Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: removing login info

The way I see it, it's a matter of salesmanship. Are you selling them a bucket of $#!* or a bucket of the finest fertilizer for their roses?

I think you would be better served to let your customers understand that some information has to be gathered in order to be able to properly protect their identity in a time when not only they but you are doing all in you power to prevent someone from stealing from them through identity theft.

Especially in these days and times when folks are willing to give up a little privacy for security.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: removing login info

Wow! This has been an exicting section of posts! I to, wanted to speed the process of customers purchasing products (usually under $5) along before they realized that the time involved wasn't worth the money. Developers of Zen Cart (who I really appreciate for their time and excellent product) don't have to back down from their original creation (which was obviously agreed upon as being a wonderful "child"), however, they should also realize that many (or most) "Zenners" aren't selling Rolex watches. I read somewhere that customer motivations are 90% want and 10% need, therefore when customers pause, even for a moment, they are calculating facts and figures "time equals money". The desire for a quick sale on the part of "Zenners" is not an attempt to undermine the process of Zen Cart, but rather to utilize known drives in humans...to change their minds incessantly, and work within THOSE known parameters.

I believe that another cart (not just adding a "buy now" button) eliminated the registration process, so that's an alternative you can look into. The Zen Cart is very nice, as this is my third cart and I'm sticking to it. I'm not a programmer, but I've changed a few of the "this and thats", but put them back as I want to leave room for "future" customers NEEDING to be registered (for shipping purposes).

Speaking for myself, I will maintain the registration process and will compensate with a new skill, ADVERTISING! If you can, like any good car salesmen, convince someone that your product is useful, unique and necessary for the betterment of his/her existence, then they'll not only take the time to register, they'll pay you for the priviledge.

Or maybe I'm full of s&*$t

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    Kamino,
    Unless you are selling ###### **** I cant believe the BS about LOSING customers if they have to create an account,

WHY would the MAJOR Players require an account if it was a turn off.
    think about it, and before you say, well they are BIG stores, remember they started off with just 1 customer just like you did.

There are 2 reasons people DONT create an account
    they are buying something they are ashamed of, Hence the ###### **** statement ( not a slander I personally dont care )
    or they are shady....

OK,
    just say that YOU DONT WANT IT.
    quit trying to sell the "Customer dosnt like it " line, its OLD and wornout.
    Customers are PROGRAMMED to create accounts Just Like Pavlovs Dogs
    Dude, you dont seem to get it. You are trying to force your thinking on customers. It is the customer that is always right. You remind me of the old IBM insinuating vehemently that OS2 was better than Windows and that customers should buy it. Clearly customers disagreed.

Its ridiculous to assume that customers want something because its better for your business. Im sorry, Zencart is great but that is a major flaw in your thinking and design. You never even gave people the option of choosing a forced registration or not. Frankly, its stupid.

But what is more stupid is thinking that people DONT create accounts only if they are ashamed or shady. Thanks for ZenCart seriously. But your thoughts on this are over the top and out of touch with reality. People are being asked to create accounts every time they go to a site now. Its irritating to say the least. They just want to buy something and dont care about your database of info or attempts of getting them to come back. You lack creativity and entrepreneurialism if you cant find a way to do it! Creating a horrible buying experience is not a way to get them back.
    Last edited by MrBrightside; 6 Nov 2006 at 02:44 AM.

Plugin Contributions

MrBrightside,

This issue re-occurs every so often...

If you read this complete post, there were some relatively easy hacks to change required to not required in addition to the admin switches to turn off certian items.

For most, some information is required to allow shipping to somewhere, and even for "virtual products" to protect the seller, some information is required to prevent a download link from being diseminated across the web. i.e. only the account user that purchased the item can download it.

So without some type of accounting for who purchases what, how would you suggest that this be controlled?

"Register" is a term and this terminology can be changed i.e. "Create an Account" - "Provide Shipping Information" - "Download Tracking Info" - and/or any other terms that you might prefer.

Bottomline, to protect you for virtual products and/or to provide you with someplace to ship what is purchased, this function is important. For US based operations, this information tracking/substantiating of transactions is necessary for IRS if you are required to verify your sales.

Call it what you like, but this is a function that is necessary. Make it appear as un-imposing to your clientle as you want, and do not use it for re-contacting via mail or any other mode if this is your choice.

I am sure that your customers want to receive the items that they purchase and to do this they must provide some information and they know and understand this.

This information is the only requested upon checkout and a shopper is not required to supply it until they are prepared to make a purchase.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I get the point that you can change the wording of the log in. Still, having a customer remember an ID and password is what it is no matter what you call it. Its a nuissance to the customer.

thank you for the explanation. I read the whole thread and cannot find out how I can undo the login. I thought the address and contact info will be saved with every transaction. Is there not a database ID for the transaction that is linked to their info? If so, then why do you need a login? I guess Im missing something.

Plugin Contributions

The point is that not every customer wants to have to login. So you give them a choice or you disable it. Not everyone wants to shut it off and thats fine. But for those of us who know what our customers want and know they dont want to have to login, then this is something we need. If you are still looking for the fix. PM me

Robert
    Kamino84

Plugin Contributions

Kamino84.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamino84
    And there are many many other carts that are well known that dont require logins.
    Again this has been an issue before, this is how Zencart functions, as you seem to know of others that are more to your liking, look to them.

This is not an issue that can be altered easily if at all and the development team has addressed it many times. No need to continue flaming the issue.

You know your customer's sentiments best, so if required get them one of those other carts that meet the need.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

See that again is the problem with those who think customers have to login. Why cant zen-cart be used if we dont want logins? It is a very very easy fix and while zen-cart developers may not want to make the change, for those who want it, it can be done with two very simple changes in two files and your done.

Plugin Contributions

This is on the list of things to do ... it is not on Today's list of things to do ...

If you need it Today ... feel free to write this now for yourself or post in the Commercial Help Wanted and someone can write this code for you Today ...

But as to the Zen Cart Development Team saying "we won't do this" is not true ...

What we said was, we won't do this Today ... but you are free to do so at your leisure ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kamino84 View Post
    ...But for those of us who know what our customers want and know they dont want to have to login, then this is something we need. If you are still looking for the fix. PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamino84 View Post
    It is a very very easy fix and while zen-cart developers may not want to make the change, for those who want it, it can be done with two very simple changes in two files and your done.
    Why not post your recommended changes here?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast