Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Override Does not work for me

Quote Originally Posted by teebee2e
    also- if i were to chose a different template like say "future zen" and I wanted my overrides to work- wouldn't they have to be in folders called futurezen? Under includes/languages/english/ ?? That would be the same idea as the custom folder override... i am so confused now because my cart is all screwed up using any other template.. and how do i get overrides? And why cant I use the classic template?
    That's the same reason I haven't set up overrides yet either. I want to use the template I have, not make a diff. custom one. I guess from what they've replied I can make my current template my "override" folder. This is going to get confusing. I haven 't really modified that many actual files tho, just added mods. So we'll see.

Plugin Contributions

Ladysaat and teebee2e - Some help on the big picture of "overrides."

It is a system by which you can change the look of your site. You can create as many templates as you like and turn them off and on at will through the Admin. Zen Cart separates the visual stuff from the core e-commerce code. (Imagine how easy it would be to break that if you are having trouble with the templates!)

What does a template override, override? Glad you asked! Each template will have its own set of graphics and will override the default template. You can use the CSS to override font size and color, background images, background colors, even image placement.

You can also customize language files. This is how you get your own wording into the site. You can also create templates for multiple languages.

Say you want to change the colors, images and text for a Christmas sale. Create a christmas template. Edit it as needed and turn it on. What do you do on Dec. 26? Without an override template you have to delete the christmas stuff and upload the old site again. But you were wise in the ways of Zen Cart. You merely go to the Admin and change back to the template you were using earlier. Voila!

BTW - Ladysaat - You ARE using template overrides. Take a look at you /zcsohosailing folders.

CAUTION - this is a very simplistic explanation and while intended for the private use of our audience is not intended to talk down to/at the recipients nor give a full discussion of everything overrides will do. The author takes no responsibility for the inadequacy of the description or its implementation.

Plugin Contributions

Just read more of the thread. Suggest you re-read what Kobra said.

Remember - Each template you create is what you want it to be. It is the way you customize your site. You seem to think someone is forcing you to do something you don't want to do. Not so. Classic has worked well in the past (thus the name 'Classic') new programming (CSS) makes it nearly obsolete.

Future Zen or template_default is the place to start. (Re-read Kobra's post here then go to top of this forum and read sticky on templates)

Copy files you plan to edit into the override folder (like /zcsohosailing) then edit them.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Sermonzone
    You seem to think someone is forcing you to do something you don't want to do.
    oh no! Not at all actually. I've just been afraid to try it.

I did look at my current soho template. It unfortunetly has the same exact structure as the /classic template. I opened up template_default and went

So let me see if I understand this right though. I have input my own text via the Admin controls.... So I would put a /sohotemplate folder in my language/english thingy and place copies of those changed files in it right?? Cuz right now they aren't in a special folder and the zen cart is using them. I think I did a bad thing yes? I overwrote the basic files? I need to move the custom ones to the /zcsohosailing folder in languages/english and then re upload the original unchanged ones back? that will make my "special" version and it'll be protected then when we update the version right? I think I'm thinking this correctly. I'm going to try it and see if it breaks :

I am just asking for a yes or no. If no and I'm wrong I will continue to dig around and find the right answer. It's just easier for me to talk out my thought process.

Plugin Contributions

Thats eactly what you need to do.

Your file structure would look like this:

INCLUDES
    LANGUAGES
    ZCSOHOSAILING
    ENGLISH
    ZCSOHOSAILING
    HTML_INCLUDES
    ZCSOHOSAILING
    MODULES
    ZCSOHOSAILING
    SIDEBOXES
    ZCSOHOSAILING
    TEMPLATES
    ZCSOHOSAILING

Plugin Contributions

that was the coolest list ever.
    I'm printing it so I now know where the other ones will go and I'll remember where I've put things. Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

The indenting didn't work the way I wanted

Just remember that any files you edit from the main folder(s) go into the zcsohosailing folder(s)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Here's the structuring

Your file structure would look like this:

Code:
    INCLUDES
        LANGUAGES
            ZCSOHOSAILING
            ENGLISH
                ZCSOHOSAILING
                HTML_INCLUDES
                    ZCSOHOSAILING
        MODULES
            ZCSOHOSAILING
            SIDEBOXES
                ZCSOHOSAILING
        TEMPLATES
            ZCSOHOSAILING

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte,
    Thanks, thats what I tried to do.

Plugin Contributions

Okay so going through and creating all my /custom folders. Moved over what was changed, selected the template, did the layout boxes... and a bunch of CSS style stuff is missing. Oh and in my templates/custom folder it had the same structure as the template I purchased. That happened to be the /classic structure. Is there something in that structure that would make the overrides not work and bring all of the CSS style things into play? When I reset it back to my /zcSoho... template everything is fine. I moved the stylesheet over to my custom one as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast