Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Troubleshooting help - can't log in to admin!

I built a site for someone that was functioning fine for about a month. Now, she suddenly can't log into her admin end. She has two user names, and neither one of them can get into her admin end.

When I try to log in, the page pauses as if it is going to let me in, but then both the names and password fields clear themselves ( like the page just refreshes).

I logged into phpMyadmin and looked at the name/ passwords from the admin table. The user names are there, but the password is a bunch of numbers/ letters (encrypted?). I tried entering the number/ letter sequence shown in phpMyadmin as the login password, but I go the message ' You entered the wrong username or password.'
    So, it looks like the software can recongnize when I enter the wrong information. When I enter the correct information, it must know that also, since it is not giving me that message. But it does not allow access to the admin end of the site.

What other files should I be looking at in order to figure out how to get into the admin?

Other factors:
    She has not tried to change or modify her login info, it just suddenly one day did not work.
    Also, she uses Powweb and they recently moved her site to a new platform. Could something with that be causing the problem? She does have a shared SSL certificate through them which I thought was only for her checkout pages, but is it possible that powweb moved that link and that is causing an issue?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default could this be it?

I did some more nosing around in her control panel. It says that her database is on a differnt number than what I have in her configure file. Numbers are changed to protect the inocent, but in her Cpanel, below her database name, it reads:

Database is on mysql24.powweb.com

I opened up her configure file from her includes folder, and it reads:

define('DB_SERVER', 'mysql22.powweb.com').

I am thinking to just change the number on her configuration file to the number I found in her Cpanel, perhaps this problem was caused by her site being migrated to another platform? Just wanted to get some input before I make this change. Also, if this is the case, is there anyplace else I would need to make a change?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Troubleshooting help - can't log in to admin!

Hi Laura

That's a very credible explanation. There are two configure.php files to be changed. One in includes and the other in admin/includes.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

HI Kuroi,

I called powweb and they confirmed that I needed to change her database connection info. to the new server. Thye said the only place I would need to make this change is in the 2 configuration files, where it says DB_SERVER.

I updated both of the configuration files, uploaded them and still cannot log in (that thing is still happening where the system seems to know it is the right password/ name, but just refreshed the page instead of allowing entry.)

I've done a bit of research today on powweb/ zencart and it seems that a lot of others have had this same problem with powweb's migration and I haven't really seen anyone resolve it. I am now thinking of just telling her to switch hosting companies. Not sure what else to do in this case. Anything else you'd suggest?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

When you say that "the system seems to know it is the right password/ name, but just refreshed the page instead of allowing entry." I assume that it does so with displaying the "You entered the wrong username or password." message. I'm afraid that this is a situation that I've not seen before.

I hesitate to suggest these steps since I'm sure you will already have tried them, but have you done a resend password against a user id that you have checked exists via phpMyAdmin?

If that didn't work, have you tried resetting the password of a selected user manually by inserting
    351683ea4e19efe34874b501fdbf9792:9b
    into the user's password field (via phpMyAdmin). This is the Zen Cart encrypted string for a password of "admin".

If those don't work, is your client using a secure server, and so maybe getting access to the admin page initially, but failing to get a proper response back from a secure server which is checking the loigin (an area where my knowledge it pitifully limited, so please feel free to through stones if this is a daft suggestion).
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Hi Kuroi,

When I enter the wrong user name or password, the system does give me the 'wrong user name/ password' message. But when I enter the correct info, the page thinks for a minute, then either the page refreshes or the fields reset (depending on the browser). I took that encrypted string, inserted that in phpmyAdmin, and it still does not work. Password reminders are not being sent to the email address when requested.

My client is using a (shared) secured server, I checked to see if that address had changed (it did) and put the new address in the configuration files, but still no luck. Your last sentence about failing to get a response from the secured server sounds accurate. One of my browsers gives me a message that the page is not secure now when I try to log into the admin.

I know everything else is in place, I checked her database tables and files line by line against a clean install, (at first I thought I could have done something to cause her login issue) so I am pretty positive that this has to do with the migration. Plus, the second that the site was migrated, she could not log in).

I am just thinking that there may be a lot more things I would need to change than the configuration file info. I read online some where that "PowWeb operates PHP from the cgi-bin - so perhaps when they moved servers some settings changed e.g. the path to the cgi-bin. When the site was installed, some references to the cgi bin are installed into the head of every root level file, so the references in her files need to be changed also."

Her host does not seem to be such a good one for Zencart from what I have read. I know I had some trouble with the installation /warning messages because they will not allow file permissions to be set below 644. Now they will not allow 77 either. I filed a support ticket with them but I am not sure how familiar they are with Zencart and if they will know what else needs to change.

Thanks for your help!

Laura

Plugin Contributions

What happens if you turn off the secure in the /admin/configure.php
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi Linda,

I made the change:
    define('ENABLE_SSL_ADMIN', 'false');

but the same thing happened where the fields just reset themselves rather than allow entry into the admin end.

Thanks,

Laura

Plugin Contributions

Could you post from the server, without your username and password, the file:
    /admin/includes/configure.php

And the file, from the server, without your username and password, for:
    /includes/configure.php
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi Linda,

I heard back from the hosting company and they are saying they are able to log in, so I don't know what to think at this point. I cannot log in, (I've cleared my cache and tried on multiple computers/ browsers) and the people I built the site for cannot log in either. I am thinking that this week I am going to just suggest that they just switch hosting companies, as it seems that of others have had the same issue, but if I can get this resolved, of course that would be even better. I am posting my config files below:

includes > configure.php

<?php
    /**
    * @package Configuration Settings
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2006 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    */

// Define the webserver and path parameters
    // HTTP_SERVER is your Main webserver: eg, http://www.yourdomain.com
    // HTTPS_SERVER is your Secure webserver: eg, https://www.yourdomain.com
    define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://abigailchapin.com');
    define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://achapin.powweb.com');

// Use secure webserver for checkout procedure?
    define('ENABLE_SSL', 'true');

// NOTE: be sure to leave the trailing '/' at the end of these lines if you make changes!
    // * DIR_WS_* = Webserver directories (virtual/URL)
    // these paths are relative to top of your webspace ... (ie: under the public_html or httpdocs folder)
    define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');
    define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');
    define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');
    define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');
    define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');
    define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');
    define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');
    define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'pub/');
    define('DIR_WS_TEMPLATES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'templates/');

define('DIR_WS_PHPBB', '/');

// * DIR_FS_* = Filesystem directories (local/physical)
    //the following path is a COMPLETE path to your Zen Cart files. eg: /var/www/vhost/accountname/public_html/store/
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/www/a/b/abigailchapin.com/htdocs/catalog/');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');
    define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');
    define('DIR_WS_UPLOADS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'uploads/');
    define('DIR_FS_UPLOADS', DIR_FS_CATALOG . DIR_WS_UPLOADS);
    define('DIR_FS_EMAIL_TEMPLATES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'email/');

// define our database connection
    define('DB_TYPE', 'mysql');
    define('DB_PREFIX', '');
    define('DB_SERVER', 'mysql14.powweb.com'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty
    define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', '---------');
    define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', '---------');
    define('DB_DATABASE', '------------');
    define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persistent connections?
    define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'db'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'db'

// The next 2 "defines" are for SQL cache support.
    // For SQL_CACHE_METHOD, you can select from: none, database, or file
    // If you choose "file", then you need to set the DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE to a directory where your apache
    // or webserver user has write privileges (chmod 666 or 777). We recommend using the "cache" folder inside the Zen Cart folder
    // ie: /path/to/your/webspace/public_html/zen/cache -- leave no trailing slash
    define('SQL_CACHE_METHOD', 'none');
    define('DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE', '/www/a/b/abigailchapin.com/htdocs/catalog/cache');

?>

2. admin > includes > configure.php

<?php
    //
    /**
    * @package Configuration Settings
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2006 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    */

// Define the webserver and path parameters
    // Main webserver: eg, http://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers
    // HTTP_SERVER is your Main webserver: eg, http://www.yourdomain.com
    // HTTPS_SERVER is your Secure webserver: eg, https://www.yourdomain.com
    // HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER is your Main webserver: eg, http://www.yourdomain.com
    // HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER is your Secure webserver: eg, https://www.yourdomain.com
    /*
    * URLs for your site will be built via:
    * HTTP_SERVER plus DIR_WS_ADMIN or
    * HTTPS_SERVER plus DIR_WS_HTTPS_ADMIN or
    * HTTP_SERVER plus DIR_WS_CATALOG or
    * HTTPS_SERVER plus DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG
    * ...depending on your system configuration settings
    */
    define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://abigailchapin.com');
    define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://achapin.powweb.com');
    define('HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER', 'http://abigailchapin.com');
    define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER', 'https://achapin.powweb.com');

// Use secure webserver for catalog module and/or admin areas?
    define('ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG', 'true');
    define('ENABLE_SSL_ADMIN', 'true');

// NOTE: be sure to leave the trailing '/' at the end of these lines if you make changes!
    // * DIR_WS_* = Webserver directories (virtual/URL)
    // these paths are relative to top of your webspace ... (ie: under the public_html or httpdocs folder)
    define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/catalog/admin/');
    define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');
    define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_ADMIN', '/catalog/admin/');
    define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');
    define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');
    define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_IMAGES', HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'images/');
    define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_TEMPLATE', HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'includes/templates/');
    define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');
    define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');
    define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');
    define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');
    define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');
    define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');
    define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');

// * DIR_FS_* = Filesystem directories (local/physical)
    //the following path is a COMPLETE path to your Zen Cart files. eg: /var/www/vhost/accountname/public_html/store/
    define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/www/a/b/abigailchapin.com/htdocs/catalog/admin/');
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/www/a/b/abigailchapin.com/htdocs/catalog/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'images/');
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/modules/');
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_TEMPLATES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/templates/');
    define('DIR_FS_BACKUP', DIR_FS_ADMIN . 'backups/');
    define('DIR_FS_EMAIL_TEMPLATES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'email/');
    define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');

// define our database connection
    define('DB_TYPE', 'mysql');
    define('DB_PREFIX', '');
    define('DB_SERVER', 'mysql14.powweb.com'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty
    define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', '-------');
    define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', '-------');
    define('DB_DATABASE', '-------');
    define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persistent connections?
    define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'db'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'db'

// The next 2 "defines" are for SQL cache support.
    // For SQL_CACHE_METHOD, you can select from: none, database, or file
    // If you choose "file", then you need to set the DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE to a directory where your apache
    // or webserver user has write privileges (chmod 666 or 777). We recommend using the "cache" folder inside the Zen Cart folder
    // ie: /path/to/your/webspace/public_html/zen/cache -- leave no trailing slash
    define('SQL_CACHE_METHOD', 'none');
    define('DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE', '/www/a/b/abigailchapin.com/htdocs/catalog/cache');

?>

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast