Plugin Contributions

Default Stuck PayPal orders. Why?

Hi,

Today for the first time I noticed some orders in my PayPal account but not in my admin.
    Then inside my admin, I clicked on "View Stuck PayPal Orders", and yes the missing orders where there. Also, There were some orders that shouldn't be stuck.

Then I clicked on " Move To Orders Database", but I get the following error.
    PAYPAL_PUSHORDER_PASS is not defined! TIP: read readme.txt!

Questions:
    1.Why do these orders get stuck and how to fix that?
    2. Which Readme.txt file is it referring to ?

Thanks as always.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Stuck PayPal orders. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by samar777 View Post
    1.Why do these orders get stuck and how to fix that?
    Why? because the PayPal IPN/Standard relies on waiting for PayPal's server to find a way to communicate to *your* server to save the completed order.
    If *anything* goes wrong in that process, the order will never show in your store.

Options:
    a) Change to using Express Checkout instead, since it doesn't have all the technical dependencies that IPN does. *This is the RECOMMENDED approach*.
    Express Checkout is FAR more reliable.
    b) and/or fix all the possible communication problems between PayPal's server and yours. Some tips can be found here: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/PayPal

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I think it was a one day thing. possibly my server wasn't responding well.

I use both express checkout as well as PayPal Payments Pro.

how about the answer to that second question? I would like to send those stuck orders to my admin, but the error mentioned above shows up. Which readme.txt file do I need to read to configure Stuck PayPal option> Send to Orders Database.

Thanks DrByte.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're not using Website Payments Standard, then you don't have any "stuck orders" to push to the database.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

yes I using all 3 of paypal payment options. Express, Standard, and Payments Pro.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte, Thanks I got it working.

I figured out that I had installed PayPal Sessions Viewer module, and read it readme.txt file again, and did some minor adjustments.

Its working now for the most part, except that a couple orders are still missing.

I just emailed my customers to find out what they had ordered. hopefully it wont happen any longer.

Have a good weekend.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by samar777 View Post
    yes I using all 3 of paypal payment options. Express, Standard, and Payments Pro.
    Frankly, that's dumb.

Standard is archaic.
    Express is recommended, and provides the same functionality as Standard, but in a much more reliable way.

Having both installed at the same time just leaves customers confused since they end up seeing TWO PayPal choices on the checkout_payment screen, and then they wonder which one they should choose.

It is STRONGLY advised that you go to Admin->Modules->Payment, and click on PayPal Website Payments Standard, and click the Remove button.
    Your customers will be less confused during checkout, and thus more likely to complete purchases, and you'll have less administration, and you won't have any "stuck" orders anymore.

Payments Pro is a different category altogether, and is unrelated to this discussion, so should be left alone.

Thanks for this post. I've been using Standard for a long time & didn't realize the benefits of Express. And Express wasn't nearly as hard to set up as I thought it would be.
    Last edited by cowgirlmodel; 25 Jul 2010 at 09:11 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Took PayPal Standard off.

Number of orders increased by 8% in two days.

Thank you!