Plugin Contributions

Default Customer Referral Question

In the database under customers, there is a field called customers_referral
    It is blank on all customer fields.

Is this tied to the customer referral report?
    If so - Would it work to change the customers_referral field to an auto increment number and then pass that # so the customers can refer a new customer to the site. When the new (Referred customer) registers they add that # to the referral box in the registration - If they do that will that # show on the customer referral report?

A little confused but just trying to figure out the purpose.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Referral Question

The way this works is ...

You can have the Discount Coupon be a "referral" ...

Let's say you use ads or sales people that pass these Discount Coupons out ...

First Discount Coupon used is the "referral" code

You can also turn on the Referral code in the create account where they would enter the Referral code so they are encouraged to use it ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Right, I have the referral code turned on.

So the customers_referral field in the customers table is tied to a discount coupon??

I guess I dont understand.

Lets say Customer A is registered already.
    Customer A wants to tell potential Customer B about the site.
    He can send potential customer B an email saying check out this site - be sure to add in Referral code XXXXX in the registration form so I get a discount.

Potential Customer B registers - when he gets to the referral box to enter XXXXX

Where does the XXXXX come from so it traces back to Customer A so I know on the referral report Customer A sent Customer B?

I have to set up a coupon for all this to work? You cant just give registered customers a Referral #?

Plugin Contributions

This is where you determin how to manage this ...

Either you give your customers a Discount Coupon to pass out to friends ... or use a Discount Coupon in Ads and tell people use the referral code ...

Or, set the referral code to be the first Discount Coupon used ...

This is not a major tracker of referrals ... this is a fast tracker of how to see where people come from ...

You can add more indepth programs like in our Recommended Service on the main Home page ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

OK thanks - Not really understanding so I guess I will play around a little and see what I come up with.

I appreciate the time.

Plugin Contributions

Make 3 Discount Coupons ...

Make 3 customers and each uses a different coupon on create account and order ...

Now look at the report ...

Next, have 1 customer come back and buy more ...

Now look at the report ...

Make a 4th Discount Coupon ...

Look at the report ...

Notice it is not even there? This is because no one has ever "claimed" that coupon as the Referral code ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

OK makes sense - Not exactly what I was looking for though - Didnt want to have to create a coupon for each referral - just generate a # upon registration so they can send it to use with the referral box.

I was thinking of the idevaffiliates from the recommended services but need to figure out if the payout is only cash or can it be set to store credit. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    You can also turn on the Referral code in the create account where they would enter the Referral code so they are encouraged to use it ...
    I apologize for bumping such an old post.. However it was the only one which covers the topic and question I have.. On to my question..

I wanted to use this option, but I was wondering if I could use it so that new customer's can enter a person's name in the referral code field. I tried it and it appears that I can't get reports this way. If I enter a name in the referral code, the name appears in the drop down list of codes in the Customers Referral Report, but no report actually generates.. So does the referral code HAVE to exist as a coupon code for me to run reports?? I know this is a down and dirty feature, but I was hoping to at least be able to track referrals from specific customers without having to create coupons for each customer..

ETA: Forgive me for being dense.. I just looked at this report again.. Does this report only show results if the new customer actually PLACES an order versus just creating an account???

Plugin Contributions

DOH!!!! Nevermind.. found my answer..

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Customer Referral Question

Hi all, is there a way to use discount coupons as affiliate links as well?

For example I will be placing adds on yahoo, google, newspapers, etc. I'd like the links that I provide to look like:
    mydomain.com/yahoo (where yahoo is the discount coupon)
    mydomain.com/google

this way the name I assign to the affiliate is an actual refferal code that is added onto that account directly when the user shops and the user wont have to type it in?

This would be a great way for me to tell how my marketing programs are working, any helps is greatly appreciated.