Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Re: mmmm...Meta Tags - help/guidance needed

Okay I am back but this time with a different issue:

What exactly is the line of code for in /include/module/meta_tags.php?
    PHP Code:
    $meta_tags_over_ride false
    What I am trying to do is override the html_header.php for the index page.

I created a folder in my custom template folder for index and modified html_header.php and placed it. Basically, the only thing I changed was the description tag for the main page.

When I navigated to the main page everything worked fine. However if I clicked on a category, the description tag that is displayed for the category is the one for the index not the custom description set on the admin side.

I have a reason to believe it might have something to do with the case statement for "index" in the meta_tags.php but I don't know what's going....

Help please! I really don't care how I get there...I just want a custom description tag for my home page.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: mmmm...Meta Tags - help/guidance needed

This is for when conditions exist where there cannot be a good build of the meta tag so it goes for a general meta tag ...

By not good, this would be EOF conditions ...

And it builds the meta tags based on:
    PHP Code:
    // meta tags override due to 404, missing products_id, cPath or other EOF issues
    if ($meta_tags_over_ride == true) {

define('META_TAG_TITLE', (defined('NAVBAR_TITLE') ? NAVBAR_TITLE PRIMARY_SECTION '') . TITLE TAGLINE);

define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION'TITLE . (defined('NAVBAR_TITLE') ? PRIMARY_SECTION NAVBAR_TITLE '') . SECONDARY_SECTION KEYWORDS);

define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS'KEYWORDS ' ' . (defined('NAVBAR_TITLE') ? NAVBAR_TITLE ''));

If you do a search on: $meta_tags_over_ride

You can see where each of these situations can occure and nothing is found to build from, so this override kicks in so you have "something" valid ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Embarrassing moments confession ...

I am going through the upgrader and found ... gulp ... I sorta missed adding that configuration_key for: MAX_META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_LENGTH

in the upgrader ...

That insert will be added to the next release ... thanks so much for pursuing this and for posting your solution ...

How totally embarrassing can that be?!
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh, there is nothing to be embarrased about...just means you're human :) Besides, considering how many people have upgraded and I was the only one pesting you about it....it must not have been that big of deal.

Is there a way to use the override system for the html_header.php for the index like I was trying without breaking it? The $100 question is which is more important...customer description for homepage or custom description for each category?

:)

Plugin Contributions

umm ... did you notice the cute little biohazard images now on the Categories?

Zen Cart v1.3 now has custom meta tags for Categories too ...

Make sure that you see the Orange biohazard, which indicates a custom meta tag is set for the Category/Product ... Black biohazard means it is not set ...

Do you have an URL to one of your Categories where you thought you had customized the meta tag for the Category?

Make sure that your meta_tags.php is dated:
    PHP Code:
     * @version $Idmeta_tags.php 3012 2006-02-11 16:34:02Z wilt 
    Also make sure, if you are dated correctly, that you do not have an old meta_tags.php in your overrides directory ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh, everything with the custom category works as it should. However, if I placed html_header.php in my includes/templates/custom/index folder to override just the index page it messes up just the description for the custom category meta_tags. It's very strange but that's the only problem I am experiencing when trying to have a custom description for the index page using the override system. Like I said in my previous post...I believe it has to do with all the case statement for "index" in the meta_tags file but I am not dangerous enough to mess with it.

I am enjoying the beauty of custom meta tags until I break with trying to get custom meta_tag description for the index page

Plugin Contributions

Can you define "messes up"?

I create /templates/my_template_dir/index

and copy the html_header.php into it ...

I get the same results in the meta tags on custom meta tags as I do if I do not have that there ...

Note: anything main_page=index

So, play the Classic game on this one too and see if there is something in your template ...

Make sure that your html_header.php override has all updates that are in the one for template_default ...
    Linda McGrath

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: mmmm...Meta Tags - help/guidance needed

In your YOURTEMPLATE/custom/html_header.php, change this line:
    HTML Code:
    <meta name="description" content="<?php echo META_TAG_DESCRIPTION; ?>" />
    to this:
    PHP Code:
    <?php if ($current_page!='index' || (int)$cPath>) { ?>
    <meta name="description" content="<?php echo META_TAG_DESCRIPTION?>" />
    <?php } else { ?>
    <meta name="description" content="<?php echo CUSTOM_HOMEPAGE_META_TAG_DESCRIPTION?>" />
    <?php ?>
    This says:
    - if (I'm not on the homepage), then display normal metatags content
    - else if(I"m on the homepage), then display the custom metatags content via the CUSTOM_HOMEPAGE_META_TAG_DESCRIPTION constant which you'd have to set in your languages/english/meta_tags.php

Oh ... and you won't need that index/html_header.php override anymore.
    Last edited by DrByte; 10 Jun 2006 at 05:29 AM.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank You! Thank You!! Thank You!!! What a great day! I am soooooo glad for this solution! It works brilliantly. Can you tell I am excited....Whao! Zen Cart is cool!

Thanks Again!

Plugin Contributions

Maybe if you did a quick soft shoe or something across the screen ...

Tearing apart the meta tags to see what you might possibly want on there took a bit ... but DrByte types really fast when I throw a hundred and one facts at him on the what if game of guessing what could you possibly be after that isn't working the way it was designed ... other than a different design ...

Glad the override of the override of the override works for you ...
    Linda McGrath

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast