Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New York Sales Tax

OK, great...thanks for letting me know the answer to this. Yea, the longer you can put this off, the better. Even better to vote on it, if they let you...they probably won't but you might live in a state that values the sanity of their e-tailers more than the Buckeye State does. I guess they figure that we are all nuts anyhow, so what difference does it make?

Plugin Contributions

The only reason I have been able to put it off is because we're not processing sales on our site yet. NY has had the requirement for destination sales tax for decades. The sales tax report form is four pages long, crammed with spaces to fill in. They don't care if you do mail order or e-tail, they just want their money and information if you are based in NY.

Plugin Contributions

Hi All,

I'm a NY State Zen Cart shop owner also trying to figure out a solution. One additional frustrating thing is that the NY State Tax folks obviously understand that this is an issue...they have created a calculator to assist in determining the total tax based on address.

However there is no API to access this, simply a web form so no way to leverage this in a module as far as I know. But obviously the information is there and able to be derived programmatically based on an address.

http://www7.nystax.gov/STLR/stlrHome

Until something is figured out, looks like it's lowest common denominator 7% for us.

-Don

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fabienne View Post
    Well, I went over the edge yesterday and worked on putting the 80+ counties in Ohio in my Zen Cart. It appears to have worked! I am so pleased. Every one from Williams to Ashtabula is in there. I found out how to do it from the forum here but there (of course) is a catch. You follow the model from New York Sales Tax. NY put this (dreadful) tax into effect last year and since then Zen Cart has been responding. One couple wrote in and said to :
    1. Create a zone for each of the counties/cities
    2. create tax zones for each tax rate
    3. create a zone definitions for each tax zone
    4. Remove your state as a state by itself and replace with your state and your county.
    Maybe the Zen Cart had changed slightly from that recipe so you had to do things in a slightly different order. Here is what I found:

So creating a zone is easy for each county but you have to keep each of the codes as OH (or whatever state you are doing). Otherwise the customer's address will be whatever code you put in and the post office won't deliver the package unless it has the proper state name. So Ashtabula County still has to be OH.

You have to set up the Zone Definitions next. This is when you set up the tax levels (6% sales tax, 6.25% sales tax, etc.).

Then you have to take each of the above tax rates, go to "Details" , choose "Insert" and put in each county at their level. So Ashtabula has to be defined as a 6.5% sales tax state, etc.

Then you have to define tax rates (drop down menu) you have to input the different levels again-->New Rate--->Taxable goods--->Zone--->The Rate (with no % just the numbers like "6.5")--> Description that you want your clients to see like "Your taxation without representation" or "Sales tax for your county 6.5%"). Do not fill in the priority area.

So, that's what I did and it seems to work. I can be from Cincinnati and "buy" something on my site and have it shipped to Williams county and get charged 7% sales tax which is what should happen.

If I am wrong about this in any way, please let me know.
    How does one know what county a city belongs to?

WHen the customer orders something, how does ZenCart know their address is within Ashtabula county?
    Creative Arc - Minneapolis Web Design

Plugin Contributions

The shopowner has to use their state sales tax reporting info to set everything up correctly.

The customer will be required to select a county/state combination when creating an account, not just the shop home state. This will be as accurate as people's willingness and ability to be truthful about their complete address.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ryoken99 View Post
    i just got of the phone with a representative of NYS Tax dept
    • Sales Tax Information Center 1-800-698-2909

He said
    "Sales tax in NY is based upon where the consumer takes posession of the item
    If you are shipping outside NY then NY sales tax does not apply.
    If you are shipping with in NY state then tax applies depending on the county it was shipped to."

This makes everything that more complicated.
    I also called and also visited the local sales tax office and they told me the exact same thing.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Yes I agree with Chez. The tax collected is the sales tax at the point of sale (your county)

Having to collect tax from the buyer's county is unreasonable, and could never be enforced.
    Thats not what the NYS sales tax office tells me

Plugin Contributions

ranger_lp
    Is this implementation still working for you?
    I need to setup a NY state based taxing system and would like to know how its going.

Plugin Contributions

I like the way that is set-up.

I've been working on it, but am having a problem somewhere. I'm putting in all of New Yorks 62 counties, but ran into a brick wall somewhere. I'm trying to insert a screen capture to explain better.

What am I missing ( or forfetting to do )?

Most entries are tagged in red...not configured. I thought I was doing the same thing to each, Obviously I'm not.

Thank-You for any help.

Man..what a head-ache.

Plugin Contributions

hmmm, any updates on this?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast