Page 54 of 74 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

Many thanks! It worked great. I downloaded meta_tags.pho to my Top Style text editor, added the necessary metafile tags, loaded it back up and it changed the tags on my site. Great! Merci!
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fabienne View Post
    Many thanks! It worked great. I downloaded meta_tags.pho to my Top Style text editor, added the necessary metafile tags, loaded it back up and it changed the tags on my site. Great! Merci!
    Glad to help!

Plugin Contributions

After much frustration, I finally figured out how the "attributes" work. Now, however I am stuck on the changing of "Sales Message Goes Here" etc. I have read the FAQ's, unfortunately, I am unable to translate the lingo and I am completely lost. Where, where, where??? do you find the files that are to be edited. Which link "catalogs?" "tools?". I am in need of a sort of step by step. I am an extreme beginner but I am ready willing and able to learn fast. Please, someone out there help! I am going bald pretty fast

Plugin Contributions

It would be great if there were one page that used all of the styles but wasn't used on the site that I could pull into Dreamweaver and style it up and see my changes in real time, since Dreamweaver will modify the CSS source from a page calling it. This would make it quick and easy for people to change their designs (as long as they use Dreamweaver, at least).

Plugin Contributions

I have found a problem with the pop up window being 25mm too short to show the full image regardless of image size. I have noticed that a post was made in 2005 complaining about it, so it would appear Zen Cart has always had this problem. Below is a work around and works with no problems on our shop......do you think it is now time after so many years that you made a patch for this problem

To make the image popup window show the picture the correct size without cutting the bottom off? I went to the following page:

includes/templates/template_default/popup_image/tpl_main_page.php

on this page near the top I found this line:

?>
    <body id="popupImage" class="centeredContent" onload="resize();">
    <div>

I then deleted the () after resize so it looked like:

?>
    <body id="popupImage" class="centeredContent" onload="resize;">
    <div>

to then centre the box I went to:

includes/modules/pages/product_info/jscript_main.php

after screen Y I changed left=150 to left=500 in both lines

My picture now shows correctly in the popup box and the box is in the centre. Hope this may help if anybody else has the same problem I had.
    Regards
    K

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by volarete View Post
    It would be great if there were one page that used all of the styles but wasn't used on the site that I could pull into Dreamweaver and style it up and see my changes in real time, since Dreamweaver will modify the CSS source from a page calling it. This would make it quick and easy for people to change their designs (as long as they use Dreamweaver, at least).
    Use Firefox with the Web Developer & Firebug add-ons then you can easily identify the css of any element on any page, modify it in real time - only YOU see the changes on your screen until you save and upload those changes.

Firebug actually displays the hierarchy of the style on the element, allowing you to easily find why something you are trying to do is not working exactly as you expect.

It's free.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Whoa! .... This is the first day that I installed Zen Cart via Fantastico. I am just an average "Jane" who doesn't have ANY technical knowledge. Liken me to your Mom or Grandma, if you will. Though I am sharp and pick things up, I just need to know what it is that I need to pick up.

I went to download one of the templates and then it occured to me that I have no idea where to put it! And then how to get where it needs to go, in order for it to appear ... like magic, right ....wrong. Not so easy or simple, at least for me.

Will it (the template) then show up on the hosted site I have, since I installed it (Zen Cart) there? or will it stay inside My computer? How do, or what do I do to get it to show up on my hosted site?

I read from your facts area, the tutorials on this site, and the tutorials on my host site (hosted site's a snap to understand). So actually doing the basics is not going to be hard. Bravo, confidence!

But, getting a template will to show up and be useable will, one of the free creations, which are awesome. But, after I somehow get it to show up, how to I upoad an image or logo up...like climbing a mountain, but since I am a mermaid, I suppose I can just float up that mountain! Do I need an HTML editor? I downloaded one NVU, very simple, it seems, a Mozilla creation. Am I FTPing stuff to my hosted site? Am I making sense?

You wanted suggestions for your book. By the way I need to get that book shown everywhere for $44.00, can't remember the name, it's constantly being advertised. Like "How to get started" I looked at it and it seems to be something a lay person could understand. Textual and visual handholding. I'm all about that, currently. Should I ever become a Guru, then "not". pffff.

Yes....why don't we have a handholding book, for people like me, who don't know squat about CSS, HTML, code, script, PHP, MySQL, overiding, underscoring and yippity do dah day!!!

I have two suggestions: (didn't I say that before?)

1. Write something in language that ANYONE, ANYWHERE...could understand. Knowing that there are people out there who want to try this shopping cart out, we hear it's powerful and free, and we want to prosper and be able to buy a car or fix our teeth, too. Ensure it is concise, don't go off into never never land, because we will "never" find you. Think how I or others just starting their business would think.
    A. Don't have $$$, can't hire a programmer. Often the case.
    B. How do I get it to look similar to my existing website, or create a store that represents my products, etc. Creative Control for the novice in computer use. Not that someone is a novice in computer use, but in website or shopping cart design and application. I would kiss the ground you walk on!!!!!
    C. Create a WYSIWYG program and be done with it! Imagine the possibilities. Then Zen Cart would not be so hard to use, for a wanna-be Shop owner. This would be sooo useful.
    D. Integrate the WYSIWYG with the Product Manager, offer it as an integral part of Zen Cart.

Take the virginal insanity out of the whole thing, PLEASE!

:

I will hang in there and try! It looks like I need to go back to school to use a shopping cart, pretty much. I just want 2 more things, at the initial set up ( I just said I want 2 things up above ). (think brick and mortar) what does someone need in a brick and mortor initial set-up.

0. Ground Zero...they need to become oriented toward being a business owner and how to get set up, AH-HA, I need a file cabinet, I NEED FILES! what kind...where ? I need to tear down and build a shelf. Gather the tools, gain some knowledge and execute.

1. They need a place to sell, first of all. And it needs to be painted and spruced up before customers can come in. How many people like going into an undone store? We love great looking stores, boutiques and so forth. Customer like ambiance, so do storeowners.

2. Next they need to bring in products, label them, set their prices, displaying them, order more, do their books and so forth.

I am simplifying it a lot, but you get the idea, aside from getting legal and so forth. The basics integrated for the common person. And, made part of the open source community, without some vulture coming and charging a zillion dollars for it. Simple, compassionate and humane.

How do I find out what files to make? And where, on my computer or can I direct it to my upload manager in my computer to put it in a file or my zip utility? What do I label the file as to direct it? Will the template set up automatically then, or do I need to do other things? Or am I not getting it at all. Someone needs to explain to me the "it", so that I know what "it" is that I'm not getting.

I really do need some help, and to pick up that book...but if you could consider some of my suggestions, that would be awesome.

Thank you
    Mountain Mermaid 007

Plugin Contributions

okay i have not read the whole thread but

Quote Originally Posted by Sermonzone View Post
    I would like to hear from New Zenners about this project. What did you have the most trouble with? What documents did you feel were lacking? What were the top problems and questions you had? -- Things like that.
    the biggest issue i am having is learning my way around the back end of zen, i mean it couldn't be simpler but to someone who is starting to get the feel of being zenned i would definately buy a

"...things every New Zenner should know but doesn't know where to find."
    other than that the FAQ and forum searches have been pretty resourcefull and feel pretty confident about my zen store

Plugin Contributions

I have bought and read the estart instruction book and all the help files and still can not find where to change the content of the box that comes with the advertisement for the estart instruction book. Any suggestions?

Plugin Contributions

Some are sidebox banners that can be turned on/off/deleted in
    Admin/Tools/Banner Manager.

The big one in the middle has instructions under it on where it's located, how to edit/remove, etc:

This content is located in the file at: /languages/english/html_includes/classic/define_main_page.php
    You can quickly edit this content via Admin->Tools->Define Pages Editor, and select define_main_page from the pulldown.
    NOTE: Always backup the files in /languages/english/html_includes/your_template
    [FONT=Arial]Country Kitty Crafts[/FONT][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Page 54 of 74 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast