Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Two price options per item

I have kind of a unique problem with a site I'm developing for a client.

The client is selling cloth, linens and fabrics on this site. Apparently they want to sell them by the foot (enter a quantity into the shopping cart), but also sell them by the Full Quarter or something like that, which is apparently a pre-cut square of the cloth. Basically there will be two prices per product, but you'll enter a simple quantity into either one, like a normal site.

I have looked into product attributes, but that doesn't seem to be what I need. As far as I can tell, there is no set percentage difference, or consistent flat rate difference between the two prices. So I can't just make a product attribute that is 10% cheaper, or $.50 cheaper, etc.

What would be the best way to go about handling something like that, without having to make hundeds of different product attributes to account for all of the price differences?

Hope I explained that clear enough.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Two price options per item

Are you saying you need the Products Price to be $100.00 and the Attributes Price to be $90.00?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I think attributes can handle this neatly.

Set the base price to zero, and price by attributes on.
    Make a radiobutton option name of "Unit of Measure", with values of "Foot" and "Full Quarter".
    Set up the attributes in a sample product and duplicate them to all applicable products, then edit the attributes in each product to give the prices for that product.

You will show:

Fabric A
    Unit of Measure: () Foot ($1.23)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . () Full Quarter ($3.45)

Fabric B
    Unit of Measure: () Foot ($2.34)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . () Full Quarter ($7.89)
    Then the quantity the customer purchases will be denominated in feet or quarters according to the choice.
    The only drawback to this is that stock levels would become meaningless without a code tweak to adjust for the unit chosen.

Plugin Contributions

That may work, gjh42, thanks a lot for the tip. I hadn't thought of just keeping the actual product price at 0. I was just going to have the price, and then the difference between the foot/fatquarter price.

I would still have to create a different attribute for each price though, correct? Not all of them would be the same price.

Plugin Contributions

You would create one set of attributes (unit/foot/fatquarter) which would go into every product; then each product could have its own dollar values for foot & fatquarter. The attributes can keep the same name from product to product without being tied to the same price.

Plugin Contributions

I know this is an old thread, but this is exactly what I'm looking for. I also own a fabric shop, and what I'm trying to do is the same.

We currently sell fabric by the yard and fraction of a yard, which works just fine.

We would also like to be able to sell what is called a "Fat Quarter"
    (which is a pre-cut piece that is priced the same no matter what the per-yard price of the fabric is) of every fabric we offer.

If I set the price to Zero, won't that be my display price on the product listing page? I don't want to make it harder for them to order yardage.

Is it possible to add an Attribute that changes the price to a specific price regardless of the base price?

Thanks,
    Jessica
    w w w . b e s t f r i e n d s q u i l t s h o p . c o m

Plugin Contributions

Cannot see your site ... bad URL ...

On the Attributes is an Option:
    Include in Base Price
    When Priced by Attributes
    No Yes
    If using Priced by Attribute and this is a $0.00 and you do not want to see the $0.00 then mark it NO so that it is not used in the Priced by Attribute calculation ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Is your shop www .b e s t f r i e n d s q u i l t s. com?

If you have two attribute alternatives which each have a price included in the base price, and base price 0, and the product is priced by attributes, the displayed price will show the lower of those (usually with "Starting at").

I'm not sure what happens if one of those attributes is not included in the base price - possibly the other one is used as the base, but if the "not included" option is chosen, then that is the actual final price? It wouldn't take long to experiment with those alternatives on a test product.

Plugin Contributions

Marking things out of being included in the Base Prices is just for the sake of display prices for when, for whatever reason, picking the lowest calculated prices of the Attribute Groups is not the correct display Price on a Product that you want customers to see throught the shop ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

So excluding the fixed price "Fat Quarter" option from base would let the "Per Yard" option price show as the base, giving the correct relative product price display in product listings.

That's a nice feature, being able to price by attributes and not have a rare lower-priced option be shown as the base, letting the option that most people will want show as the base price.
    Last edited by gjh42; 14 Oct 2009 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast