Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Documentation on the Override System

Brings a tear to my eye when they leave the nest for their first flight......
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    Brings a tear to my eye when they leave the nest for their first flight......
    LOL ... you do have a way with words, Mike !!

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

LOL thanks again everyone!

Plugin Contributions

Unfortunately, I read this after I have already done a good bit of customization on the classic template.

Would it be possible for me to just copy the classic folder that I have customized and name it classic_new or something like that?

Would that then be my "override" folder?

And then the includes/languages/english/classic/header.php file would be put in that classic_new folder? Or would I make an includes/languages/english/classic_new/ folder and put the header.php file that I've customized into that?

The same with any file that I've customized that has to do with the classic template?

Am I getting it? LOL... I'd just hate to think that all the work I've done so far would be wasted if I upgrade.

Thanks for any advice.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cslactrn View Post
    Or would I make an includes/languages/english/classic_new/ folder and put the header.php file that I've customized into that?

The same with any file that I've customized that has to do with the classic template?

Am I getting it? LOL... I'd just hate to think that all the work I've done so far would be wasted if I upgrade.

Thanks for any advice.
    Yes, that's the idea. If you know what file you modified, you can copy them into folders for your custom template.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Why does, what seems like, straight forward processes have to be chopped up into hundreds of disparate bits and pieces that make it impossible to see the big picture? Why? Why?
    The overall process of getting a page of content to display includes
    - examing the URL request
    - getting stuff from the database
    - assembling the HTML header
    - assembling the navigation bar
    - assembling links to images
    - assembling the on-page content
    - grabbing the language-dependant buttons and links
    - sending the page to thebrowser

You have to do all of the database stuff before you send anything out to the browser, therefore stuff will be spread out through several parts of the code.

A large number of blog and cart systems start sending HTML out to the browser before they have even decided which records to read from the database. Those systems are unable to send a proper 404 error when there is nothing in the database for the requested page number!

ZenCart, like many other advanced web applications, is a very intricate system catering for a wide variety of e-comm needs, and for most people various functions and chunks of template will be discarded.

Additionally, if the code were one long file it would be impossible to work on.

Plugin Contributions

Hi i was wondering if i can override tpl.header. I tried many stuff but only with override the actual file is working for me..any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes. Overriding /includes/templates/template_default/common/tpl_header.php is as simple as copying that file to your own custom template folder and making the changes there.
    ie: put the file at /includes/templates/NAME_OF_YOUR_TEMPLATE_FOLDER/common/tpl_header.php

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Yes. Overriding /includes/templates/template_default/common/tpl_header.php is as simple as copying that file to your own custom template folder and making the changes there.
    ie: put the file at /includes/templates/NAME_OF_YOUR_TEMPLATE_FOLDER/common/tpl_header.php
    Hi. Well i do have already my own custom template so my directory is: includes/templates/enk_sales/common/tpl_header.php so i guess i should just make changes there and thats it. I just wanted to not override my own custom template just in case i make a coding mistake. BUt i guess the best way is just to rename the file im changing and upload the new one...
    Do you have a better way maybe?

Also another small question. When i upload products images do i upload them to /images/large and also /images/medium because i did upload them to just the images folder it self and i had to create another images folder inside the image for me to see them in the store. images/images...
    Thanks
    Last edited by kobiadato; 7 Aug 2012 at 07:18 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by g1smd View Post
    if the code were one long file it would be impossible to work on.
    So, I am wondering, how is the code otherwise "visualized" to possibly track down issues? I realize there are those that see the code, recognize the compartmentalization and can relatively quickly determine the status of a given object, but I was wondering if there is some sort of object oriented visualization of what files are loaded, a long view of the code at the point of execution, that sort of thing. I hoof it out like what I think others do, starting at what I see working back to what created it. I guess I just remember the good ole days when programs were a mere few thousand lines long, whereas ZC is probably on the order of a few 100 thousand at any given time.

I guess wondering if there is a php parser/assembler that would plugin all of the dependencies given a known starting point I currently use NetBeans to do my code work, but I'm wondering if the debug option (when properly setup) would give more of what I'm looking for?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234