Page 4 of 117 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Newsletter-Only Subscriptions for v1.3x

Hi NG,
    I was able to set this up and added my email addresses. It doesn't recognize newsletter only subscribers. Is that the way it should work? If so...it works great.

Thanks you,
    Kelly

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless
    I saw the error message for PHPMyadmin but not for the patch tool in my cart.
    *sigh* what you posted is exactly what showed when I used the sql patch -so I [falsely] assumed you didn't understand the error message. Many people using the cart have only minimal knowledge of sql, tho I think it grows with every patch :0

I was not intending to imply..well anything...I just find it safer to work under the assumption that the person needs in-depth instruction rather than assume they know of what they speak and end up spending more time explaining. Especially since people will read the posts who don't have any knowlege and try to implement.

...and since you just posted again, I'll just respond here.

From your posts I thought you wanted to reference real customer accounts.
    If you read the sql you'll see it only pulls from the customers table, not subscribers. I was planning on seeing if I could do both for the next update, but I'll try to do it now since I'm waiting for DD to respond.

-Ng_

Plugin Contributions

No rush. I did notice that it was only pulling from the customer table. The ony reason it's a good idea to have both is that the original sent the emails in html or text nicely if the customer had an account. If it was an email for a subscriber only, it sent alot of code mixed with the text and no html. At least mine did. I actually pulled it off my site even before the later updates made it unusable.
    So...it doesn't hurt to be able to check both.

Your assumption was the safest one to make.
    It was for the same reason I was hesitant to post the code for fear someone may use it without checking to see if it worked first.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Plugin Contributions

Okay, I cannot get the three table join to work properly, so....

You'll still enter all email addresses in the single field in the Email configuration.
    However when you select the groups to send to, you'll see the group you've already set up, which is only customer accounts that match the emails, and this group 'newsletter-only subscribers test group'. So to test you'll want to send to both.
    If I knew the minimum MySQL versions people were running I could use subqueries or unions to combine both groups, but since I can't these would need to be separate groups.

Here's the sql for the patches page:

Code:
    INSERT INTO query_builder
    (query_category, query_name, query_description, query_string)
    VALUES ('email,newsletters', 'Newsletter-only subscribers Test Group',
    'Returns email address of Newsletter-only subscribers designated in Email Newsletter Test Group configuration.',
    'SELECT s.email_address as customers_email_address FROM TABLE_SUBSCRIBERS as s LEFT JOIN TABLE_CONFIGURATION as q on LOCATE( s.email_address, q.configuration_value) >= 1 WHERE configuration_key = ''NEWSONLY_SUBSCRIPTION_TEST_GROUP'' ');

I found an unrelated error while testing this-if you have HTML mail turned off the email format wasn't being set (not crucial, as it will always default to text), but it makes the admin section display a blank for preference, which I found annoying.
    So I'll be fixing that and incorporate these test groups into the new release-I'll have update checks so you won't lose data.

No timetable on that release...it'll take a while to ensure updates are safe.

-Ng_

Plugin Contributions

Now you lost me. I know I had a hard time trying to get the query to pull from the subscribe table. Obviously it is over my head.
    So...I will wait for your next release.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Plugin Contributions

Is there a way to set the width of the newsletter subscribe box? It's really wide. I have the rest of my side boxes at 175 px.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Well it should size with the rest of the boxes-nothing's hardcoded other than to set the width of the email field as 30px less than the width of the field (15px on either side).

I looked at your site and it looks to all fit, so I'm guessing you got it figured out? If it was wider and you did something to fix it, can you let us know in case someone else runs into the problem?

Thx,

-Ng_

Plugin Contributions

@duckydoodles.com:
    I tried to mess up the cart by changing the header around, deleting files, etc...at most I got part of the header then errors (because the file didn't exist, etc).

If I disabled the newsonly-subscriptions in admin those errors vanished and the cart loaded normally.

It might be the contribution-but I think it's more likely a typo in the file.
    Now I did manage to get a blank page by doing the following:

Inserting the full code (with enclosing tags) inside an area already marked with tags, e.g:
    Code:
    <?php require(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'sideboxes/search_header.php'); 
    <?php
    // BEGIN newsletter_subscribe mod 1/1
    .... the code ...
    // END newsletter_subscribe mod 1/1    
    ?>
    ?>
    or by omitting the closing ?> and inserting the code in an html area (one not enclosed in tags), e.g.:
    Code:
    <?php require(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'sideboxes/search_header.php'); ?>
    <?php
    // BEGIN newsletter_subscribe mod 1/1
    .... the code ...
    // END newsletter_subscribe mod 1/1    
    </div>
    Actually I did get an error : parse error, unexpected '<' but I might have more error reporting on that you do. It's common for production servers to suppress them for security reasons, tho they should be enabled in application_top.php (around line 47: error_reporting(E_ALL); )

This is actually the most common cause of 'blank' pages-one that confounds me on occasion even tho I know it's something to look for.

I suggest you review any pages you've done manual changes to (special attn to tpl_header.php) and see if the is a typo/syntax error as mentioned above. If you have a text editor that colors to differentiate between php and html areas (like SciTE or Crimson) it might make it easier if you don't see it. Or you are free to email the file to me and I can check it on my system to see if that's the problem child.

Barring more info, that's the best advice I can offer. I see your site is still blank, so I wish you the best of luck in figuring it out.

-Ng_

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by NotGoddess
    ? The 'Subscribe' sidebox title is not a link by default. Are your other sideboxes
    linked? It might be a feature you have enabled somewhere.

[edit: found it]
    edit /includes/modules/sideboxes/YOUR_TEMPLATE/subscribe.php
    and add this somewhere:

$title_link = false;

Let me know if that works and I'll include it in the next update.

-Ng_
    Thanks NG, That's fixed the heading link!

Plugin Contributions

How to set the SideBox Width

Is there a way to set the width of the newsletter subscribe box? When i view my test site using firefox its ok and is the same size as my other right hand boxes, BUT in IE its way larger - any ideas how to fix this?

Page 4 of 117 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast