Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen-cart template install error

The only way around the problem is to manually go through all the upgrade procedures, treating the purchased template like it's an old version of Zen Cart.... and merge all the changes from the template into the new version of Zen Cart.
    Upgrade instructions/concepts are explained in the /docs/2.readme-upgrade.html in your /docs folder of the Zen Cart ZIP file. This is not something you will fix in 5 minutes.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    The only way around the problem is to manually go through all the upgrade procedures, treating the purchased template like it's an old version of Zen Cart.... and merge all the changes from the template into the new version of Zen Cart.
    Upgrade instructions/concepts are explained in the /docs/2.readme-upgrade.html in your /docs folder of the Zen Cart ZIP file. This is not something you will fix in 5 minutes.
    55 minutes? 555 minutes? what's the avg estimate for new zenners with some coding skillz?

what i'm wondering is what will take more time: designing new template or going through upgrades with good looking template.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Converting from an older table-based template to a newer more contemporary non-table-based template would be best done starting fresh. How long to do really depends on your customizations and needs. Like designing a new template, one hour to one hundred hours depending on skills, needs, etc. Also depends on how many customizations you've made to other parts of your site.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    Converting from an older table-based template to a newer more contemporary non-table-based template would be best done starting fresh. How long to do really depends on your customizations and needs. Like designing a new template, one hour to one hundred hours depending on skills, needs, etc. Also depends on how many customizations you've made to other parts of your site.
    i havent done any customizations; im debating whether to use zencart or oscommerce with a bunch of contribs added on.

almost zenned after i saw templatemonster ...but then i get this security patch email and found a UK site that was apparently hacked after searching for vBulletin... and then i see vBulletin terms in the security patch and am told its a browser refresh issue.

but that's a red herring. why are vBulletin terms in the patch reference when there's not supposed to be anything related to vBulletin in zen? its not that i dont trust the core zen community, but it does worry me when i see vBulletin, even if its just a variable term, in the virgin code, un##############ized i assume.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by neuzen
    i havent done any customizations; im debating whether to use zencart or oscommerce with a bunch of contribs added on.

almost zenned after i saw templatemonster ...but then i get this security patch email and found a UK site that was apparently hacked after searching for vBulletin... and then i see vBulletin terms in the security patch and am told its a browser refresh issue.

but that's a red herring. why are vBulletin terms in the patch reference when there's not supposed to be anything related to vBulletin in zen? its not that i dont trust the core zen community, but it does worry me when i see vBulletin, even if its just a variable term, in the virgin code, un##############ized i assume.
    i grepped BEGIN__VBULLETIN__CODE__SNIPPET in a virgin install of zen *.2 ... no match r you referencing a fix for the code used for this site?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by neuzen
    i grepped BEGIN__VBULLETIN__CODE__SNIPPET in a virgin install of zen *.2 ... no match r you referencing a fix for the code used for this site?
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showpo...88&postcount=6

Plugin Contributions

With Template Monster templates the emphasis must be on Monster. You may be paying an arm and a leg to buy one - but they pay 'developers' $30-40 per template. There's an old saying which seems to fit - "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Vger
    With Template Monster templates the emphasis must be on Monster. You may be paying an arm and a leg to buy one - but they pay 'developers' $30-40 per template. There's an old saying which seems to fit - "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

Vger
    i'm sure that's why zc is free!

^.^

...just wish there were skins/skinning systems as awesome as the ecommerce engine.

Plugin Contributions

Hey Neu,
    Honestly, take it for a test drive,
    use the template_default as a roadmap and make your own template,

Is it easier to fix a TM template, YES.
    is it worth it NO

TM is all tables ( Zen 1.3 is almost table less )
    TM requires a ton of extra crap and sql file. that if NOT careful will add their demo shop in place of your zen cart.
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

i'm sure that's why zc is free!
    Zen Cart is free because of all of the many hours of hard work put into it by a bunch of dedicated people - whose motivation is to make the cart the best it can be.

They also support their work. But if I had a penny for very post I've seen which goes something like this then I'd be rich indeed.

"I bought this template and paid good money for it. It's busted, it doesn't work, and they won't answer any of my support emails. Can somebody else me please?"

Vger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12