Plugin Contributions

tried to install for the first time manually ang got several warnings, is it OK?

Hi, all of my previous installations/upgrades have been done through Fantastico without a glitch.

However, I think it's time I learn how to do it manually. After trying to do it manually I got this warnings before proceeding to installation.

PHP API Mode = cgi Click here for more info
    PHP Max Execution Time per page = 30

Register Globals = ON Click here for more info

MySQL Version = Unknown Click here for more info

PHP session.use_trans_sid = ON Click here for more info

I have been running my ZC shop with this host for about 6 months without any problems and very good performance, I didn't even know PHP was being run as CGI, not that I really know what that means. :)

So my question is, is it OK to install with this settings?

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: tried to install for the first time manually ang got several warnings, is it OK?

You're OK to run with these settings, though register_globals OFF would be more secure (and avoid a Zen Cart Admin bug).

The main impact of PHP being run as a script is speed. It's significantly slower.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: tried to install for the first time manually ang got several warnings, is it OK?

Thanks.

I will get try to get the register_globals thing to OFF.
    I just read something on this with my webhost, doesn't seem too difficult.

My site has been running very smoothly and fast. If it runs so well like it is, I can only imagine how fast it would be if it wasn't running PHP as CGI.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Oops. Should also have said that you need to set session.use_trans_sid to OFF. The Wiki link posted by Dr Byte is very helpful on this point.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Re: tried to install for the first time manually ang got several warnings, is it OK?

Yes, thank you very much for your help.
    This seems a bit simpler than what my host says.

They say that anyone using any php should create a php.ini file with at least the following entries:
    register_globals = Off
    session.use_trans_sid = 0

If using php4 the php.ini file should be placed in every directory. If using php5 only one is needed in the html_public directory.

Can you tell me if the .htaccess access file with the entries:
    # to turn off register_globals
    php_value register_globals 0
    # to turn off session-trans-sid
    php_value session.use_trans_sid 0

placed in the root directory works just the same?

Plugin Contributions

I'd go with what your host advises.

You can detemine which version of PHP is running on your server by going to Admin > Tools > Server Info. Look for the php logo and it will tell you the version number there.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Either way works. They're suggesting the php.ini approach.

If your host supports the use of .htaccess files, then placing one with the contents above into the root of your site should take care of it too. They may not like the .htaccess approach on their server's configuration.

Again, either way "may" work.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, the .htaccess file didn't work, I'll have to use a php.ini file in every folder.