Plugin Contributions

Default Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file - (but it is set to 444)

I have installed Zen cart several times before with no problems, but this time, I have this warning sign:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /www/a/b/nameofsite.com/htdocs/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

I know what this means, but I did set my permissions on that file to 444. The weird thing is, every time I go back and look at it again, it sets itself to 446 (which is fine also). But it appears that something somewhere thinks that it is set to 777. I was working on a different server than I normally do (and it boots you off after every few minutes), but I was very careful to not mix up any of the folders as I worked on there.

If there is no solution to this problem (ie I mixed something up somewhere), can I just reinstall my zc_install folder? Will putting zc_install back into the directory and reinstalling do the trick (and are there any other files I need to reinstall, like maybe the two configure files)? Since this server gives me the boot after every 5 files I transfer to it, I would really love to avoid unpacking the entire zen cart contents over again, plus I already made plenty of customizations to the files on this one.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file - (but it is set to 444)

Some hosting sites will not allow you to change permissions to 444 via FTP ...

You will need to make the change in your Control Panel ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file - (but it is set to 444)

Some questions?

Who is your host? What ftp program are you using? Can you use Cpanel to change the permissions on the file?

What do you mean you were working on a different server?

Plugin Contributions

Hi, Thanks for responding. I am using Pow Web this time, ( helping a friend with their Zen site, my hosting co. is Godaddy). I'm on a mac so I am using Fetch, which is usually pretty good. Don't know why it keeps dropping the connection with this.

How would I change it in the control panel?

I am not sure that this is the problem though. I just checked my own zen cart site (which is running fine) and those two files are set to 644 as well (Owner can Read and Write, all others Read Only). Would my reinstall idea work?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Resolved - I think

I went to the control panel, set the permissions to 444 there, and lo and behold, they did the same thing they were doing before - automatically resetting to 664. I called the hosting company and had to put in a written request to change the permissions on those 2 files and they said they will be changed in 24-48 hours. Strange. I wonder why it is like that.

Plugin Contributions

Hopefully you will not find other issues like this ...

Note: you will need their 24-48 delay to change those settings in the future should you need to edit those files as you cannot upload and overwrite a file set to 444 ...

Might suggest to them that this is dang inconvenient ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Sorry about the trouble with your host. It does not make sense to me that the hosting company would not give your control over your own files.

Glad you are gong the right direction though.

Plugin Contributions

The same happend to me ,
    The host said it's Because the host data backuping,

Later, it's OK
    My Zen cart China FOB