Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: mmmm...Meta Tags - help/guidance needed

I just sent some "coffee" your way via paypal. Thank you so much for the help on this. This should probably be posted in the FAQ section. In my opinion this completes the customization of meta_tags at product, category and homepage level.

Ah....I love Zen Cart!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Glad to be of help.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Re: mmmm...Meta Tags - help/guidance needed

Hi everybody,
    I have a question about meta tag set up. I received an email from the ranking service company with some stuff I needed to paste and it looks like meta tags. Do I have to paste them the the HTML codes that they sent them with? I am so new at this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Corri
    Hi everybody,
    I have a question about meta tag set up. I received an email from the ranking service company with some stuff I needed to paste and it looks like meta tags. Do I have to paste them the the HTML codes that they sent them with? I am so new at this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    It would help if you elaborate more what type of information you received. Is it a tracking code? Optimized keywords? Optimized description? Depending on what you receive, that will determine what's the proper and efficient place to place the code.

Plugin Contributions

This is the line the email opens with:

Your website code has now been thoroughly analyzed and optimized to a standard that we believe will place you in a whole variety of top 10 ranking positions across most of the major search engines that were included within your original promotion package (and any associated upgrade solutions purchased).

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!
    Corri

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Corri
    This is the line the email opens with:

Your website code has now been thoroughly analyzed and optimized to a standard that we believe will place you in a whole variety of top 10 ranking positions across most of the major search engines that were included within your original promotion package (and any associated upgrade solutions purchased).

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!
    It would appear you're dealing with meta tags.... Just a quick lesson.

Zen Cart is built with a feature to have separate meta tag for each category and products that are separate from the ones on general pages.

to define meta tags for category, go to the Admin -> Catalog -> Categories/Products once you're there..click on the meta tag icon (the last one to the right for any given category) and edit away.

If you want to define meta tag for each product, you will navigate to that product and click on the meta tag icon to define it.

To define site-wide keywords, go to includes/languages/english/YOURcustomtemplatefolder/metatags.php and edit that file for keywords, site title, site tagline and site description.

There more options like using a custom description for the indexed page, changing the amount of text used for default description for products when meta tags are not presents. I have just given you a quick snapshot based on the limited information you provided. You can PM is you need more help but do not want to reveal the information from your ranking company in the public :)

BTW, whatever information you're trying to put on your site will become public to the whole world once you do it right :)

Plugin Contributions

By the way, you might want to reconsider your direct violation eBay terms of service on your eBay store landing page. eBay will eventually freeze your account when then find out but you're not in serious danger as you're not a PowerSeller. eBay usually pay more attention to PowerSellers violating TOS rather than regular sellers.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, thank you soo much. I appreciate all of your help. Aloha!
    Corri

Plugin Contributions

Default Meta Tags - help/guidance needed

I need some help with editing the meta tag description on my home page . It includes the category names and it is far too long . An optimum meta tag description should only be up to 8 words . Which file do I need to edit and what do I need to do to get rid of the category names ?
    http://www.photogold.co.uk Jack Vettriano and Beryl Cook Gallery
    http://www.castlepictures.com Landscape pictures gallery

Plugin Contributions

Meta Tags are controlled in the /includes/modules/meta_tags.php

You can customize this to suite your needs ...

Look at the case statements as they are triggered by the various pages and can be customized to suit ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast