Plugin Contributions

Default I am completely lost....help needed please

Hello All

So sorry to bother you, but I have downloaded my zen cart, and can see it on the web etc, but alas where do I go to change the layout of the colour of the page etc.

I don't know what all these php Css what ever are. Can someone make this really easy for me......yes I am a blonde women !! hehehe

I think my cart has been downloaded to my web host as I have a cpanel?? Just not sure how I can get it to my pc so I can work on it, I mean can you work on it like in dreamweaver or something like that and publish it.

Honestly, I am so lost and am thinking of giving up, only 11 windows open full of text that I really don't understand.

Thanks for any help

(please don't tell me I am the only one who is confused here?? )

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I am completely lost....help needed please

There is a great deal you will want to do. The first two sticky threads in 'Customizing your cart - First Things' will give you lost of info to read up on. Read and re-read.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136

Best wishes

Plugin Contributions

Hi there Bruce

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have looked at those and looked at those and my head is spinning, only been at this for two days now and I just don't understand it.

I know how to get to my page etc and put on products, but I don't like the colours or know how to gett he zen cart on my pc to edit it, oh the list is endless.

Maybe is time to give up haha

Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Sermonzone
    There is a great deal you will want to do. The first two sticky threads in 'Customizing your cart - First Things' will give you lost of info to read up on. Read and re-read.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136

Best wishes

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    I don't know what all these php Css what ever are.
    (please don't tell me I am the only one who is confused here?? )
    Oh no, you're not the only one! Yes, Zen is powerful, yes it is flexible, but it is NOT a cart for beginners or those not willing to learn a bit of PHP or CSS.
    Zen is aimed at technical people - not saying it can't be done, but you're looking at several full days before you even get the idea of over-rides, which are incredibly convoluted. If you value your time, you may wish to consider asking in the commercial help section.

HOWEVER!!! There are already some templates in the downloads area, and I think this one is a great place for beginners to start. Or you may even find a couple of the templates in the download area to your liking.

You might also want to try switching from "classic" to "default" template. The "classic" look is there for historical reasons, but looks about as appealing as the idea of a third series of "Lost".

The rest, as Sermonzone says, is a question of reading.

Plugin Contributions

Oh my that is it, I feel really depressed now.

I did look at other templates, but they downloaded to my pc, but I think the site is on my server....see where is one to start????????

Your site looks good by the way and if I ever get time to look through all the wonderful data I will be back to use the cart.

Thanks for all your help people, just think this is way above my head, that is unless I have some brain waves in the night and think ahh yes I can do everything now hahaha!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kelvyn
    Oh no, you're not the only one! Yes, Zen is powerful, yes it is flexible, but it is NOT a cart for beginners or those not willing to learn a bit of PHP or CSS.
    Zen is aimed at technical people - not saying it can't be done, but you're looking at several full days before you even get the idea of over-rides, which are incredibly convoluted. If you value your time, you may wish to consider asking in the commercial help section.

HOWEVER!!! There are already some templates in the downloads area, and I think this one is a great place for beginners to start. Or you may even find a couple of the templates in the download area to your liking.

You might also want to try switching from "classic" to "default" template. The "classic" look is there for historical reasons, but looks about as appealing as the idea of a third series of "Lost".

The rest, as Sermonzone says, is a question of reading.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    Oh my that is it, I feel really depressed now.
    Don't be! What sort of things are you looking to sell? Maybe Yahoo or ebay stores might suit you better to get you started. It all comes down to initial investment vs long term payoff. You might also want to have a really good look around the admin first, too.

As I said, I'm sure you can find someone to customise it for probably less than you think.

Plugin Contributions

Jacqui,

E-commerce software and easy do not belong in the same sentence. It is not intuitive like playing solitaire.

However, you can learn how to use Zen Cart. There are many people, like Kelvyn, that really know what they are doing will and they patiently answer your questions.

I suggest you load the software and start trying to do some of the things you read about in the FAQ and Wiki. Go ahead and make 100 mistakes, I did ..er.. do (pretty sure I am not past the mistake phase). Read and re-read. Try to make it happen. Search for answer. Post a question. Read and re-read.

Pick something in the links I sent you and try to do that. Everytime you have success it will feel great.

Don't despair. It will take hard work and learning but you can build the site you want. You can get work done on your site at reasonable rates. However, you will probaly want at least a minimum level of ability unless you want to hire someone to run the entire operation.

Plugin Contributions

Here read this post - I put in a lot of info that should help you out

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174925