Plugin Contributions

Default Google Translate Kills SSL

Hi!

I just noticed that if someone is using the google translate top frame, it kills all SSL functionally in ZC. All SSL pages are non secure, as the data appears to be sent to google first then back again via regular http.

I added the tag <meta name="google" value="notranslate"> to my html_header to stop this behavior.
    Zencart 1.3.9h - PHP 5.2.13 - My SQL 5.0.84 - Apache 1.3.41

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Google Translate Kills SSL

Hi Dharma,

I've added a Google Translator sidebox to my site by making a banner out of Google's 'Translate' code and putting it in a sidebox. This seems to have exactly the same effect as using the free Google Translate Sidebox Module. But it worries me that anyone using it to translate the main page will be taken via Google to an unsecured page if they click on 'log in'.

Quote Originally Posted by dharma View Post
    I just noticed that if someone is using the google translate top frame, it kills all SSL functionally in ZC. All SSL pages are non secure, as the data appears to be sent to google first then back again via regular http.
    I added the tag <meta name="google" value="notranslate"> to my html_header to stop this behavior.
    Dharma, does this mean that after you added the tag, people using the Google Translate sidebox on your site simply will never be directed to a page that's supposed to be secure? Ie they can't log in using their own language?

I would prefer to add your tag rather than put people's information at risk. But not being a coder, I don't fully understand your instructions. Whereabouts is html_header located? and would your fix work for the way I've set up the Google Translator sidebox?

All the best
    Caf
    http://www.my-bookcafe.com/shop/inde...ex&language=en

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Google Translate Kills SSL

I've just worked out the answers to my own questions.
    Inserting that code into /var/www/html/shop/includes/templates/CUSTOM/common/html_header.php makes the Google translator stop working entirely, thus making the sidebox redundant.
    It looks as if the only secure way to add languages to Zen Cart is with proper language modules rather than all-purpose translators.