Plugin Contributions

Disable entire shipping module?

Hi,

I'm only selling software that users can download, thus there are no shipping charges for any of my products. What would I need to edit so the shipping address and shipping charges (and any other related shipping information) are not displayed?

I saw a post for:
    ------------------------
    Can I skip the shipping selection page when shipping is free?
    Set all products as free shipping in by editing each one and setting the button in the middle of the product-info/edit screen.

Then enable the free shipping module..
    This will allow shipping to totally bypass the shipping page.
    --------------------------

The above procedure is a little tedious if I never need shipping. If there isn't a way to disable the shipping module, as a workaround I could set a default of free shipping for any item under X--but I'm not sure how to do this.

And this will still prompt the user for the shipping address. I think that the credit card companies only require a billing address -- is this correct?

Thanks,
    jdl

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Disable entire shipping module?

Hi JDL,

Just make sure you edit the product to select "Yes, product is virtual, skip shipping address" and "Always free shipping". Hope this helps.

Plugin Contributions

Re: Disable entire shipping module?

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately the Free Shipping icon appears by each of the products. Since the item is not being shipped, that will be confusing to the user.

What's the best way to keep the Free Shipping icon from appearing?

Thanks,
    jdl

Plugin Contributions

If you have set up your Download correctly ... you do not need to make the Product as Virtual or as Always Free Shipping ...

Zen Cart knows when the whole order is made up of Products that are Downloads and skips the Shipping automatically ...

Make sure that the Option Name is set as an Option Type: Radio Button or Dropdown

Make sure that the Attribute is set with the Download filename and you see the green dot next to it ...

Make sure that you have marked the Attribute as the Default or when added to the cart it will not work properly as the Download will not be included with the Product ...

NOTE: when in the cart you should see the Attribute otherwise, you may have set the Option Type as a READONLY or one of the other Option Types ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Re: Disable entire shipping module?

Linda,

Thank you for your note!

I did see the downloadable product type and I was reluctant to choose it since my software runs on mobile devices; thus, it's not a typical download to a computer. Instead, after the user purchases the software, my website sends the user an SMS text message with the url of the jad file. When the user goes to that url from his/her mobile device, the jar file automatically downloads and the software installs on the mobile device.

My assumption was that if I set up my products as downloads, then many other attributes of downloadable items won't fit my products. For example, normally one would store the filename of the download, and one might display a file download manager. However, in this case, I won't be displaying a filename (for the reason I mentioned above) and the user won't be initiating the download from his/her computer.

Since my products aren't downloadable in the conventional sense of the word, would it still make sense to select this?

If not, I'd like to make sure the free shipping image does not display. If I need to go that route, what's the easiest way to do this?

Plugin Contributions

A Virtual Product also is intelligent and knows that it does not require shipping ...

So just mark it as Virtual as a Service or Gift Certificate would be and it will skip shipping for you automatically and not show the Free Shipping icon the way the Always Free Shipping does ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Disable entire shipping module?

Linda,

Thank you very much! That did it. I changed the prod_always_free_shipping = 0 for all of my products and the free shipping image disappeared.

jdl