Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Custom Template Advice Please

Hi Folks,

I know I ask too many questions..lol.. but I really need to get my head around the Custom Template procedure. I have read various threads, but need a couple of stupidly simple questions answering to help me get my head around it.

My web host set up my basic shop template for me so I am not sure which one they have used. I found this advice on a thread, but can you answer my questions highlighted in red. (as silly as they may seem)

First, you need to make a new directory for your custom template files.

Open: includes/templates/ and add a folder. (You may call it anything you want, but in this FAQ we will be calling it my_template.)
    Where and how do I open the includes/templates/ folder.

Create an empty folder inside your new template directory and call it images ... so you should have includes/ templates/ my_template/ images/.
    Do I create it in windows explorer?

Next, copy the includes/ templates/ template_default/ css directory from includes/ templates/ template_default/ and place the new folder and its files in your new includes/ templates/ my_template/ folder.
    Do I use the classic one or the template_default one? I am presuming the template_default one. I have attched a pic of both of them, and what folders they contain, as I dont want to do it wrong.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...late_query.jpg

Copy the stylesheet.css from includes/ templates/ template_default/ css to includes/ templates/ my_template/ css. This is the stylesheet you will be editing.
    Again, not sure exaclty where to copy these to/from

Then you copy the file called includes/ templates/ template_default/ template_info.php, and put it inside includes/ templates/ my_template/.

Again, not sure exaclty where to copy these to/from

Next open includes/ templates/ my_template/ template_info.php in your favorite text editor.
    I am not sure how to open the files, have tried, but cant, when I open notepad, and go to file>open, when I look for the files I cant find them, and when I go into frontpage to access my remote server, I can see the files there, but there is no option to edit them (ie, when I r click, there is no option)

I am so so sorry, if these questions seems really really stupid, but I need to ask otherwise I am never going to be able to change things properly.

I see so many threads that say to change things here:

example - (in includes/languages/english.php)
    Code:

define('LANGUAGE_CURRENCY', 'AUD');

But can never find the files to change them

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure I put all info in.

Kindest Regads
    Nikki

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Custom Template Advice Please

Do you have a good FTP program?

Plugin Contributions

Hiya Kim,

I use Frontpage (I know a lot of people dont think it is not very good at all, but it was all I had at the time. I do have dreamweaver, but couldnt work out how to use it, and thought that if I changed from FP to DW, it might muck things up with my web host.

I am sorry if I sound so vague, but I am a total newbie at web design, so some of the terminology goes straight over my head, and I dont understand it.

I love doing this, but will love it more when I understand a bit more. I have tried to read the WIKI, but ended up more confused

Thanks
    Nikki

Plugin Contributions

Hey Nikki! I am a total new person at this too. I have DW8 and it's totally confusing for me also for FTP stuff.

Lots of people have reccomended FileZilla to me and the FireFTP extension for FireFox browser.

Both are free, I have and use both and they are wayyy easier. You just have to find out the FTP info from your host if you don't know it. Then you can open/upload/download files as you wish.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Ladysaat,

Thank you so much for that, I am sure my host must be fed up with me by now..lol..
    I will definatly try FileZilla and the FireFTP extension for FireFox browser, and hopefully it will be easier. I am so pc literate, that I am getting frustrated, but I know it will all come good.

They say all good things come to those who wait, so lets hope so

Thanks again
    Kind Regards
    Nikki

Plugin Contributions

okay do you know what your domain is? What your host information is?

Better way to put it: Do you have access to your hosting stuff? Like a control panel? If you do I bet there is a menu/something to click on that says FTP. In there should list the information that will correspond with the blanks that need to be filled in when you set up either of the programs.

Like your FTP login name, password and host IP address.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Ladysaat,

I will be able to find the information now thanks to your great advice, I have a printout from my host with all of that information on it somewhere.

I have a feeling this will be a god send

Thanks again
    Take Care
    Nikki

Plugin Contributions

ladysaat,

Ooohhh gawd, I am so sorry for asking soooo many questions.

I have read the following instructions on how to set up a new template, but am not 100% sure what I am doing, as my web host set up the template default I am using now.

So if I want to create my own, I must firstly create my own template (questions I am not sure about are below) and then I use FileZilla and the FireFTP extension to ammend the files within the new template.

Hope thats right

Thanks again
    Kindest Regards
    Nikki

Here is the tutorial I was stuck with..

1. make a new folder, perhaps something like:

includes/templates/mary

This is the working area for your own custom template
    I created this folder in windows explorer, is that right?

2. make 4 subfolders in there:

- common

- css

- images

- templates

I also created these in windows explorer, is that right?

3. copy the existing files from the template_default/css and template_default/images into the appropriate folders in your new working area
    I looked for this in Windows Explorer, and couldnt find it, should I copy it from my remote server, as that is the only place I can find it?

4. copy the "tpl_header.php" from the template_default/common folder

You'll want to edit this file to incorporate your custom page-header. This is the appearance of the tops of all your pages.

How do I edit this

5. copy the "tpl_footer.php" from the template_default/common folder

You can edit the footer area to appear as you like.
    How do I edit this

Thanks for your time

Plugin Contributions

The custom folder "Mary" needs to be created on your server. When you set up FTP you should see a list of files much like you see with Windows Explorer. Only difference is WinExp is showing you files on your computer, whereas FTP is showing you files on your server (just think of your server as your second computer hard drive that you keep somewhere else). So you'd click on your file that corresponds to your domain name. I.E. www.mydomain.com would be a file that is named 'mydomain' (minus the single quote). You click on that and inside would be the file for your entire store. Same idea with the name. When you click on the store file it will open and show the file structure. Just like you'd browse through your home computer files via windows explorer.

Where to put the custom folders:
    Go to your domain

go to your store folder

go to includes

go to templates

go to "mary" (you will have to create this folder right here first)

Then click on "mary" and create the other folders it says to create.

On your home computer:

Okay you'll need to create a folder in your "My Documents". That's where you'll download (move it from your server to your own computer) files to, so you can work on them.

Then you'll need to use DW to edit the code in the files. I also have CrimsonText Editor. Honestly DW8 is a monster to learn how to use but I do all my changes and such in there, for some reason it just has more tools with "dummy-buttons" (readily visible for one click kinda thing). Crimson editor requires me to know what I'm doing instead of pretending

Plugin Contributions

Awwww Bless you Ladysaat you are a diamond, I understand it a lot more now you have explained it so well, THANK YOU SO MUCH

I am gonna get my head stuck into it tommorow, and I am sure with your superb description even a complete newbie like me can do it.

I will post here and let you know how I get along.

Once again A MASSIVE THANK YOU

Kindest Regards
    Nikki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast