to create a unique stylesheet of my own?

Any thoughts on that?
    Unfortunately I can't comment much on this. I would need to know more about what the 3rd party CSS was originally designed for e.g. a Zen Cart shop, another type of shop, something completely different.

If there's sufficient compatibility then the sorts of tools you're talking about would be appropriate, though I'd use CSSViewer in preference to Aardvark as it not only gives you the tags and with their IDs and classes (like Aardvark, but also the CSS that applies to them.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)