Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

changing from lbs to kgs for shipping weight?

Hello everyone, and I hope someone can help...

I am trying to set up the zone rates in the shipping module, and I was wondering if there was any way of changing how weight is calculated so that it uses grammes/kilogrammes instead of pounds. Any ideas? I've wracked my brains and had a really good look around, but I'm stumped. Hope I'm not being stupid, and cheers in advance!

Pat

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: changing from lbs to kgs for shipping weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Allosaurs
    Hello everyone, and I hope someone can help...

I am trying to set up the zone rates in the shipping module, and I was wondering if there was any way of changing how weight is calculated so that it uses grammes/kilogrammes instead of pounds. Any ideas? I've wracked my brains and had a really good look around, but I'm stumped. Hope I'm not being stupid, and cheers in advance!

Pat
    Apart from in the USPS shipping module, Zen Cart doesn't care whether you use lbs, grams, kilo or zerkuts from the planet Zog. The units displayed are purely cometic. What you do have to do however, is choose between grammes and kilos and be consistent throughout in their usage.

For example, if you enter all your weights in grammes e.g. product X weights 500 and product Y weights 1,000, then enter their weights as 500 and 1,000 respectively or 0.5 and 1. Then when you enter your shipping table set your range to 0-750 (for example) or 0-0.75 as appropriate.

You can change the units actually displayed on the pages by using the Developer's Tool kit in Admin to search for all instanes of "lb" and "lbs" (from memory I think there's 2 of the former and one of the latter)
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Blimey that was fast, I hardly got the chance to boil a kettle!

You can change the units actually displayed on the pages by using the Developer's Tool kit in Admin to search for all instanes of "lb" and "lbs" (from memory I think there's 2 of the former and one of the latter)
    I did try the developers toolkit as I suspected it was just a case of changing the units as you describe, but I overcomplicated my search and got no joy...its blooming obvious now you've spelt it all out though. I'm kicking myself. I think I've been staring at my shop for far too long.

Many thanks for your patience (and speed!)

Pat

Plugin Contributions

Blimey that was fast, I hardly got the chance to boil a kettle!
    That sounds like a very British English expression...so you may be interested in locating the UK Template
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk
    That sounds like a very British English expression...so you may be interested in locating the UK Template
    There's a lot of good in the UK Template, but last time I looked one big bad that outweighed them, i.e. that it once installed the user is left with a new template that leads them down the "classic" path.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

What I did was take the sql patch from the uk template, then I went with the future_zen template for the overall look of my site. Future_zen is very tweakable, I've had lots of fun with it, and the sql patch made the shop UK friendly in an instant. I'm presuming its ok to mix and match like this! Of course I havent fully tested everything but it all seems to work very well together and I'd cautiously recommend the combination to any scared newbie.

Plugin Contributions

What I did was take the sql patch from the uk template, then I went with the future_zen template for the overall look of my site. Future_zen is very tweakable, I've had lots of fun with it, and the sql patch made the shop UK friendly in an instant. I'm presuming its ok to mix and match like this! Of course I havent fully tested everything but it all seems to work very well together and I'd cautiously recommend the combination to any scared newbie.
    This is easily the most impressive post that I've read today. It's really great to see this sort of initiative from somebody who has not long started using Zen Cart .

I believe that it is OK to mix and match like this and the SQL patch will have done most of the UK customisation for you. There will still be some odd missing bits that are in the define statements dotted about the place, such as the weight units that kicked off this thread, but they can easily be mopped up as your spot them.

Plugin Contributions

I'd be careful when doing a generic "find & replace" for the string "lb" and replacing it with "kg".

Amongst other things, people in Lebanon might end up a bit confused. Not that they're probably bothered about your shop right now.

In the end, after downloading the site to Dreamweaver and having a proper look through, I found that changing the following three constants did the trick:

TEXT_PRODUCT_WEIGHT_UNIT in "includes/languages/english.php"
    MODULE_SHIPPING_ZONES_TEXT_UNITS in "includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/zones.php"
    TEXT_PRODUCT_WEIGHT_UNIT in "admin/includes/languages/english.php"

Cheers, Danny
    Last edited by danyal; 12 Aug 2006 at 05:27 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Wow, that worked GREAT!!! I used to use developer's tool to find lb instances. Then upgraded my site to 1.3.1 and had to change lb to kg again. Got your suggestion above.

Changed just 3 files. Now perfect. Thank you!!! It should be in the FAQ.
    I wonder if these 3 changed files be in override files.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by zenartman
    I wonder if these 3 changed files be in override files.
    The 2 files that are "not" in the admin area should be changed in overrides.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast