Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Documentation on the Override System

In reading through stuff on templating many people point here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...on_-_Templates

Well, have any of you tried clicking on any of the links down at the bottom lately? The "quick links"??? Lotta "you can't get there from here" going on. And the link to "notify the administrator" doesn't seem to do anything.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by doneinstyle View Post
    In reading through stuff on templating many people point here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...on_-_Templates

Well, have any of you tried clicking on any of the links down at the bottom lately? The "quick links"??? Lotta "you can't get there from here" going on. And the link to "notify the administrator" doesn't seem to do anything.
    The links have been updated.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I am sorry for this question, but I am at my wits end and can not figure it out. I need to change the "Congratulations you have installed..." and I have read the post and read the faq's but do not for the life of me know where to go to open the includes/languages/ENGLISH/index.php file . If anyone can tell me how to do this I would really appreciate the help.

Plugin Contributions

Presuming you read this article:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=129

You would need to edit the file on your computer then upload the changed file to your Hosting account; replacing the file that is there with your new one.

Plugin Contributions

Yes I did read that article. I do not know where to go to edit the file and then upload it.

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Good site maintainence requires one to download their entire Hosting account onto their computer. This not only gives a backup of the site, in case anything happens with the hosting account, but allows one to edit files on their computer then upload the changed file. This means both, your computer files and hosting account files should pretty much be the same.

After downloading your files you would edit this file on your computer:
    includes/languages/english/index.php

Save it on your computer like this:
    includes/languages/english/your_template/index.php

Then upload the changed file to your Hosting account.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob View Post
    Good site maintainence requires one to download their entire Hosting account onto their computer. This not only gives a backup of the site, in case anything happens with the hosting account, but allows one to edit files on their computer then upload the changed file. This means both, your computer files and hosting account files should pretty much be the same.

After downloading your files you would edit this file on your computer:
    includes/languages/english/index.php

Save it on your computer like this:
    includes/languages/english/your_template/index.php

Then upload the changed file to your Hosting account.
    I'm having the same problem, i can't change the congratulations message. I downloaded the languages folder onto my hard drive and then create my custom folder called magic per the manual. I then edited the includes/languages/english/index.php file and uploaded it to my custom folder on my server and then went to refresh my store but the changes were not made. Am i missing something!?!?!

Plugin Contributions

GRRRRR......i'm just crazy tired!!! I've been trying to solve this for an hour or so and its so stupid. I assumed the book "E-Start your webstore with Zen Cart" is correct on page 276. It tells you to edit the includes/languages/english/index.php and then upload it to your server at includes/languages/magic (magic=custom) but the online article (https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=129) which is correct tells you to put it in includes/languages/english/magic (CUSTOM)

and to think i spent money on this book, this is the third error i have found!!!! GRRRRR and i suck at searching through forums and really try not to double post so it took me a while just to find this thread!!!! Well hopefully this saves someone else the troubles i went through!!!

Plugin Contributions

I apologize for any mistakes in the book.

Errata/Updates for the book can be found at the Cucumber Media site. They are accessed via the Book Support side-box. If you spot any errors, you can also send them to Book Feedback via the Contact Us page on that site.

With respect to the "error" you pointed out on pg 276. I have re-read that section and found that it is poorly worded and hence the confusion.

I should have expanded on the sentence "Find the file with the text you want to change and copy it to your override directory" from step 3 and incorporated it somewhere in step 2.

To determine which override directory to use, you can re-visit point 2.2 on page 271.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

help question Re: Documentation on the Override System

Question RE: The Override System:

Both the manual and the FAQ, as well as the tutorials assume one is starting with a basic installation when setting up the Override System.

In addition to installing the cart, I've also installed a template. It is THAT template I want to customize (vs. creating an override for the Classic Template).

Question: How can setting up the Override System as instructed possibly affect the BareBones Template I want to customize since it's files are in an entirely different folder than the Classic & Template_default directories?

It seems to me that using the Override System as explained would have no effect on the Barebones Template that I'm trying to customize.

Question: Regarding these files in the BareBones Template Folder:

includes/templates/barebones/template_info.php
    includes/templates/barebones/css/stylesheet.css
    includes/templates/barebones/images/barebones_screenshot.png

Do I need to copy these files and/or folders into some place in my Override System and then dump the barebones folder altogether?

If so, where should I copy them to?

Would I copy them to:

includes/templates/<my template name>/
    or
    includes/templates/template_default/

And what about the includes/templates/classic/ director? Do I need to copy any of the barebones files or folders into that?

If so, where? Do I need to copy different pieces of it in to different places?

I'm very confused about the whole system.

Remember, my goal is to customize the barebones template, vs. the classic template.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast