}
          $zv_paragraph = trim($zv_paragraph);
        } else {
          $zv_paragraph = trim($paragraph);
        }
        return $zv_paragraph;
      }
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: mmmm...Meta Tags - help/guidance needed

Ajeh,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded a new copy of the Zen Cart 1.3.0.1 full set pack, applied the change, deleted the one on the server and copied the new one there. There problem is still not solved.

I went to the site review section to see if others are experiencing the problem and I have pasted a few sites that have descriptions but there are not being auto populated for meta tag description. Is this a bug or we are all missing something, missing a configuration setting or have hosting/server issues?

This obviously cannot be a good thing for shop owners.

Here are some samples sites that have the same problem but may not know it :)

http://shopjackiesjewels.com/index.p...products_id=16
    http://racemode.ca/index.php?main_pa...products_id=48
    http://www.edgewatergifts.com/lift-t...nson-p-79.html

If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks for looking into this.

BTW, Are you able to get the default clean install to auto-generate the description for products? I was not able to make that work either and a few site I visited that have the clean install with sample products do not have it working either.

Plugin Contributions

I donwnload a clean v1.3.0.1 from our link to SourceForge ...

Meta Tags are broken on the auto generated code for description ... I applied the same change I have asked you to try and it fixed it ...

Make one change to the file:
    /includes/functions/functions_general.php

New Code to replace the function zen_truncate_paragraph by adding the else statement:
    Code:
    ////
    // return truncated paragraph
      function zen_truncate_paragraph($paragraph, $size = 100, $word = ' ') {
        $zv_paragraph = "";
        $word = explode(" ", $paragraph);
        $zv_total = count($word);
        if ($zv_total > $size) {
          for ($x=0; $x < $size; $x++) {
            $zv_paragraph = $zv_paragraph . $word[$x] . " ";
          }
          $zv_paragraph = trim($zv_paragraph);
        } else {
          $zv_paragraph = trim($paragraph);
        }
        return $zv_paragraph;
      }
    You may wish to check your site with something like Beyond Compare and see what it is that is not allowing this fix to work for you ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh,

I was finally able to get the patch to work on a clean install. Unfortunately, the patch did not work with my 1.2.7 upgrade. I suspect that my problem is either a setting in Admin or Database problem. I did a file compare of all Admin/Include folders files and they matched. I don't know why it works for me on a clean install but not upgrade. It's also possible that I have a contribution affecting but I have installed all the contributions I have on a clean install and it didn't break the auto generation. I wished I know what I am doing wrong.

If you have any other troubleshooting ideas please pass it on.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Check and see if you are using any kind of overrides on the /includes/modules/meta_tags.php or if you have altered the original ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh
    Check and see if you are using any kind of overrides on the /includes/modules/meta_tags.php or if you have altered the original ...
    Ajeh, thanks again for working with me on this...I have replaced all files on the server with a new downloaded file and I do not have any override in that folder.

I am using the stock meta_tags.php in includes/module. This is driving me crazy...stayed up all night but made no progress.

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh,

I thought I'd let you know that I have now narrowed the problem to two scenarios...

Everything works fine once the patch is applied if it is a clean install of 1.3.0.1 When I upgrade 1.2.7 to 1.3.0.1 and then apply the patch, it does not fix the auto generation issue for product description meta tag. Any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: mmmm...Meta Tags - help/guidance needed

Okay, I finally figured out the problem, at least I think I did. I compared the live store database which is an upgrade and a clean install of 1.3.0.1 database.

The following are missing in my life database configuration and I have a feeling it might be related.

Code:
    INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (336, 'Meta Tags Generated Description Maximum Length?', 'MAX_META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_LENGTH', '50', 'Set Generated Meta Tag Description Maximum Length to (words) Default 50:', 18, 71, NULL, '2006-06-05 14:07:04', '', '');
    Code:
    INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (338, 'Site Map - include My Account Links?', 'SHOW_ACCOUNT_LINKS_ON_SITE_MAP', 'No', 'Should the links to My Account show up on the site-map?<br />Note: Spiders will try to index this page, and likely should not be sent to secure pages, since there is no benefit in indexing a login page.<br /><br />Default: false', 18, 73, NULL, '2006-06-05 14:07:04', NULL, 'zen_cfg_select_option(array(''Yes'', ''No''), ');
    I tried to insert these two missing configuration into the DB but got an error for duplicate key. I believe it's because 336/338 are already in use by another configuration option.

How do I get this into the database without the error?

Thanks!!!

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh, thank you so much for working with me on this issue. I finally got it resolved. Once I entered
    Code:
    INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Meta Tags Generated Description Maximum Length?', 'MAX_META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_LENGTH', '50', 'Set Generated Meta Tag Description Maximum Length to (words) Default 50:', 18, 71, NULL, '2006-06-05 14:07:04', '', '');
    That fixed the problem. I am not sure how that configuration went away or if it was something introduced in 1.3.0.1 I am just glad this is fixed. Now on to other stuff :)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much for the update on this ... I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what could be wrong on your site ... never thought you might have a bad configuration_key or missing one ...

Thanks again for posting the solution to your mystery ...
    Linda McGrath

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast