Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

I'm sure WHAnderson had the best intentions in recommending Wilma but no sense using a Windows Shell program when better ones are available.

Agent Ransack has been in my Web Toolbox for many years and works like a charm. Freely available for the Windows platform and should work on all versions.

Plugin Contributions

Found this digging in the forums, it was new news to me and thought others might not know either... so I thought I would place it here.

from DrByte:

Further, if you are careful to NEVER click a link to an external site (even via bookmarks or linkbars etc) while logged into your admin, then its existence won't be shared.
    Remember, when you click on a link, the info about what site you're going FROM and going TO can be tracked by the servers involved. Thus, if you have your admin open and then open another site from your admin, you have just shared your admin URL with that other site's server, and it will show up in their stats reports.
    So, the key is ... don't do that ! Always access your admin from a fresh browser tab/window, and always close it when done.
    Then google and others won't be able to index it.

Its security is largely dependent on your safe-computing practices.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showpo...77&postcount=7

Plugin Contributions

how do i make add to cart showing on my home page near product ?
    (in specials ,new products,featred)

Plugin Contributions

Well, add me to the list of people frustrated by their inability to change the "Sales Message Goes Here" line.

I'm not a COMPLETE dummy (most of the time). But either the instructions are wrong or I can't read.

The tutorial says:

> To change the “Sales Message Goes Here” or “Tagline Here” text to say what you want open the includes/languages/english/header.php file in your text editor. Find the following line of code:

> define('HEADER_SALES_TEXT', 'Tagline Here');

> Replace the tagline text with your own text, making sure that the single quote marks are not left out.

> Save the edited file to includes/languages/english/custom/header.php and upload it to your server.

> NB: By default the text “Sales Message Goes Here” is located in includes/languages/english/classic/header.php

Okay. So I opened and edited includes/languages/english/header.php using Notepad (everything smarter made my store blow up) and, lo and behold, it has that Tagline Here line. So I carefully replace the text in between the single quotes with Welcome to MamaSylvia's Stuff and save it to includes/languages/english/custom/header.php Then I upload it to http://www.SteigerFamily.com/ZenCart...nglish/custom/ Then I go to http://www.steigerfamily.com/ZenCart/ and I see "Sales Message Goes Here." Argh

Maybe I was supposed to upload it to the regular includes/languages/english subdirectory. Nope, sales message is still there.

Well, even though the FAQ says to edit includes/languages/english/header.php, it also says the "Sales Message Goes Here" is in includes/languages/english/classic/header.php. Maybe I should edit that one. So I open it and change Sales Message Goes Here to Welcome to MamaSylvia's Stuff, save it back into the includes/languages/english/custom/ directory and upload it to the http://www.SteigerFamily.com/ZenCart...nglish/custom/ and try reloading my ZenCart home page. Again, I see "Sales Message Goes Here."

Well, maybe I was supposed to upload the header.php from the classic subdirectory into the classic subdirectory on the site. Woops, that was exceptionally bad, now I have a blank page. I quickly upload unchanged the header.php from the classic subdirectory on my computer and reload the main store page again. The Sales Message Goes Here is unchanged but at least I don't have a blank page any more. Putting it in the regular includes/languages/english subdirectory didn't get rid of the sales message either.

Bluehost is my hosting service and I use their WebDisk program to transfer files, which has worked fine with everything else I've done, including installing ZenCart. The only possible oddity I can identify is that WebDisk says the header.php file is on https://www.SteigerFamily.com:2078/ZenCart/ etc. directory, and I don't have an SSL certificate (and I said "no" to SSL on installation). I've uploaded every combination of edited and unedited pages I can think of. I can NOT see what I'm doing wrong. What would a pro charge to make that one change for me? I've got products up ready to buy, some in different flavors or scents, I've done dummy orders and gotten all the way up to the final click in Paypal, so it looks like everything is functional. But that message is really annoying and unprofessional-looking.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Sylvia
    PM at your own risk, I don't check in regularly!
    MamaSylvia.com My ZenCart tutorial
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Confirm that when you go to admin > tools > template selection that the template DIRECTORY name is indeed "custom".

Looks to me as if you've got the Classic template selected
    Last edited by Ryk; 19 Feb 2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Confirm that when you go to admin > tools > template selection that the template DIRECTORY name is indeed "custom".

Looks to me as if you've got the Classic template selected
    I just made the custom directory in my template directory. is the only file I need to add to that "template_info.php"? nothing else such as css or images files?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ttb View Post
    I just made the custom directory in my template directory. is the only file I need to add to that "template_info.php"? nothing else such as css or images files?
    Well, strictly all you need is the template_info.php file. But it won't be much of a template without some custom images and styling, not to mention textual changes from default Zen Cart wording.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    Well, strictly all you need is the template_info.php file. But it won't be much of a template without some custom images and styling, not to mention textual changes from default Zen Cart wording.
    does that mean I need to copy/add the css and images folder into the CUSTOM folder as well? ideally from the classic/templates folder?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ttb View Post
    does that mean I need to copy/add the css and images folder into the CUSTOM folder as well? ideally from the classic/templates folder?
    You don't need to no. The stylesheet is probably a good idea, and there is a lot of structure embedded in there (but when I'm feeling brave I start with an empty one and build from the ground up), however you would only copy the images if you wanted your template to look like the classic template, otherwise you'd create your own.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

> Confirm that when you go to admin > tools > template selection that the template DIRECTORY name is indeed "custom".

Yes, it is set to "classic." I tried to edit it to change it to "custom" but there are no options other than "classic."

All I want is the easiest, simplest way to replace the "Sales Message Goes Here" with "Welcome to MamaSylvia's Stuff." I'm not trying to do a lot of fancy layout or page customization. I may later on, but my immediate concern is simply to get the store working. I also need to find that 3-lb tare and change it, which I have had NO success with, sheesh!
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Sylvia
    PM at your own risk, I don't check in regularly!
    MamaSylvia.com My ZenCart tutorial
    [/FONT]

Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast