Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default 'point of purchase' POS + ZenCart : inventory attributes

I currently run a clothing line. I design and manufacture, as well as; sell online.
    I am unhappy with my current ecom software so I have been investigating other solutions.

ZenCart is among my top picks!

I am hoping to find a solution that can handle a couple primary things.

1: I need to be able to track inventory with attributes (eg. mensshirt size:L color:blue)
    2: I would like very much if there was a POS solution that could work with my online store, tracking inventory and sales stats ect...

I will be soon opening my first 'real' retail location, and really hope that there are some solutions here.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

thanks
    DusX

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 'point of purchase' POS + ZenCart : inventory attributes

pricing/stock by attributes is not a feature that is currently supported by Zencart. But is on the Dev's radar screen for a future release in some form.

Having accounted for multivariate items in a past life I have to question the reason that for inventory purposes why each type of item does not have a unique SKU or stocking #.

If this is the case then each item would/could be entered as a separate product entry. Then one would have to determine how to list multiple SKU's under a top level item. Maybe in a dropdown selector or?

I have set up what could be consideed a POS system in the respect that a PC is used to generate the onsite sales as an order in Zencart. I have not used a touch screen yet but think that this could also be an option. It might require a bit of custom coding. Even at that the total solution will be more economical than a commercial solution.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra
    I have set up what could be consideed a POS system in the respect that a PC is used to generate the onsite sales as an order in Zencart. I have not used a touch screen yet but think that this could also be an option. It might require a bit of custom coding. Even at that the total solution will be more economical than a commercial solution.
    yes, that's what we're looking for kobra:

1) a POS where a scanner is used to put a product in the zen cart instead of a mouse click. this is very important

2) zen cart then recognizes its POS and gives option to create a customer account or not

Plugin Contributions

I like the direction this is going..

I like the scanner, and dual functionality of the system.. web and POS.

although I will wait and see what happens with the multi attribute tracking, since I must have this in my next system, and since I find the listing of every item/attribut combo as a seperate product rather difficult both to manage and for the web users shopping experience.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DusX
    I like the direction this is going..

I like the scanner, and dual functionality of the system.. web and POS.

although I will wait and see what happens with the multi attribute tracking, since I must have this in my next system, and since I find the listing of every item/attribut combo as a seperate product rather difficult both to manage and for the web users shopping experience.

The person who shows up with an app that includes ZenCart, WebERP and a good POS system will rule the world. I would prefer that it be built on a common services infrastructure (something like http::www.horde.org maybe) with ZenCart, WebERP and the POS as modules. Once that is proven it would be much easier to add CRM which would solve my needs. It would be great for the porjects to agree among themselves and work together on the infrastrucutre with each maintaining control of the infdividual projects. You could then mix and match modules depending on your needs. Again not unlike the horde infrastructure.

Thanks for letting me dream for a sec.

Have a great weekend.

ed

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by neuzen View Post
    yes, that's what we're looking for kobra:

1) a POS where a scanner is used to put a product in the zen cart instead of a mouse click. this is very important

2) zen cart then recognizes its POS and gives option to create a customer account or not
    It is not hard to turn zencart into a POS system.. but I think you'll find it is a bit slow when your customer is standing there..

I added a special side box for one of my clients. When they log in as inhouse sales... a special side box appears. They just click on it and scan the tag. It takes them right to the page.

So it can be done you just need to make the listing 1st. then print a bar code using the item number assigned by zencart.

Plugin Contributions

Hey Gopher897 & the Rest!

This is a great topic! I have created an online wine website (wineclosetinc.com) for my brother in law and he will be opening up a retail store in the very near future. We want to have a way to tie the in store sales to the online store inventory count... this way if something sells out in the store, someone will not try to buy online.

I was thinking if he had a pc at the store with a pos scanner he could simply scan the bottle and bring up the item in his zencart shop online and complete the sale.

Can you help me in guiding me to what hardware and steps I would need to take to accomplish this?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Plugin Contributions

Kobra you're makiing us crazy, where is your POS solution ? Can we see it ?

Plugin Contributions

On the other part of this thread's OP, there *is* a mod available in downloads now: Downloads :: Other Modules :: Stock by Attributes. It is a tide-me-over solution by Kuroi until the official version is released.

Plugin Contributions

Hi All, I am currently have the same issues. I want to tie some sort of POS into the Zen Cart database. After extensive searching, I haven't found anything that fits my needs. So, I started working on my own solution - "Scratching your own itch" as they say with Open Source.

What I ended up doing, for the past three weeks now, is create an order service using PHP 5 and the Zen Cart Ordering code as a basis. Now I can just "tell" the service what products I want to buy and it takes care of the rest for me. No tedious order process needed in Zen Cart while the client is standing there!

The next step now is to create some sort of Interface to enter the order data into the computer quickly and easily.

Since I see more people are confronted with the same problems as I am, would anybody like to join me in this project? I would release the code back to the Zen Cart Community when it's ready.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast