Plugin Contributions

Default USPS shipping - overcharging??

I have been using the USPS shipping module since I moved to Zen Cart last year and so far it has worked fine...until today. I just noticed an order that came in overnight that seemed to have a higher cost of shipping on it. I ship all my items via Priority Mail and this particular item is rated at 1 lb. which should come up as $4.05 (well, I add $0.80 for handling, so $4.85). This one came up as $6.85.

I ship out of New York and the item was going to California...however, that shouldn't matter at all because Priority Mail is a flat fee for anything 1 lb. and under. I tried another California address and sure enough, it comes up as $6.85. Did something change recently? I have not altered my settings so I don't know what could have happeend.

The weird thing is that it seems to show correct shipping for my local address so I don't think it has been affected by all areas. Also, I checked the shipping charges on the USPS website for the zip code in California and it also shows up the correct price.

Anyone have the same problem?

EDIT: I am using version 1.2.X...I forget which release exactly, but it's the one right before 1.3. I also see a thread on a new USPS shipping module...will this solve my problem?
    Last edited by fright-rags; 12 Jul 2006 at 11:27 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: USPS shipping - overcharging??

I'll bet the product came in at just over 1 lb. That would account for the New York to LA cost of 6.05 + .80 = 6.85

Plugin Contributions

Not sure how it could have come in over a pund...the item is set at exactly 1 lb. and I don't add any extra.

The weird thing is that it seemed to have fixed itself...I just tried it again with the same address and it works fine. I wonder if it was some glitch in the USPS server?

Plugin Contributions

Did yu check in the Shipping/Packaging for the Tare weight on the packages for your boxing and bubblewrap?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Yeah, I checked all that and it was thje way Ihad it set up before. I think I solved it though. I sell t-shirts and I usually set up my products for a half pound...but I accidentally set up some new products as exactly a pound. Since the Priority Mail charges go up after a pound, it might have just been a little glitch in the server or the way it processed it. I set everything back to a half pound and it works now...whew!