Page 47 of 74 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

Quote Originally Posted by gus1924 View Post
    How about a question for a really new Zenner? How do I post a new thread to this forum?

Is it on my screen and I just can't see it?
    Select the forum in which you wish to post a new thread then look at the top left of the screen for the "new thread" button. Click that button and you're all set.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gus1924 View Post
    How about a question for a really new Zenner? How do I post a new thread to this forum?

Is it on my screen and I just can't see it?
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=309

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The map idea was actually a good idea for me but not in the way I thought, as I am not a web designer and will not be making changes like a web designer would over and over on other peoples stores. so will not recall it in the same way.

I am sort of using the map idea with the aid of a screene shot and the numbering of the code lines in the css, marking down in the place it links to, also adding the php file names the same way. Also add the number or titel of the helpfile if there is one.

I first tried a printed version but then switched to an image software version, as the numbers change when I add to the css.

this is helping with the design and should also help later if I want to make changes or add anything, as not using that part of the system everyday I'm bound to forget.

Downloading the site from the browser helped a lot with locating the css.

I do know some things I would like to see added someplace and that is some idea on the settings and what you should make sure is not set wrong, things to watch out for on set up, or a checklist of things we all have to do before we can consider the store operational

some more resources for the bussiness side of things possibly its own section or forum section, I suspect that has a lot of pitfalls but the fact we are all in different countries a forum section would be better.

Also when people are making their helpfiles possibly adding a warning for common mistakes. I know I made a few like adding a capital to one of the folers of the template and not to the rest.

Finaly an idea of what resources running a shopping cart will take for example the size of your host package per numbers of items or what is the ballpark figure for a site with ten, twenty, thirty or a thousand items, items?

Plugin Contributions

wow
    well I am back at it again. I took a month off..uploading downloading etc. Still trying to get that "SALES MESSAGE GOES HERE" off of that screen.
    FTP/SQL etc...tried failed, tried failed..etc etc.
    kept getting errors, easier to uninstall 6 times than try to figure out what was going wrong.
    GOT THE BOOK
    read it, but how come there is only one sentence on changing the SALES MESSAGE GOES HERE, and one sentence on the Header....
    not in depth enough for a NEWBEE like me. I need the road map to town not the town itself.
    Anyway...still looking for the cheapest way just to have the main words changed or a logo put in their place...also...
    am I mistaken, but once I have the page set up to a basic green page with words, adding stuff to the catalog and catalog basic maintenance and basic day to day sales can be managed from the Admin log on...???
    I wont have to do any fancy FTP WORK?
    believe me, nothing fancy..
    just the basic green page thingy
    UNLESS there is a program that downloads on top that makes ZEN a drop and click frame site...??!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    The book DOES contain a lot of info, but not about applying modifications (in the sense of the add-on modules from the download section). It is primarily about setting up and using the admin for things like zones, taxes, products, categories, attributes etc.
    already bought and yes you are correct, the basic functions of changing the main heading was only mentioned in one sentence, and that is my first, main and last problem. I kind of get the idea that the admin screen can handle catalog and basic store maintenance but not the major eye sore theme i.e. get rid of the "SALES MESSAGE GOES HERE" thingy. learning the FTP thing is making my skin crawl. I have already been through uploading and uninstalling 3 or 4 times. I am being hosted by godaddy and it is no them not me thank goodness....

Plugin Contributions

Here - https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=127 - strangely enough, with the title of

How do I change the "Sales Message Goes Here" or "Tagline Here" text?

which itself is within the section called

Template Customization/ Building Overrides

Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

thanks...it still all looks greek to me, I know that I cannot access any of that stuff via the control panel, so from there I am lost...but thanks for the info...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhya View Post
    thanks...it still all looks greek to me, I know that I cannot access any of that stuff via the control panel, so from there I am lost...but thanks for the info...
    download a copy of the Zen Cart distribution to your PC. Unzip it in to a folder and you then have the ability to edit whatever file(s) you need.

Once you've don the editing you can then upload them to your server.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhya View Post
    wow
    well I am back at it again. I took a month off..uploading downloading etc. Still trying to get that "SALES MESSAGE GOES HERE" off of that screen.
    FTP/SQL etc...tried failed, tried failed..etc etc.
    kept getting errors, easier to uninstall 6 times than try to figure out what was going wrong.
    Some of the questions I have both asked and found in the ZenCart Forum dealt with finding where to find the text to replace and how to change the Logo. I found a little program which helps me to find those things. It is called "Wilma" and is an outstanding Indexing program for individual files, folders or hard drives.

You can find Wilma Desktop Indexer at: http://wilma.redtree.com/en/help/index.html.

As for the question of where to find, and change, "Sales message goes here." You can find it at:

/zencart/includes/languages/english/classic/header.php

<?php
    /**
    * @package languageDefines
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2005 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    * @version $Id: header.php 2848 2006-01-14 09:47:08Z wilt $
    */
    // header text in includes/header.php
    define('HEADER_TITLE_CREATE_ACCOUNT', 'Create Account');
    define('HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT', 'My Account');
    define('HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS', 'Shopping Cart');
    define('HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT', 'Checkout');
    define('HEADER_TITLE_TOP', 'Top');
    define('HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG', 'Home');
    define('HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF', 'Log Out');
    define('HEADER_TITLE_LOGIN', 'Log In');
    // added defines for header alt and text
    define('HEADER_ALT_TEXT', 'Powered by Zen Cart :: The Art of E-Commerce [home link]');
    define('HEADER_SALES_TEXT', '<h1>Sales Message Goes Here</h1>');
    define('HEADER_LOGO_WIDTH', '200px');
    define('HEADER_LOGO_HEIGHT', '70px');
    define('HEADER_LOGO_IMAGE', 'logo.gif');
    // header Search Button/Box Search Button
    define('HEADER_SEARCH_BUTTON','Search');
    define('HEADER_SEARCH_DEFAULT_TEXT','Enter search keywords
    here');
    ?>

Hope this helps.
    Life is a Team effort with God leading.

Plugin Contributions

If Sandhya is having trouble with the sales message text, I think installing Wilma is going to be waaaaay up the learning curve!
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Page 47 of 74 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast