Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

"View Cart" Mess Up

Hello All!

Since my last post I've been getting there slowly. Done lots of reading (as I promised kuroi I would) - in fact so much so that I fear an attack of Neuronic Overload!

I've finally got my prototype cart up, (http://sccambria-online-linux-store.com/shop )and I'm slowly seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, but I've a long way to go yet. It's all a case of familiarisation really.

Anyway down to business. I have now run into a problem. When I test the cart with a purchase the main column goes blank and the text dissapears to the bottom left hand (it seems to be trying to stuff itself into a side box). Once that happens all links when clicked also then dump their content in that area. Close the Browser and open the URL to the store up again and everything goes back to normal - until the purchase feature is again used, then it's back in the loop. I guess it's a setting I've messed but I'm blowed if I can find it.

Any suggestions amongst the "Old Timers"?

Thanks,

G

PS - see the SCREENSHOT HERE of the mess:

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: "View Cart" Mess Up

let us see ur CSS files

includes/templates/zcSohoSailing/css/stylesheet.css"
    includes/templates/zcSohoSailing/css/stylesheet_css_buttons.css"

the problem is in the sizes of wraps
    Last edited by sicness; 4 Jun 2006 at 11:00 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sicness
    let us see ur CSS files

Interesting problem. Never seen one like this before in Zen Cart.

Please don't cut and paste your CSS into the forum. I suppose you could zip up the stylesheet and post it as an attachment, but I'd recommend that sicness get Chris Pederick's Web Developer Toolkit for Firefox which allows you to see the CSS for a page, and even edit it locally on the fly to see what effect changes would have (that's why I'm able to give advice on CSS with otherwise completely unwarranted confidence! )
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Wow. Once upon a time, there was Zen Cart. Then along came BiG Gee. You've not just been reading, have you my friend? You've been thoroughly roughing up template system.

I have to confess, I've been toying for a while with stripping out the layout table from tpl_main_page and have made some progress doing so. But it takes you right into the heart of some of the messiest cross browser incompatibilities and hacks, so I haven't approached it with your audacity. And I suspect that this is also why the Development Team didn't either.

This specific problem you have posted however, seems a little more prosaic. What I believe is happening is that despite your div + comment to the contrary, the div for the left hand column is not closed and so the centre column content is being crammed in there. As it is floated right and is wider than the left column div, it sticks out to the left.

An initial candidate as the cause for this problem is your tpl_header file (or wherever you are generating your headerwrap div). Although you open 4 divs for your headerwrap, you only close 3 of them.

However, that doesn't full explain why your page works in other circumstances, so I suspect that there are other problems here too, which may only manifest themselves when this is fixed. Layers of the onion and so on ...

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

[QUOTE=kuroi]Wow. Once upon a time, there was Zen Cart. Then along came BiG Gee. You've not just been reading, have you my friend? You've been thoroughly roughing up template system.
    /QUOTE] Oh - cease! You're making me blush kuroi

I always reckon the best way to learn how to swim is to get someone to push you into the deep end! If you gingerly do it a little step at a time you'll never get there. Of course there's always the risk of DROWNING!

I think I've swallowed a lot of info. but I'm having trouble with little elementary things - due to a lack of previous experience with ZC, CSS and PHP in general.

Keep shining your beacon in the blackness!

G

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sicness
    let us see ur CSS files

Thanks sicnes, but I'll take kuroi's advise about doing that - you never know perhaps I'll decide to sell templates in the future!!

I've also inserted a Java Script to disfunction "right clickers" on the pages. Do you want me to disable the script so that you can view the page source? If it's the size of wraps why does the problem only manifest itself after attempting to make a purchase?

Regards,

G.

Plugin Contributions

Re: posting CSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Big GEE
    Thanks sicnes, but I'll take kuroi's advise about doing that - you never know perhaps I'll decide to sell templates in the future!!
    Sadly, you can't protect your CSS. It has to come down to my PC in order for the pages to be displayed, so it's completely available to me. I can even go to your site and look at it if I wish, simply by entering the full URL name for it, which I can get frm your source. My reason for asking that you not post it, is 'cos people either post the whole thing 600+ lines of it, which is a pain to navigate past, or post the bits that they think, often wrongly, are relevant to their problem which meaning that its often incomplete and misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Big GEE
    I've also inserted a Java Script to disfunction "right clickers" on the pages. Do you want me to disable the script so that you can view the page source?
    Yeah, like that would stop me . Your source is freely available from the view menu in my browser, I can even save a copy of your site (as rendered in HTML) from the file menu. The only thing I can't see is your php - that never leaves your server (at least not legitimately )

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi
    Re: posting CSSSadly, you can't protect your CSS. It has to come down to my PC in order for the pages to be displayed, so it's completely available to me. I can even go to your site and look at it if I wish, simply by entering the full URL name for it, which I can get frm your source. My reason for asking that you not post it, is 'cos people either post the whole thing 600+ lines of it, which is a pain to navigate past, or post the bits that they think, often wrongly, are relevant to their problem which meaning that its often incomplete and misleading.

Yeah, like that would stop me . Your source is freely available from the view menu in my browser, I can even save a copy of your site (as rendered in HTML) from the file menu. The only thing I can't see is your php - that never leaves your server (at least not legitimately )
    I know that - and so can I! I can also view the CSS files now - thanks to the Firefox Developer's Tools BUT your AVERAGE JOE can't, so the right click disable is just to keep the average guy off your stuff, by stopping him spontaneously right clicking on something he likes - I know it's not Rocket Science, but it is a handy deterrent. The bit about keeping it secret WAS tongue in cheek!

How about getting back on track? I'm stumped on this problem - incidentally the problem is displayed differently in each Browser (FF, Opera & IE). However the result is the same = contents out of place. Also I've noticed that if you hover over the Cart Contents (when it appears in the side box) the contents of the other boxes disappears!(In IE anyway)

Good un innit?

G

Plugin Contributions

Stop what you're doing Big Gee. I've cracked it. There's a bug in the tpl_shopping_cart.php file that manifests itself as a failure to close a div when a customer places something in the shopping cart without first logging in. I apologise for not spotting this as the problem sooner for reasons that will become clear if you visit the bug report .

You can see the bug report here, and at the end I have posted the correction you need. This would seem to offer a single explanation that completely fits your symptoms. Let's hope so anyway .

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi
    Stop what you're doing Big Gee. I've cracked it. There's a bug in the tpl_shopping_cart.php file that manifests itself as a failure to close a div when a customer places something in the shopping cart without first logging in. I apologise for not spotting this as the problem sooner for reasons that will become clear if you visit the bug report .

You can see the bug report here, and at the end I have posted the correction you need. This would seem to offer a single explanation that completely fits your symptoms. Let's hope so anyway .
    Sheesh - there's me thinking I was going to be stuck on this one! Kuroi - can you put someone on your "Buddy List" more than once? BEFORE you write back with a serious response THAT WAS ALSO TONGUE IN CHEEK! It's just that I think you deserve to be put there more than once .

I've read the thread dealing with a similar problem in the past - I see what you mean. So is the bug fix now in tablets of stone or are some of the jurors still out on it? It's just that I want to solve the problem but don't want to start creating more by running in to fix this one with hob-nail boots on!

I also have an accomplice on the other side of the Pond who lives in the Big Apple - she will also be very interested in this - she may even contribute to the subject on this forum.

That's it for today

Catch you 2morrow some time.

G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast